What's the best dirt bike motorcycle chain?

I'm going to get a new chain for my new bike before I even ride it becuase the stock one sucks. That way I'll get hours from the good sprockets they put on.

What's the best posible chain I can buy. Should I use x- ring? I know not to use o-ring that's for enduro bikes mainly. I was looking at the IRIS RXP chain. Is that a good chain? What's the best?

Thanks... ?

READ DIRT BIKE MOTORCYCLE CHAINS REVIEWS

I don't know much about KTM stock chains but Honda and Yamaha have great chains. The stock chain usually last longer than anything I have ever used. You might be suprised with the quality of the KTM chain.

i also disagree with this

i rode this weekend and my stock yamaha chain stretched so bad that even if i had the wheel adjusted as far back as it can go, it would of still had at least 7 inches of slack in it

So whats wrong with the o-ring chains?

Nothing at all if you are trail riding or doing HS stuff...I use one (Regina ORN6). The downside is that they rob horsepower and for mx you might as well get everything that you can out of the bike. I don't think it's a noticable difference on a 450 but mx racing a 250 or a 125 I would not use an o-ring chain.

If you put two bikes up on stands, one with an o-ring chain and one with a regular chain and spin the rear wheel by hand you would be amazed at the difference.

DID VMX 520. It's not as expensive as the DID ERT, but is a very good chain.

It uses an X shaped ring, instead of an O ring. Supposed to hold the lube in better. I have one and it's been a great chain. No stretch. Not cheap. $100+. By the time you add in the new sprockets, your in it almost $200. But, they will last a long time, especially if you get good steel sprockets.

As has already been noted, MX specific chains do not have the same type of sealing rings. They are designed to have minimum friction and allow max power. The problem is they stretch and wear out very fast. In doing so, they will also destroy those nice light aluminum sprockets just as fast. And, if you ignore them they may break and, possibly, destroy your engine case or body along the way. If you use an MX type chain, you would be well advised to be diligent in your maintenance and be prepared to change the chain and sprockets more often.

The bike is brand new. I'm not getting new sprockets, the stock sprockets (Sunstars) are very good, providing you change the chain straight away. That way the stock chain won't wear real quick and reder the original good sprockets useless since you can't put a new chain on old sprockets, you'd have to go buy everything new. I change the chain from brand new never ridden. I think the type of chain you've got also determins how quickly the sprockets wear, you gotta have good sprockets and a good chain in combination. I like the look of the stock Sunstar sprockets too...

• Like 1

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to What's the best dirt bike motorcycle chain?