Sign in to follow this  

Another new DRZ owner!

Hello all,

After not having sat upon a motorcycle for the last 12 years (with roughly 3 hours of riding time accumulated prior to that) I finally broke down and bought a brand new 2006 DRZ400S from Renton Motorsports in Renton, Washington.

I was soooooo excited and just as nervous about the ride home. However, after a quick couple of laps around the parking lot at RMS, I cautiously rolled out onto East Valley Road and headed north for home in Seattle. Home, by the way, is roughly 10 miles away. My DRZ's ride home ended up being 25 miles!

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting some dirt miles in and reading up on the forums here...

Take care all!

JT Christianson

Welcome aboard!! You've come to the right place. Congrats on your new money pit... er... DRZ!! I think you'll find the Suzuki a great bike to re-familiarize yourself with riding. I had an 11 year span between rides. The DRZ has been a perfect choice for me. I really enjoy it.

man thats alot of new drz pwners.

I picked up my shekelgrubber(yiddishmoneypit)Saturday.

havent been off it since two 3hr naps and a night sleep lol

adrenaline is so fine a drug.

and naturally occuring .

get your modes on esp what? case guards ,radiatorand the things on your bars lol .. so excited i forget what there called

l8|2 hardcore in texas

just hand over your wallet now.... because its addicting :thumbsup:

Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to ThumperTalk!! :thumbsup:

Need I say but get rid of the stock S tires and put on some good dirt dot knobies. I have never ridden on the stock S tires because I got the E model but have heard no good things about them on dirt. To make it truely dirt worthy you will need a few things. That is what money is for.

Glad you made it home ok, :thumbsup:

Lots of good info here, especially the mods !

Best of Luck

Ron W.

That strange sucking sound you hear is your wallet.QUOTE]

Yes! My wife complains that I need hobbies that are less spendy... It's not my fault that I have so many pastimes :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the warm responses, advice, and support. I was a bit hesitant when it came to buying a motorcycle thinking to myself whether or not it was a responsible purchase... I realize now that yes, I am a responsible, married homeowner that values life and limb for the pursuit of a happy family or; I am not an assclown that will wrap himself around a tree at first opportunity.

I will be looking closely (well, I'll likely just pick up exactly what you good folks have suggested as it is I who am the newbie retard here...) at the different parts that have been suggested for protecting various vital areas on my bike. My first time out on the dirt will probably be spent concentrating on NOT laying the bike down but I do know that it will happen at some point and likely several times. So I would prefer to be able to take a spill, pick it up, and keep riding.

So for the past few days I have been riding around my neighborhood here in the Beacon Hill area of Seattle and enjoying all of the nooks and crannies (parks, city sponsored pea patches, allies, World War II era Boeing homes and facilities....it goes on and on) that I would have never seen just riding around in a car. One would never think that just kicking around in their own neck of the woods would take on a whole new perspective.

A question: can anyone suggest any good areas to ride offroad outside of Seattle that would have a lot of say, fire roads, more open spaces than single track and complicated riding?

Thanks everyone and take care,

JT Christianson

m8 congrats for your new buy. ****ing A bike for sure.

don't expect not to fall, that will come to. i hope for you :thumbsup:

but I would say no doubt get good radiator guards, case Shields and skid plate.

that's the most valuable mods you'll do, and IMHO more importent than the other mods u could/would spend u'r $$ on.

A question: can anyone suggest any good areas to ride offroad outside of Seattle that would have a lot of say, fire roads, more open spaces than single track and complicated riding?

Go to the Northwest forum there is links to a lot of great areas to ride.

also welcome

Go to the Northwest forum there is links to a lot of great areas to ride.

also welcome

Thanks! I did not realize that there is a Northwest forum... I will have a look right now.

JT