Sign in to follow this  

need some help on old school dual purpose motorcycles.

Hi there. Me and my dad need help on a question. We are looking up some old dual range dual purpose motorcycles. And we want to know when was the last year they made dual range motorcycles. Also what was the biggest dual range bike they had.

thanks for any and all help

Kaw. KE100 2 stroke. I don't know the last year, but they had one in 2000.

Street legal, 187lbs, 5spd. I'm not sure tis one has the high/low gearing option.

Does the old Harley-Davidson (Aermacchi) Rapido 125 trail bike with dual rear sprockets count? I can't remember the year - early to mid 70's probably - but my next door neighbor had one and it sure has heck blew away our Briggs & Straton powered mini bikes.

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/data/articlestandard/dirtbike/232006/331924/harleyrapido125.jpg

Suzuki also built a TC125... 4speed dual range, into the mid '70's.

I've got a '72, owned by my family since new. We had another, but sold it years ago.

It was very simular mechanically to their TS125 - 5 speed (we had 2 of those along the way too!)

I think they also built a TC185.... same kinda deal.

Don't know if they built any bigger than that.

I have a 1965 Suzuki K15 also know as the "Hillbilly 80" and it has 2 sprockets on the rear. Small sprocket has 32 teeth and large sprocket has 54 teeth. They made these from 65-68. I also have a 71 Harley Rapido 125 that has dual rear sprockets. I'm not sure of the teeth difference because I am just starting on that project.

1974 Kawi 125 had dual range trans, I just sold one last month. Worthless in the modern era, no power, brakes, suspension. Nice museum piece but much like riding a moped in either trans setting. The trans will not make up for its other shortcomings in any way, shape or form.

Hi there. Me and my dad need help on a question. We are looking up some old dual range dual purpose motorcycles. And we want to know when was the last year they made dual range motorcycles. Also what was the biggest dual range bike they had.

thanks for any and all help

Looks like the Suzuki TC production ended around 1976. There was a TC90, 100, 125, 185, 250, and 305. Personally, I've only seen a TC185 & TC125. These all had a hi-low range ~

JM

1974 Kawi 125 had dual range trans, I just sold one last month. Worthless in the modern era, no power, brakes, suspension. Nice museum piece but much like riding a moped in either trans setting. The trans will not make up for its other shortcomings in any way, shape or form.

what he said