Santiam Pass, oregon

I am interested in riding and camping in this area but i can't find any info. Is it just forest service roads or single track? Are there any staging areas or trailheads? Any info would really be appreciated . Thanks!

If you are talking about the big lake/hoodoo area then there are a variety of terrains to ride. Open sand to quad trails to dirt based single track. This time of the year it will be dusty though to take extra air filters and make sure they are properly oiled.

Take the hoodoo exit off of hwy 20 and follow signs to big lake. You will want to pull over on one of the wide spots on the right side of the road to stage. There is plenty of room.

Camping is available or tents and small trailers at big lake and I've seen other people camping close to the staging areas out off of the sand roads. Larger trailers I believe can camp in the hoodoo parking lot.

Thanks 10 Guy. Do you know if you can ride out of the HooDoo parking lot? I have a pickup camper and an enclosed 20' trailer. Thanks for the info!

I stayed right on Big Lake twoard the begining of the summer.... Pretty nice area. I'm sure I'll be back next year. The care takers at the camp are waaaay chill. Super cool people.

Why don't you just camp on the ground?

Last pic is me... enjoying the night after a few drinks.

http://www.studiosp.net/biglake/camp_mountain.jpg

http://www.studiosp.net/biglake/camp_people_2.jpg

http://www.studiosp.net/biglake/toys_1.jpg

http://www.studiosp.net/biglake/lake_mountain_1.jpg

http://www.studiosp.net/biglake/toys_1.jpg

http://www.studiosp.net/biglake/bikes_1.jpg

http://www.studiosp.net/biglake/ryanpics/ben_wasted.jpg

With your camper and trailer you should be fine to camp closer to the staging areas if not at them. If you wanted to unhook your trailer and lock it up you would even be able to camp in the campground on the shores of big lake.

unless you like endless whoops or quads(trail plugs), don't waste your time. That place sucks. There are much better places to ride. I went there one time and hated it so bad that our group left after about 1 1/2 of getting the sh** beat out of us on the quad trails.

Hey sonicCRF , Nice pics. It sure looks like a nice area. We are kinda looking for an area where we won,t get shot on opening deer season. I'm getting my wifes crf230 uncorked and rejetted for her b-day this week-end so we have to go camp and ride somewhere. I wanted to stay away from pine mountain and the ochocos so hopefully that area will be good. By the way, when you reach 50+, (which I never planned on making) you'll understand why I don't just camp on the ground!

If you spend an hour and a half riding through whoops you don't know where your going.

If you spend an hour and a half riding through whoops you don't know where your going.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

I had a blast there.

Any riding is better than sitting at home wishing you were riding.

whoops are good... preps you for the China Hat & Fall Classic. Remember, pain is just 'the bad' leaving your body! :thumbsup:

Santiam ain't nothing to get excited about but I had a way better time there than I did @ Millician/China Hat. There's lots of sand, whoops, and quad trails, but there's fun stuff here and there, even fun sneaky rock sections, and you can even ride up onto Hoodoo if you can find the line.. camping at Big Lake is the ticket, just ride across the street and it's on. A dip in the lake after a hard ride is always welcome.

F99_xteam_satiampassOR.jpg

Pic riding up a rocky line to Hoodoo, Santiam, Summer '04.

I stayed 3 nights there last summer and I had a blast! There are quite a bit of whoops but you can find some really nice trails if you go toward hoodoo more or past the rv campground.. East Fort Rock has better trails in my opinion, but the camping at hoodoo is excellent!

IMGP1017.jpg

That was the the edge of the campground.. I dont have any pics of the trails though..

Ha, looks like you stayed at the same site I was at.

Did you see my pics? (I had some messed up links that I just fixed).

What an awesome camp spot though, huh? I'm sure I'll be going back next summer.

Just camped for the first time at Big Lake weekend before last. I'd been there a couple of times before, but I just realized that all of the good riding is actually on the east side of the road, and not the designated OHV area near Hoodoo on the west side. Far less woops to the east, or at least you can find some trails that aren't wooped out. The OHV area is almost entirely woops.

There are some good sand blow-out areas with some hill climbs that are pretty hard to find. If you find the flat rock area with the wagon wheel grooves, you're close.

I've always been down on Big Lake, but riding the east side changed my mind. Not to mention the sweet camp sites in Loop A. Looks like there's also some good dispersed camp sites near the entrance to the Seventh Day Adventist Camp on the east side of the road.

Funny story (to make a long post longer), we ran into a group of the Seventh Dayers out in the woods to the east. There was a group of about 20, all on bikes and quads. There was also a guy driving a rail that looked like it was his first time out. He was driving all wide-eyed and white-knuckled and about ran over a buddy and I that were parked in a highly visible spot in a clearing. We decided to follow, assuming he was going to be good for some excitement down the road. Just a few hundred yards down the trail, a group of 3 jeeps stopped us. They were all pissed off, and told us to tell our "buddy" to slow down. Evidently, he had bounced the rail off one of the jeeps, and just kept on going.

Funny thing, we ran into the group at the top of Cach Mtn.(one of the best views in central OR.) and the rail was dumping mass quantities of coolant. Karma's a bitch, I guess (even for Seventh Day Adventists). Hope the thing melted down before they got back to camp. I thought an appropriate bumper sticker for him would read: "Who would Jesus run over?".

Anyway, I best get back to work.....

Ha, looks like you stayed at the same site I was at.

Did you see my pics? (I had some messed up links that I just fixed).

What an awesome camp spot though, huh? I'm sure I'll be going back next summer.

Haha! Yeah I think you're right... That campspot is pretty much perfect! I think we are talking about staying there for a week next year, since we had such a good time. :devil: If only summer lasted longer.... :thumbsdn:

Just camped for the first time at Big Lake weekend before last. I'd been there a couple of times before, but I just realized that all of the good riding is actually on the east side of the road, and not the designated OHV area near Hoodoo on the west side. Far less woops to the east, or at least you can find some trails that aren't wooped out. The OHV area is almost entirely woops.

Yeah, we went over on the east side and found some pretty nice trails also.... Did you see those two little lakes in the middle of the woods? We ended up riding all the way to the highway and found a nice rocky road on the way back. It was quite a bit different than the OHV side but was definatly worth trying out. :devil:

Are there any trail maps availible anywhere?

Are there any trail maps availible anywhere?

Negative. Rumor has it they're working on making the area an official riding area with marked trails, maps, etc. Not sure how long that'll take. It may be more fun to ride up there with maps and occasionally groomed trails!

It's a pretty area to ride up there. The whoops are pretty weak and there are a lot of dead-end trails.

On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 5. While EFR ranks an 8-9. EFR'd be a 10 if it had dirtbike only singletrack!

Dan

Is there any single track up there? We rode from little nash snow park to corbet snow park today, found a couple good trails but everything was dual track... If someone knows some sneak trails hook a brother up with a pm or somethin....

Thanks