Lost and Found.. what do you do?

So, I found someone's boots and I was on the fence about whether to take them or not. Someone left them at the bathroom by the ranger station. Check the ranger station to see if there is a lost and found? I had just seen the ranger go the opposite direction. Let's say they had a lost and found, they arent active about searching for the person. They rely on the person to come pick up their goods. I thought about leaving them. I figure someone take them for themselves, throw them away, etc etc long before the owner got home and was unpacking before realizing they had lost their boots.

I've seen a post on here where a rider picked up a digital camera hoping to find the owner. I forget where, Gorman?

I think it would be a good idea to add a lost and found forum here at TT.

What do you guys do?

Here's the original thread. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419911&parentpage=2

Since 69 people looked at this thread and didn't reply...

I am guessing you guys are the type to see it and leave it.

(bump)

I'd leave them there in hopes that the person would figure out they left them and come back to look for them.

If there's a ranger shack right there (or main office at a track), that's the logical place to turn them in. And the logical place that the owner will check (or even call) after realizing that they left the boots behind.

So, I found someone's boots and I was on the fence about whether to take them or not. Someone left them at the bathroom by the ranger station. Check the ranger station to see if there is a lost and found? I had just seen the ranger go the opposite direction. Let's say they had a lost and found, they arent active about searching for the person. They rely on the person to come pick up their goods. I thought about leaving them. I figure someone take them for themselves, throw them away, etc etc long before the owner got home and was unpacking before realizing they had lost their boots.

I'd leave them at the ranger station with a note explaining where they were found and a comment that if they weren't claimed, I'd like them - assuming you'd like them.

Look at it this way, if you left your boots behind, what would you want the guy that found them to do?

^^^I like this option. By the sound of it, you already took the boots so who really cares. If you did take them and are feeling guilty, call the station and let them know how you can be contacted should someone contact them about their lost boots. I understand not leaving them because the next joe would find them and take them. At least you have a conscience(sp?) and spending time thinking about what is the right thing to do. You should definitely give the station your info and ask them to contact you if someone calls looking. They aren't going to care that you took lost boots.

^^^ Yeah, given that you took them home for safe keeping, calling the Ranger shack is the best overall option. Good idea. :thumbsup: