Sign in to follow this  

Need help on vintage suzuki.

Hi there. Me and my dad need help on a question. We are looking up some old dual range dual purpose motorcycles. And we want to know when was the last year they made dual range motorcycles. Also what was the biggest dual range bike they had.

probably not what your looking for... but i cant resist. honda built a dual range bike as late as the early '80s- the cb900c and the cb1000c.... thats probably the biggest anyways...

Are you asking about "Dual Sport" bikes? If you mean dual sport, most of the manufacturers still offer a couple of models. The biggest are bikes like the Kawasaki KLR 650 or Suzuki DR 650. KTM and BMW do make models that are larger, but they are bikes that are best left to expert level riders.

ahhh.... that would make more sense. honda did have some dual range trail 90s and yamaha had a version as well back in the late '60s. if your looking for an older DUAL SPORT then i would look for an old honda XL. (i kick myself every time i tell someone that... if you go out and actually find one, that means its one less for me!). Very tough bikes and very forgiving too, just a little on the heavy side.

Kawasaki used to make the 120 with a dual range transmision in the late 60's. Suzuki made a 90 with the dual range trans and later it became a 100, I think Suzuki also has a fat tire bike that also had the dual range trans, all in the early to mid 70's.

They never stopped. Suzuki just went bigger and for a while made a 600 that looked like it had a 15 gallon tank on it. Ditch the huge tank put a smaller plastic one and you are right back in the hunt. Yamaha had plenty of D/S bikes. Kawasaki had some too. KTM though late to join in has had something going foeever since they started. You just had to kick them over with your left foot. As for right now Suzuki makes 2 fine D/S's the DRZ 400 and the 650. Either with a bit more work and some sage advice from Eddie and you will have a bike that will pull you around a very longtime and do a pretty darn good job of it too. pdawg

Not dual sport, dual range. My understanding is that Kawasaki or suzuki made one around 100 to 125 cc. Dual range was acutally in the rear hub if I remember correctly.

hondas and yamahas dual range was a switch on the side of the engine- it was actually in the transmission. that would be cool if it was in the hub- you could find an old hub, have it relaced to a modern wheel and put it on a new bike!

If memory serves me, Kawasaki made a "dual range" bike called the Big Horn, or something like that? It was a 350cc, I think? Or was it BSA? Or am I getting too old to remember all this stuff? Ahhhh, never mind, I'll go back to sleep. :thumbsup:

i have a 1972 suzuki tc120 in my shop.3 hi and 3 lo for 6 speeds.lo is too slow for reg riding. 1st in hi is tough to start on flat ground.nice shape,better to look at then to ride.

Suzuki built a TC-125 and TC-185 dual range through 1977 at least. They were identical to the TS-125 and TS-185 with the exception of having the dual range transmission.

I think the dual range hub your thinking of is just two sprokets mounted on the hub one big for trails and one small for street. Dual ranges are simply sub transmissions mounted outside the case on the countershaft, many 90-125cc trail bikes of the late 60s early 70s had them and I think honda used them all the way into the 80s because im fairly certain that the old ATC110s had them.

I also havent seen anyone bring up the old Husky auto trannies from the 80s I know they wre all the rage when introduced

i know in 72 suzuki had the tc-90 which had the dual range lever on the left side case. they did have the tc-125 that same year. i had a ts-125j duster. glenf seems to have a handle on the later years. in the 70's, dual purpose was called enduro.....

Hi there. Me and my dad need help on a question. We are looking up some old dual range dual purpose motorcycles. And we want to know when was the last year they made dual range motorcycles. Also what was the biggest dual range bike they had.

The Suzuki TC185 Ranger had 10 gears, 5 for street and 5 for dirt.

144440.jpg

The Suzuki TC125 Prospector had 8 gears, 4 street, 4 dirt.

144441.jpg

:censored:

Jeff

2002 ATK 260LQ

1997 ATK 605DS

1971 Yamaha DT-1 250

That's right - I still have a green 72' TC-90 bought new - just registered to investigate restoring it vs. tossing it. I used to own the TC-100 also. Both had a big rocker lever on the engine's L side for high and low range, 4 spds in each. And yes, they made others with H and L range including the big ATV tired bikes (before atv's existed). Low range was quite low, but good for most off-roading, 1st was a creeper. Alternately, high range seemed a bit too high. The 90 would top-out at ~ 55 - 60MPH however. I mainly rode the 100 - and it would spank me buddies XL-100 at the time! hehehe

I had a 76 TC100 (dual range transmission) a couple of years ago. In low gear it would crawl up anything. My brother has it now but it's turned into a TS100 VMX bike with a different engine.

DSC03248-2.jpg

SP

Kawasaki Big Horns did not have a dual range transmision, straight 5 speeds they where. They did have a rotary valve intake and three axle positions for the front wheel.

i have a 1972 suzuki tc120 in my shop.3 hi and 3 lo for 6 speeds.lo is too slow for reg riding. 1st in hi is tough to start on flat ground.nice shape,better to look at then to ride.

I had one of those TC 120 's (3 speeds low range, 3 speeds high range).

The 3 speed was a bad deal for a 120 cc bike (118 cc actual). Low range was ridiculously low and in high range you didn't have a decent spread of gears to use. Plus, the high/low selector switch mechanism kept breaking on mine, so I kept it in high range all the time. It certainly wasn't fast in any range.:banghead:

But it was a nimble little (street legal) bike though. I remember before I bought it - I saw a brochure with a pic of the 120 throwing a rooster tail in the dunes. Yeah, probably because it was stuck and trying to get moving.:ride: