Sign in to follow this  

Looks like more closed trails at Rampart.

I was riding at Rampart yesterday and it looked like they were closing some trails. I was behind Sprucewood, coming back when I noticed a guy in a medium size Yota. My first thought was of curiosity. I was wondering what a truck was doing back there. It was just below the hill climb to Bear Mountain. I quickly noticed two small stakes that had been put into the ground, but I thought nothing of it. Later down the trail, there is a trail that takes off to the North, my right at this point. I now noticed two similar stakes that had flaggers tape between them and across the trail. Obviously this trail is closed at this point. It was not when I was heading towards Bear Mountain.

Does anyone know why the trail is closed? Is this part of the project of adding trails? This certainly disapointed me when I saw it.

I

Does anyone know why the trail is closed? .

The reason has been published all over, the same reason closing all areas. Noise.

That closure has been in the works for awhile, the trail closures and new trails were approved earlier in the year (maybe even last year). Go to the Rampart Range website and read the new travel management plan. They are closing a couple of trails behind Sprucewood but opening up new trails elsewhere. RodZilla can give the full scoop on it.

Orange Mtn goat, that is what I was hoping that this was for. I remember reading some of the key points of the plan a few months ago, but I do not remember reading which trails in particular will be closed.

Does anyone know is all of the trails behind sprucewood will be closed for good?

What about the areas that new trails will be going in. Does anyone have any info that tey are permitted to divulge?

What about the areas that new trails will be going in. Does anyone have any info that tey are permitted to divulge?

They are keeping that info confidential to prevent people from poaching the new trails before they're done.

692 is one of the areas we lost in the TMP.

among other things, its proximity to the "Colorado trail" hiking route (see the noise comment above)

it's location within the Denver watershed/drainage

and IMO the desire of the Forest Service to stop having to go back there to drag people out.

The "fuels reduction" forest thinning was being done in the area already so the FS used it as a covienient excuse to close it now. We (the RRMMC) were told no closures were to happen until the new trail was built, but...you see how far that promise went.

693 is still open.

The first section of new singletrack will be in that area, we are in the flagging stages now, no real ground work has started, so please don't go in there trying to find a trail that does not yet exist.

Rod

692 is one of the areas we lost in the TMP.

among other things, its proximity to the "Colorado trail" hiking route (see the noise comment above)

Actually my noise comment was sarcasim. Noise isn't closing trails up there, or anywhere for that matter.

Actually my noise comment was sarcasim. Noise isn't closing trails up there, or anywhere for that matter.

Correct, I believe the Bear Creek trail was closed due to it's location within/near the Bear Creek drainageway and subsequent "impact" on the habitat for the Prebles Meadow Jumping Mouse, which is on the endangered species list. :thumbsup:

Info on the bastard

http://www.r6.fws.gov/preble/

Info on the little bastard's home in Bear Creek

http://www.r6.fws.gov/preble/CRITICAL_HABITAT/sp13_final.jpg

The Bear Creek Trail was doomed for many years. The powers that be were talking about closing that trail all the way back in 1993 when I worked there. I recall significant damage to the area in close proximity to the CO trail. Multiple routes trying to get out of the drainage and the majority were washed out and eroding. Not the best trail design but it was fun and challenging. Glad to hear that there are new trails going in.

Correct, I believe the Bear Creek trail was closed due to it's location within/near the Bear Creek drainageway and subsequent "impact" on the habitat for the Prebles Meadow Jumping Mouse, which is on the endangered species list. :thumbsup:

Info on the bastard

http://www.r6.fws.gov/preble/

Info on the little bastard's home in Bear Creek

http://www.r6.fws.gov/preble/CRITICAL_HABITAT/sp13_final.jpg

My wife says to go spread Decon around. Shes not a real mouse fan.