Sign in to follow this  

Home brewed tire softener

Has anyone ever tried this home brewed tire softener, a 50/50 mixture of the chemical Toluene and diesel fuel? What were the results?

It's a tire softener trick that stock car racers used to use, but is banned at most all tracks because of the advantage, and the fact that Toluene, in it's pure form, pollutes the environment.

Toluene, also known as Methylbenzene, is used as a fuel additive to increase the octane.

Be advised, I'm not saying that I am, or am not going to use it, this is for informational purposes only. 👍

Do you mean on a bike, or on cars? I wear tires on my bike out fast enough without making the rubber softer. And the last time I checked, my truck only makes 275 hp, so I don't really think I need it on that end either... :lame:

Unless you're drag racing, why would you want to do this? 👍

Do you mean on a bike, or on cars? I wear tires on my bike out fast enough without making the rubber softer. And the last time I checked, my truck only makes 275 hp, so I don't really think I need it on that end either... :lame:

Unless you're drag racing, why would you want to do this? 👍

I agree. Tires are soft enough as it is. Maybe it could help in trials type riding, on rocks and such?

Is this for dirt or pavement?! Either way, I'd rather let the mfgs. use the cancer causing chemicals and build me the proper tire for the applicaton I need without having to be near that crap.

Is this for dirt or pavement?!

Both. Dirt Track / Motard.

Either way, I'd rather let the mfgs. use the cancer causing chemicals and build me the proper tire for the applicaton I need without having to be near that crap.

Point well taken!

Softer compound tires may not last as long, but the traction is amazing.

When I raced cars, we used Turpentine to soften tires. The strange thing was the tires lasted longer and hooked up better.

When I raced cars, we used Turpentine to soften tires. The strange thing was the tires lasted longer and hooked up better.

maybe they lasted longer because they hooked up?

I think you are correct. We would "paint" on the turpentine, using a roller. Then cover the tires with saran wrap and leave them for a couple of days. I went from 100 laps per tire change, to 500 laps. Might work in supermoto.

It'd be worth doing if it's legal. The tyres that the Pro MXers use are actually softer than the off shelf tyres, they use special compound tyres.

It'd be worth doing if it's legal. The tyres that the Pro MXers use are actually softer than the off shelf tyres, they use special compound tyres.
They can afford to spoon on another tire before each moto. I can't.

i had a set of those factory dunlop compound tires that was given from a pro and those things were sweet! It sucks being an amateur 👍