Sign in to follow this  

sick and tired....

...of this throttle cable set-up.

Before someone tells me to ditch the return cable can anyone tell me what good it does. It's only guided by the throttle tube. The only spring is in the carb body itself. There is no adjustment on the cable and mine seems very stretched. There is an adjustment on the actual throttle cable though.

Am I looking at this right? There must be a way to get some snap back. This sacked out cable is one thing and when I disconnected it there still is no speedy return. :thumbsup:

Four strokes have the return cable because it is thought that the vacuum created by the engine is enough to actually hold the slide open (stuck throttle). The cable allows you to manually return the throttle. I know of several people who have removed it without any problems. I personally would not chance it. If you think about it, does it matter if your throttle snaps back like a two stroke anyway? How often do you take your hand off the throttle to let it return while riding? My guess is never. It returns at the rate you turn your wrist. Just my $.02.

Four strokes have the return cable because it is thought that the vacuum created by the engine is enough to actually hold the slide open (stuck throttle). The cable allows you to manually return the throttle. I know of several people who have removed it without any problems. I personally would not chance it. If you think about it, does it matter if your throttle snaps back like a two stroke anyway? How often do you take your hand off the throttle to let it return while riding? My guess is never. It returns at the rate you turn your wrist. Just my $.02.

so you never notice a sticky throttle then? it does make a difference IMO, riding with a sticky throttle sucks!

I don't know what you are calling a "sticky throttle". I have an 06 crf250 as well and no, the throttle does not snap back like a two stroke but I don't consider it a sticky throttle and no, I never notice it while riding. Now if your the type of rider who rides their bike for a season and never cleans the throttle tube or lubes the cables, maybe you would notice. With proper maintenance...Not a problem :thumbsup:

i am getting way too good at redoin throttles, i know what you mean. try going to the pro taper ball bearing throttle tube, and if that doesn't work i'd say get new cables :thumbsup:

yep, we were hesitant to eliminate the return cable, but now with that mod & with a ball bearing tube also---its a hands down major improvement---from what I've read, the return[cable] was a liability concern which is understandable considering the lack of maintenance that varies, but you can see several after market throttle assemblies with single cable---

I use the Quick Action Gasser Throttle assembly with a single cable and it snaps back great.Closed to full open in just less than quarter of a turn.We run on the ovals flat out throttle all the time and it has never failed to close the slide ever.Buy a cable oiler and a tin of wd 40

You definately don't need it to snap back but on a couple of occasions I have had the throttle stick while riding because I had not inspected and cleaned it.

.....I am interested in seeing how the new throttles on the 07 look. I beleive they changed them but maybe it's nothing. Pics? :thumbsup:

Mine wasn't snapping back to well the other day, so I seperated the halves on the throttle assy and sprayed some WD-40 in there and all was good again.

first off, the return is adjusted by the carb (hence the lock nut)

and the pull cable is adjusted on the bars.

second off, adjustin ghte return would have anything to do with the snap, it does although have to do with the amount of play in the tube.

the retun is important because if you frey a trottle cable, by having a return you can push the throttle tube forward to bring it back to idle, and it has saved me once,

in the point of needing a return, you dont, you can run a single, i did one day when my return broke.

i would do the wd-40 trick, get a cable luber too, they work wonders :thumbsup:

I took them off and lubed them.

The only adjusters are on the throttle cable : Minor adjustments at throttle tube. Major adjustments at carb body.

The return cable does not have the adjusters that the throttle cable has- and yes I do feel that the return cable is a good safety.:thumbsup: