front suspension problem? or not?

05 crf250x with springs replaced on front end. My concern is that the front does not move freely. At least initially. When I try to compress the front forks there is resistence then it gives in and cycles freely. Is this in need of concern. When I bought the bike I was told it was set up for a 200# rider (have the reciepts) which is my size.

Thaks for any help.

Rockaukum

05 crf250x with springs replaced on front end. My concern is that the front does not move freely. At least initially. When I try to compress the front forks there is resistence then it gives in and cycles freely. Is this in need of concern. When I bought the bike I was told it was set up for a 200# rider (have the reciepts) which is my size.

Thaks for any help.

Rockaukum

Sounds like you might have the R/S fork bound up on the axle. Check it like this........

One of the most common fork problems I see is bound up forks due to improper installation of the front wheel. Its very easy to avoid this problem by taking these easy steps...

1.) Install both forks and set fork height using calipers or a ruler. It is important that fork height be exactly the same for both sides. Tighten pinch bolts to the proper specs (Top: 18 Ft-Lbs | Lower: 15 Ft-Lbs).

2.) Install the axle and tighten the axle nut to proper spec (75 Ft-Lbs). If the axle turns while tightening, tighten one right side axle pinch bolt to hold axle in place.

3.) Tighten both left side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

4.) With the left side axle pinch bolts and axle nut tightened, loosen the right side axle pinch bolts. Take a small flathead screwdriver and carefully tap it into the slot between the two right side axle pinch bolts. This will enlarge the axle hole. You will then be able to grab the bottom of the right side fork tube and push it in and pull it out freely. The fork will settle naturally into position on the axle without binding.

5.) Remove the screwdriver and tighten the right side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

If you're wondering if your forks are currently bound up, put your bike on a stand and start this procedure at Step 4.

Also, NEVER use a metal hammer to install the axle. It will mushroom the end of it and make it impossible to adjust. If this happens just use a bench grinder to grind the lip off the end and then check to make sure the inner hole hasn't been damaged too.

Bound forks are a leading cause of premature bushing wear, air build-up, and fork harshness. All of which can be avoided by following these easy steps.

doc

Thanks for the information. I'm at work until Wednesday AM so I'll try to adjust the axle then. there was air in both front tubes. Once the air was released that is when I was able to move the suspension through the cycle.

It was very difficult to collapse the front prior to this. I thought the stiff front was due to a higher setting so I sofened it 4 clicks but that was tooo soft. I ended up by adjusting only one click, but i'll try the fork adjustment and reset the stiffness back to the original setting.

Thanks again,

rockaukum