Got the Thumper "hots", would you make this trade?

Hello Thumpers. :lame:

I am a 52 y/o guy and have the hots for a big-bore thumper, mainly a mid-eighties Honda.

I have 3 streetbikes (1998 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2001 Kawasaki ZR-7S, and a 1974 Z1 streetfighter project that is yet unfinished) in my garage right now but have been wanting to get dirty if you know what I mean.

On a couple of other forums I've offered my ZX11 in trade for a big-bore thumper as described above. I have had one offer from an owner of a 1983 XR500. The XR is in remarkable condition and the owner is willing to make the trip from Michigan to Memphis, trailering the XR to me and my ZX back to Michigan.

From a value vs. value point of view my ZX is worth quite a bit more than the XR, BUT with him willing to do all the work and with me wanting a d-p bike so bad I feel the trade is a good deal for both of us.

So don't be shy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Am I stupid for making this trade? ?

Here is the XR:

dsc01469.jpg

I've been listing it on several forums, asking $3000. The ZX is in incredible condition. Even though it has 47K miles on her, it has never been down, never been raced/even redlined. It has a Corbin seat, a full Micron 4-into-1,/ tuned and dialed in on a dyno, sprockets and chain and tires are in excellent condition. Seriously, there isn't a blemish on her.

HOWEVER, I madly want a dual-sport thumper. The reason I want an early/mid-eighties thumper is because of the ride height. Today I checked out a new Kaw 250 and the thing was way too tall. Didn't care for it at all.

Anyway here are a couple pics of the ZX

DSCF0001.jpg

98zx11.jpg

Try eBay and set a reserve at the price you want. If the highest offer is just under the reserve, you can always contact the highest bidder and sell it to him for the lower price. Best part of it...it's always your decision. I bought a CRF250 on eBay and was very pleased. I also sold a KX50 on eBay and was very pleased. It's worth the $30 to give it a shot.

Agreed, hold out. I ride both street and dirt (no street bike at the moment) and looking at those two bikes the value isnt even close. Yours has to be worth twice as much. Even if you only got 2k for your bike you come out ahead. For 3k, like others mentioned, you could get a bike that is no more than 4-5 years old.

edit - why else do you think the guy is willing to drive that far.... ?

Hello Thumpers. :lame:

I am a 52 y/o guy and have the hots for a big-bore thumper, mainly a mid-eighties Honda.

I have 3 streetbikes (1998 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2001 Kawasaki ZR-7S, and a 1974 Z1 streetfighter project that is yet unfinished) in my garage right now but have been wanting to get dirty if you know what I mean.

On a couple of other forums I've offered my ZX11 in trade for a big-bore thumper as described above. I have had one offer from an owner of a 1983 XR500. The XR is in remarkable condition and the owner is willing to make the trip from Michigan to Memphis, trailering the XR to me and my ZX back to Michigan.

From a value vs. value point of view my ZX is worth quite a bit more than the XR, BUT with him willing to do all the work and with me wanting a d-p bike so bad I feel the trade is a good deal for both of us.

So don't be shy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Am I stupid for making this trade? ?

Here is the XR:

dsc01469.jpg

Yes, that would be a stupid trade for you.

Sell the ZX, it should bring what? $3500 +/- or more?

You can buy a lot newer (and a lot better) thumper for $3500 than an '83 xr500.

Dude-- no way trade straight across- the ZX is worth twice the XR. The XR's are good bikes and all; I had an XL500 (84) that was tricked out. One of the best wheelie and fun time machines I ever had.

I bought an '04 WR450 for $3,400, fully set up. Sold an 85 XR600 for it. You wouldn't believe the difference in technology and fun factor.

Blow the ZX out for $2,700. Sell it to the guy from Michigan, get him to kick in $500 for the freight (he'd spend that on the trip to Memphis), then ship it by Forward Air.

You never make money on used bikes anyway, it ain't getting younger, plus it's standing between you and your next ride- unload it. Then take the cash and get an '04 or so WR450 or CRF and lower the suspension-- anyone building a streetfighter can certainly lower the suspension on a dirt bike- no drama there.

All part of the fun. Enjoy!

Cheers

Neil.