Green Dot ride today...... solo.

Had a great ride today. Went to the LT Murray area and entered at Joe Watt Canyon. Did the big loop around to Tamarack Springs. Hit the 3120 and went down all the way to Taneum Creek. I turned around at the pavement right before the campground. Should have been armed... could have had 2 grouse and a coyote. Saw 2 3pt minimum bucks too. All the big hunting is closed now for a bit so it was nice to have the woods pretty much empty. Saw two guys on quads scouting for game.

Now before anybody scolds me for riding by myself.... I was careful. Kept it in 2nd & 3rd most of the day. Actually have phone service on most of that area. Got in 60 easy miles by 12:30. Forgot how darn rocky all the areas on top are. Keep the pressure up if you ride there. And be nice to the horse people out there. I only saw 2 from a distance, but it seems to be one of their favorites.

Anyone know the story with John's Rock and the gravesites (I saw at least 3) at Tamarack Springs?

Joe Watt Canyon is where I go hunting. My dad has been taking me up there my whole life (36yrs). It is where I've done lots riding, hiking, shooting, camping, hunting, etc.

The loop you mentioned is one of my favorites. The other loop goes the other way (just before Tamarack Springs Campground) and drops down into Manastash Canyon. That route is a little more rocky and steeper, but still fun.

The grave sites near Tamarack Springs CG, well the one that is the "white woman's grave" is from the late 1800's when this area was being settled for cattle raising. According to the Olmstead's Place SP it is the burial site of Mrs. Charles Williams and her baby. I do not know the stories of the other graves.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the info! The next time I think I'll bring the family (boys will both have bikes by spring, wife willing) and the pop-up and stay a night or 2.

The Green Dots can be fun easy riding. My doc just told me I could ride if I don't do anything that will give my arm a big hit. First thing that came to my mind is the upper green dots Quilomene. This Saturday I am hoping to get out for the first time in 2 months. Slow and easy. :thumbsup:

Im gonna jump in here and introduce myself as a long time TT member but a newbie to Washington. Not gonna tell you where I came from cause they are not nice there. Just settled in my new home in Maple Valley and looking to ride SOON. Don't know where to go yet. Could you TTers give me a few names of places close by for now. I will eventually NEED to ride, I'm itchen, and I know you all know what I mean. The bike is ready. Forgive me father it's been 4 months since my last ride. :thumbsup: Need to meet new people.

Welcome to Washington :thumbsup: you are gonna like this state for riding opportunities. :lame:

TONY

Im gonna jump in here and introduce myself as a long time TT member but a newbie to Washington. Not gonna tell you where I came from cause they are not nice there. Just settled in my new home in Maple Valley and looking to ride SOON. Don't know where to go yet. Could you TTers give me a few names of places close by for now. I will eventually NEED to ride, I'm itchen, and I know you all know what I mean. The bike is ready. Forgive me father it's been 4 months since my last ride. :thumbsup: Need to meet new people.
They are having a race at RimRock this weekend (sunday).

It is in a reserviour so you can't ride there normally. It is near other riding oportunities. Come out and ride. Meet people at the events and get your feet wet. :lame:

Rimrock is south of you just over White Pass.

Rhino

Welcome to town. I live right down the road. Evans Creek ORV is really close. Capitol Forest is an easy drive from here too. This is the site you need http://www.nmaoffroad.org/

Click on the riding areas link and get your map out. You can get to Taneum in just a couple hours as well. Unless you hit the morning commute on HWY18 east. Urrrg!!

Anyway, give it a look and let me know whenever you want to ride. I'm a family guy so I can't get out as often as I'd like, but I'm sure you know how that goes...

Hey Nick, I'm selling the big XR. Thanks for all your tips on the BRP. Posted on craiglist and here. Going with a 300 EXC is all goes right. Yep, going to the dark side of 2-smokers. LOL

Do you need to be plated to ride the green dot roads?

Also, I have hunted for years very close to Tamarack Springs (our camp is about 50 yds down the 123 road where it intersects with 3330) and I have seen the "white woman's" grave...but where are the others?

Could it be that you are from San Perdro?

I'm about 1/2 an hour north of you in Bothell and ride all over the place...be happy to show around some. Like Rhino says the Rimrock GP would be a great event...I was going to race it until I separated my shoulder on Sunday. Fortunately my ortho guy said 2 - 4 weeks and I should be good to go, the doc at the clinic said 6 - 8 weeks! I may show up at Rimrock anyways just to watch.

