Sign in to follow this  

Winterizing the HUMAN

How do you'all dress for winter riding,,and being from Florida

70 degrees am Im cold...boots ,gloves,undergarmets,,helmets

anything to keep this thin blooded rider,,going :thumbsup:

I just wear a jacket and got some grip heaters on the way. I live in sunny Florida too.

I have no sympathy for Floridians :lame:

I wear under armor cold gear under the leathers for street riding. Jacket with liner in and cold weather gloves. Balaclava under the helmet and turtle neck. I'm a bit wimpy for riding in the cold so usually go a few months with no riding :thumbsup:

When I snowboard I layer and so far have done the same with the bike. The only thing I've added is the heated grips. Oh... when it's really cold I don't tend to go too fast.

Ya I wear long johns, pants, sweater, snow pants, snow jacket, -50C boots, full gloves, neck warmer, then I throw on my modular doo helmet and hop on the Renegade 800 and eat some powder!! :thumbsup:

Oh ya and turn on my handlebar warmers.

:lame:

Fladrz, if you keep your hands warm it will really help keep your whole body warm so first I would install hand warmers also the underarmor type of base layer helps alot with several layers over it and ski pants work well they are not bulky but stop the wind

Skidooer, ever notice that 30*F on the bike feels cold but 30*F on the sled is warm!? I have been on my 600 renegade X at -20*F and had to take a layer of cloths off.

I suggest a quality heated vest.Ihave had one for the last eight years,and it has been a lifesaver.up here in maine it can get pretty cold,but if you keep your core warm it makes a huge difference.

I have lived in Miami before, all you need is a good jacket with armor and maybe some intermediate gloves. When I ride in the winter here I use, heavy winter gloves, water proof over-pants with armor, water proof insulated jacket with armor, and a thinsolent ski mask under my helmet. It get's into the 40's and lower here on average over the winter.

I just wear a jacket and got some grip heaters on the way. I live in sunny Florida too.

What in the world are heated GRIPS,,where can I get them

are you joking with me,,Ive been here for 45 yrs,,just started ridin

so ,,I moved up th north Florida and we actually have a winter.

Florida.....come-on you have got to be kidding me 70 degrees and getting cold while riding :thumbsup: .....

I rode to work today 6:30am 35 degrees......

#1 you are not riding hard enough to be cold at that Temp

#2 70 degrees is NOT cold. when i ride at that temp i am sweating....

#3 Revert to #1

winter months average temp where im at 20 degrees HIGH - negivtive 10 for a low......Thats when the trusty DRZ goes into hybernation

Massrider - Yes actually this morning I noticed that. :thumbsup: It was about 32F when I got up and closer to 40F when I drove off. Not too pleasant but when you do 140kph then slow down to 110kph it warms up about 10 degrees and feels better :lame:

Ya Florda come on!

Im riding in 30F with an open face and 1 layer and having fun!

Maybe get a windshield to break the wind lol

P.S. Heated grips are grips that are heated. :p

Lot of people (including me) use these

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

Thanks Hale Ive never seen anything like that,,I guess you have to take

off or grind off the throttle grip ? ,,stick the heater too your handle bar and tube,,

then pull the new grips over those heat pads,,WOW,,its not going to melt

the grips is it ??..any kind of special glue for the grips???

ANd YES I have thin blood it got into the high 20's last winter

I didnt see snow till I was 33,, I really need this info or more on how to get and install these heater grips,,thanks guys

I am quite the polar bear so light jacket and MX gloves do me to about freezing for my 10 minute ride to work.

Took a longer ride and wore turtleneck, heavy jeans, insulated boots, wool socks, Carhart blanket coat and snowmobile guantlets without liners, Behind my Cee Bailey windshield I was hot and had to open my Aria XD visor.

It all depends on you. My Bro lives in Sarasota, and below 70 he wears a parka and mucklucks! What a Wuss.

Up here keep in mind wind chill, 50 degrees + 70 MPH = really cold!

The grips will keep your hands warm, cold and vibrations to the hands for long periods can cause nerve damage. If you have full handguards, they will keep the wind off your knuckles and the warmers will keep you toasty. Also keep the circulation going. Have several sets of gloves, if you get too hot and your hands sweat, you will get cold. A waterproof pair is a must. I have Swat gloves that are light for warmer weather and Snowmobile guantlets for really cold. Can wear both when Santa comes to town. Big thing is they both go over coat sleeves to keep wind out. Those little uncovered spots can get frostbite.

The vest is an excellent idea to keep your core warm, keeps the bulk down. Jacket with removable layers lets you add and remove as needed. Layers underneath as well, cotton to wick the sweat away. If you sweat underneath it will make you cold and that's not good. Turtleneck and polypropelene Baklava or neck gaiter a must. My noggin gets pretty warm and breath steams visor so I rarely wear full Baklava. Keeps wind and bugs, rocks/dirt off your neck and mouth. Keep in mind stock stator puts out 200 watts at peak so check your draw on electrics.

Underarmor or silk hunting long johns are great. Goretex jeans keep you dry and warm. Then rain suit top and bottom over whole mess. 1 layer of rain gear will not keep you dry in downpour.

If its a several week or month long ride, several changes of under stuff is a must or you will get really musty. Not every hotel has laundry nor will you want to do it every day.

A lg set of dirt bags or Givi will keep the stuff dry.

My aunt and uncle just went out west and back, a month on the road out of just 2 Harley saddlebags and a top case.

Ride on! Upper Peninsula is like Alaska in Nov-March.

What in the world are heated GRIPS,,where can I get them

are you joking with me,,Ive been here for 45 yrs,,just started ridin

so ,,I moved up th north Florida and we actually have a winter.

I have some dual stars on order. Install them on thursday.

Thanks Hale Ive never seen anything like that,,I guess you have to take

off or grind off the throttle grip ?

The instructions tell you to remove the grips with the help of a compressor. I did the first one and at the very end it ripped so I landed up cutting them both off (easy) and replacing them. Later I was told by a bunch of riders that had done it that the only way to get them off is cutting them. Grips are cheap (from $6-$16) but they don't come with the kit. I think that'd be overkill for Florida though. If I were you I'd just get a good pair of gloves.

When I lived in Orlando and worked outdoors (I was acclimated to the heat). I would wear a full ski suit under my full leathers with gauntlet gloves mask and full face helmet. The mornings in Orlando were in the High 30s to low 40s.

Of course in the afternoon, all that gear would be strapped on the passenger seat for the ride home because it was 75 degrees.

Keeping your core (body) warm is more important than the rest of your body as far as hypothermia is concerned. Keeping your hands, feet and head warm make for an enjoyable ride. You have to make sure you let no wind in at all to suck away the heat.