big jumps

i am a semi experienced 85 rider that is pretty good on a motocross track but just can get over the fear of launching big jumps like wildcat creek for example i can do doubles just fine big huge one freak me out how can i help get past that?

How are you on the two tabletops @ wildcat?

If you can clear that last TT before the finishline, you should have no trouble at all on the big double.

You're scared because you're not quite ready. Once you hit a little bit longer jumps, you'll start to feel more comfortable moving the bike around in the air. You'll also feel more confident at estimating the speed you need to clear a big jump, which is a HUGE factor for success.

Just keep working the smaller jumps and moving the bike around in the air. Any time you can clear the next bigger jump, do it, as long as it's a table, or something forgiving. It's a natural progression. Once you reach a certain degree of jumping experience, you kinda get a good feel and confidence for it. Confidence comes with control. Control comes with time and technique.

Keep working at it. It will come. ?

You're scared because you're not quite ready. Once you hit a little bit longer jumps, you'll start to feel more comfortable moving the bike around in the air. You'll also feel more confident at estimating the speed you need to clear a big jump, which is a HUGE factor for success.

Just keep working the smaller jumps and moving the bike around in the air. Any time you can clear the next bigger jump, do it, as long as it's a table, or something forgiving. It's a natural progression. Once you reach a certain degree of jumping experience, you kinda get a good feel and confidence for it. Confidence comes with control. Control comes with time and technique.

Keep working at it. It will come. ?

Well said!!!! ^^^^^

injury free is the most important thing at your age.

One day you will be riding that track and coming up on the jump with no fear at all and you will just go over it perfectly.

Do not force it, it means you do not have the skills yet to do it safely. It may take a year or 2 at that track. You Are YOUNG !!!! Take your time and stay healthy!!!!

One thing that I have tried to do is over-jump easy stuff on the track. It gets you comfortable with the speed and height. I'll take a jump that I can do no problem and add 1/4 throttle. Sure I flatland sometimes, but it builds up my confidence without pushing myself over a big jump.

I never use to hit jumps in 4'th, but now I'm getting more use to the speed and the height and doing it safely over a long table top. Then when I go to try the double, I mentally picture the table top and try to replicate my movements and block out the actual jump that I am on. (It's not as hard as it sounds). I clear it every time, but it took me all summer to build myself up.

I'm at an awkward stage so finding people to follow isn't easy. They are either way too fast, or I blow by them. So over jumping is something that seems to work for me.

Good luck and ride safe.

• 3 weeks later...
Experience, become an excellent jumper and then from a lot of practice. First you have to know and understand all the jumping techniques, then you have to be able to do them correctly and then its a matter of repetition; doing them over and over again; that's what practice is all about. :mad:

Just remember, MC is extreamly experiened and he went over the bars at his own invitational..............just be careful...