No, you don't need anything. You can walk, bicycle, ride a horse, ATV, moto, car or truck. As long as you stay on the roads that are designated with a green dot (there are actually more roads currently signed open than on the map) you're good. If you start going cross country (like the deer hunters I saw) then you can get in trouble. You can also, and I quote from the map I'm looking at "Vehicle Camping Allowed Within 100 feet of Open Roads Unless Otherwise Posted". So you can camp too. And you can hunt and fish if the season is open since it's Fish & Wildlife land in the 1st place. So you may not be popular if you rail through there on opening day of deer season, but you'll be legal. Just wear your brightest jersey and you should make it. lol

Thanks SKYRIVER and YZ426F Rider and others for the input. It looks like I may not be able to get out this weekend. There is a possibility I may be able to do a quick very local putt sunday. Any takers? I still have a lot of boxes to unpack, BUT as I stated above, I am itchen for a ride. Yes, San Pedro, no mystery there. I will have to get the old California bike registered here. Do I do that at the Wa state vehicle licensing dept? My sticker is good through 2007 for cali.

Yep, you can get your ORV sticker at any vehicle licensing office.

The Green Dots can be fun easy riding. My doc just told me I could ride if I don't do anything that will give my arm a big hit. First thing that came to my mind is the upper green dots Quilomene. This Saturday I am hoping to get out for the first time in 2 months. Slow and easy. :thumbsup:

Oh, my prayers have been answered!

I want to go riding this weekend, and was thinking of the Green Dots around Quilomene. Slow and easy would be just fine by me. Mind if I tag along?

Is Quilomene the area near Vantage?

Is Quilomene the area near Vantage?

Yes, it is not far from Ellensburg or Vantage.

Now before anybody scolds me for riding by myself....

Sometimes it is a necessary evil! Just be sure to ride within your limits...

it's not really necessary; but if you do it, be smart about it; and not only ride within your limits (whatever that means) but be prepared because even if you ride within your limit, and never fall (and whoever falls right?) you also have a pretty big chance of breaking down.

I never go out alone without a pretty good amount of equipment...

here's a partial list of what I usually carry (off the top of my head)

spare innertube, tools to fix a flat

spare clutch lever

spare shifter

zip ties

tape

spare screws, bolts, fasteners

survival blanket

whistle

compass

toilet paper

butane lighter

hand warmers

small flashlight (usually a couple of them)

tow strap

water (2 liters usually)

maps

GPS

FRS radio

my Blue Ridge Racing toolkit with lots of goodies like cotter pins, master link, locktite, JB weld etc. small pack of fire starter (yeah, you have gasoline, but what if the problem your facing is that you ran out?)

I also usually carry a jacket liner, glove liners; spare gloves - even on hot days; get caught once somewhere where you have to spend the night (or more) in the woods and you'll be glad you carried them.

for sustinance I carry energy bars, beef jerkey and glucose tablets - I'm diabetic, but even for those that aren't - they could be the difference in having enough energy to walk 10,20,50 miles out of some place and they pack a lot of calories in a small package.

Good list. I don't have a trailer for my bike so I don't carry quite that much.... I'm kidding!

I carry everything you mention except spare levers, butane lighter (have mag bar though), GPS or FRS radio in my Moose racing backpack that also carries 2 liters of water. However, if I wasn't injured beyond walking I know I have cell service (if the phone didn't break during the fall) on the north and east of the unit.

I never really think I have a "pretty big chance of breaking down", but even that would be better than a crash. I can ride at a pace that I know barring a freak accident I won't go down. I don't see any more danger in riding alone (the way I do it only once in a blue moon) than fishing a river or scaling the hills with a shotgun or rifle. In fact, I should probably pack better than I do when hunting/fishing. I've been hurt just as many times doing that as riding. Now when there's company, then I agree that there's a bigger chance of crashing and breaking down given the faster (more fun) pace.

And if you're on a big bike and go off the trail you'll most likely need your buddies to help you get the bike back anyway!!

Take it easy,

all my stuff fits in my backpack and tool pouch. If it weren’t for the bulky items like the jacket liner, it would only take about one third of the space in my backpack.

in my experience you just can't count on something not happening even though over the past several years, I have rarely fallen; never seriously crashed and have only had some minor inconveniences; still, yesterday a friend - an experienced rider who is not overly aggressive when riding with other people, broke his foot riding on fairly easy terrain. He lost his concentration in a turn and went down with the bike landing on his leg. He wasn't alone and was luckily able to ride out but had he been alone, it surely wouldn't have been as easy and he might have had to spend a lot longer out there then he planned.

I've had stuff simply come off on the trail (lost a shift lever one time, broke a chain once etc.) and I've seen stuff happen to other folks like a bike falling over while on it's kickstand in soft dirt and breaking off a clutch lever and it even had bark busters; but it hit a nice hard rock that just fit in between the barkbuster and the grip. The guy didn't have a spare lever so he had to ride some pretty tough trail back to the truck without a clutch so now I carry one all the time; it's small and light and was less then $25. I've seen master links come unlinked, cables break, chains come off, throttles get stuck WFO, spark plugs fail (on two smokers) and the rider not having a spare yada yada yada - you just never know with a complex machine how or when something will give way or you are unlucky enough to go down even though your riding within your limit. They aren't made by perfect people nor ridden by them and I like to be prepared is all I'm saying. Although you seem to take the right precautions so it sounds like we agree for the most part.