400EX motor Transplant

Has anyone see or heard of this being done? I would love to see some photos if you got any. Any help would be appreciated.

I have two XR400s, one is street legal the other is dirt only with the motor in pieces. I can put it all back together with a few tranny parts but my goal is to buy a 400ex quad motor and drop it into my Street legal XR and use the motor that comes out of it to get the dirt only bike up and running (then I will have spare motor parts up the kazoo. I want to use all the EX wiring & battery and put the clutch side cover from one of the XRs to keep the kicker option. The bike has room behind the left side cover plastic to mount a battery box like on an XR650L. I have a welder and thought I could weld something to the sub frame.

I will take photos of the transformation and post them here as I go...

I've heard it can be done if you do a search here you should find some helpful information from a year or two ago. I saw a 400 conversion on e-bay a little while back also.

I've heard it can be done if you do a search here you should find some helpful information from a year or two ago. I saw a 400 conversion on e-bay a little while back also.
I saw the E start conversion on Ebay also but it costed as much as a newer quad motor. I tried to do a search but it was disabled, I will try again later now that I know I might find something...

Thanx

10-2-06

I just got a running 02 400EX motor with the starter motor, complete wiring harness with battery and battery box all for $500! Motor was pulled from a wrecked quad and was running when removed. It turns over freely and gets all gears so I am probably going to just drop it in for now and replace the top end with the XR parts (white bros. high comp piston) later on...

if you could ever get an 05 or newere than you'd have a reverse gear. that'd be weird. wonder if it'd ever come in handy for anything.

if you could ever get an 05 or newere than you'd have a reverse gear. that'd be weird. wonder if it'd ever come in handy for anything.

Dirtbike magazine did a conversion using an '05 400ex motor. I think I remember the reverse being pretty much useless.

Reverse and two wheels don't mix well. Electric start is all I need.

But wouldn't that be a hoot, get stuck in some mud (or at least appear stuck), drop it in reverse and back out. hahaha

now that would be cool! and for sure very useful! your riding buddies will be amazed at how easy it is for you to get out of muddy conditions.hehehe

i saw a yamaha DT125 here in the philippines with a reverse. i asked him how he did it and all he said was he just added a switch to his wirings. i dont know how he did it but it was cool seeing a dirtbike go reverse. :devil:

Reverse and two wheels don't mix well. Electric start is all I need.

don't tell the goldwing guys that - they LOVE their reverse :devil: