Baja - ride pics from 3 day 480 miler. Tecate to San Felipe

Well... always an adventure...

I don't have a lot of time to post a ride recap, but I'll send the links to the pics. Hilarious, beautiful and simply awesome...

We rode Friday 9/22 from Rancho Ojai (Tecate) to San Felipe. Spent Saturday just hanging out and then rode home Sunday (again from San Felipe to Tecate). Overall just under a 500 mile run for the weekend.

The highlights;

5 bikes, and two buggys.

2 chase trucks w/flatbed trailers

Route to felipe;

- One bad bike "get off" at high speed.

- One broken buggy (put back on the trailer) (welded in Felipe)

Route from Felipe;

- The other buggy broke (welded in Independencia) 1.5hr downtime

Both times we left at about 8:30am and were in the dark the last 30 miles of the ride (due to the issues and downtime). Thank goodness for HIDs!

Johnny J's pics (268 photos);

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=skkgtod.88g9cqsd&Uy=4ip5bm&Ux=0

(some of my pics are redundant since I had my camera in 'burst' mode)

Reed H's pics (part 1 of 2 - totalling 440 pics)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=skkgtod.4ubddz31&Uy=ytup8d&Ux=0

Reed H's pics (part 2 of 2 - totalling 440 pics)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=skkgtod.1o3c9l5p&Uy=4i6gl4&Ux=0

We also have 2+hrs of video (in car mostly) that I'll put on DVD with some editing. Should be pretty cool footage.

:thumbsup:

Was that Coffee that crashed? Looked like a fellow XR650 rider I met on the Sierra Safari.

He seemed to be walking in some of the other photo's, so I hope he's ok.

What's that Coffee that crashed? Looked like a fellow XR650 rider I met on the Sierra Safari.

He seemed to be walking in some of the other photo's, so I hope he's ok.

Interestingly enough.... it's not "coffee" (the TT sign in name), but his last name sounds like it. His sign in name is "1Hondalover" and his first name is Jim.

He was hurt and I had to haul butt 30 miles to get my truck/trailer... come back and pick him up (about 6 miles off the pavement). However, yes... he was walking on his own the next day (under light pain medication) and in much better shape. I've yet to hear if he visited a US doctor or not....

His 'get off' was easily over 65mph... as he and I were just tapped (over 70) in some old San Felipe SCORE course sand wash... however, I had just backed off 200 yards prior... and didn't hit the corner and whoops that caught him off guard.

... he was lucky for sure.

How did that KX500 fare as far as reliability at WOT is concerned?

that looks like an awesome ride!!! I liked the pics of the cow that was torn from the inside out.

I've yet to hear if he visited a US doctor or not....... he was lucky for sure.

Damn lucky indeed......bolstered by the support of my A-1 Compadres! You guys made a bad situation the best it could be. I owe you all.

Body report #1: Xrays say NO BROKEN BONES! This morning's visit got the thumbs up from my standard Doc.

Future Body report #2: A visit to the MRI chamber in a few days to check the pounding this crash delivered to an old L4/L5 surgery. Hopefully my specialty Doc will deliver the same verdict.

As JohnnyAirtime said.....full report soon.

ALL PICTURE LINKS ARE UP!!

Enduro...

That KX is religiously beat, and even more religiously maintained. He knows every dollar spent, every hour on the motor... every fine detail, and it "fairs" very well. He runs it a tad rich... and has to carry 2g on his back as well as his rear tank. He's waiting for his '07 WR to come in, and he'll retire the '04 KX to the dunes.

Tattoo...

We run across a lot of dead cows, horses, and odd things out there. They are just left behind... But did ya catch the cow's head in the pan??? "Tacos De Cabeza" is a specialty... EeewwwW!

Jim...

AWESOME news on your back!! I'm sure your okay... your a MACK truck! :p Great news... you'll soon be ready for the next one!! And like I said... I'd do it again and again for ya! However... I'd have an issue if I had scratched my new Excursion paint.... :lame:

awsome pics looks like some great riding.

WOW! Way to go JA....Who arranges this ride? I'd like to go next time...details please?

God I need some of that.

WOW! Way to go JA....Who arranges this ride? I'd like to go next time...details please?

God I need some of that.

hehehe.... it's a secret club... :eek:

No really it's only me, and some buddies. I do the organizing, promoting (getting the guys fired up) and leading (or directing as I don't always want clean goggles), as well as making sure all goes well. Which means I usually screen pretty hard. I usually don't take newbies to the group (but do make acceptions every once in a while), and I like to keep the ride fairly small. Plus, it's not a "tour" persay... just a bunch of us out to have fun, and deal with my sarcasm. :bonk: If you can deal with me... that's have the battle! :bonk:

If your interested in coming with us in the future, I'd suggest coming out for a "day run" where we only ride 120-160miles in a day and then come home. Being your from TX... that'd be kinda tough to pull off. :lame:

Ask "1Hondalover" how he got in to the group with out riding with us first!! That guy can work it! (hahaha... just kiddin' Jim) ....however, he's got some good resume material. :thumbsup:

:p

I added a map (here and in KodakGallery) with some detail to show the route, and where we had issues.

... when it says "Mark's buggy...." that was on the trip South. It broke early on, and had to be driven out to the highway at La Rumarosa. It was picked up there and trailered with the other buggy all the way to Felipe.

... when it says "Bobby's buggy...." that was on our trip back North. It was welded in Independencia, so you can see it went quite a ways North into town. The green track shows the detour we took out to the highway and back onto our route. As well, it shows how we took the "easy" roads from Laguna Hanson (out towards Ojos) to Santa Veronica to make up time.

... there's an X where Jim crashed... he was almost in the mud (yes MUD!) of the dry lake bed. Amazing to ride in the heat of 100 degrees and there's still mud in the lake bed. They must have gotten a lot of rain recently as there were a lot of new washouts and ruts along our trek.

Enjoy....

(here it is for those who want just the link)

MAP-zoomout.jpg

woah that's a ton of pics...nice job :thumbsup:

now stop teasing us with bits of info and drop the ride report all ready :lame: