Sign in to follow this  

Help Removing CS Sprocket

Okay, I broke down and made a new post after searching. And yes, I feel like an idiot, maybe slightly retarded.

With all the talk about the CS sprocket lately I decided to check it out myself. My '06 with 2400 miles was still tight. I took the nut off anyways because I had just went out and bought the 271 locktite.

Well, following the service manual it says to remove the sprocket cover, check. Flatten the washer, I was able to get the socket on square without doing that bit. Okay, so it says remove the nut, easy enough. Finally it says to remove the sprocket, this is where I'm having trouble.

I can get the sprocket off the shaft but I can't free it from the chain and get it out of the way. It seems I am going to need more slack. I didn't see this mentioned in the manual or any of the CS threads I searched so I'm wondering if there's a trick to it?

I hope I don't have to remove the rear wheel because I don't have a stand or replacement cotter pin.

Thanks in advance.

Can I assume you removed the case saver? I have to ask because I do not run my sprocket cover but do have the case saver installed.

Anyway...remove the case saver. Loosen rear tire axle nut. Slide rear tire forward. The chain shold now have enough slack to take it out of the way of the front sprocket. You can also, with the chain loose, take it off the rear sprocket so you have a whole lotta extra chain to play with.

I pulled the case saver off with the cover.

Okay, looks like I'm going to have to start on the rear wheel now. I'm assuming I need to lift the bike. I have a jack that I've placed a 2x4 on before but it's not real stable. I probably should have waited for a stand. I'm going to attempt it anyways in just a bit.

Reading further I found I should have had the tranny in neutral, yikes. I had my brother standing on the rear brake too. I'll be sure to torque it in neutral.

Once I order side case gaskets I'm going to do the primary nut and then I'll need to research greasing the shafts and bearings.

Thanks!

I took the cotter pin out, I'm just going to reuse it for now. Looking it over it seems I should be able to slide it forward without lifting the wheel, I'm going to try it anyhow.

Yep, it was quite easy. Loosened the axle nut, shortened the adjusters most of the way and put my foot behind the tire and moved the bike backwards.

That was intimidating to me before. Thanks for lending your experience.

I cleaned up the splines and threads with brake cleaner and q-tips, waiting for it to dry completely. Inspecting my sprocket it has some nicks on most of the splines, the male part. I was going to take a picture but my camera batteries died. They don't look too bad but they're there.

Just went through the same thing last night. Want to check the spacer and oil seal behind the sprocket.

Loosened the rear axle to get the chain of the front sprocket, then realized I needed the rear brake and chain to hold the countershaft to get the css nut off. Tightened the chain, loosened the nut, moved the rear axle forward again, THEN took the chain off.

My front sprocket is locktited solid on the splines, so I got the gear puller today. Hope to have time to get it off and check what's behind it tomorrow.

Just guide the chain off the 'rear' sprocket so it hangs loose, after you've loosened the nut, and put it back on when your need to torque the nut back on.

Piece of cake.

P.S.

Loosening the rear wheel to gain added chain slack is pretty easy. No stand is required, and you can always buy a new cotter pin at the local auto parts or hardware store.

New cotter pin??

Just teasing....The first time I took the rear wheel off I took out the cotter pin and never put it back in.

Do any of you guys happen to have a pic (or link) of the style of puller your using to yank off the CS sprocket? I want to go pick one up....

Do any of you guys happen to have a pic (or link) of the style of puller your using to yank off the CS sprocket? I want to go pick one up....

Any cheapy puller. I got mine at NAPA, went up 1 step from the cheapy to the $20 or so model.

Link to a pic

The one I use is a an el-cheapo two-prong puller. Works flawlessly, cost about five bucks...

0253605_450_CC_c29f.jpg

The one I use is a an el-cheapo two-prong puller. Works flawlessly, cost about five bucks...

0253605_450_CC_c29f.jpg

I initially had one of those. The first time I red loctited the sprocket I used way too much and stripped the threads of the body when trying to remove the sprocket.

Four drops on the splines, and one drop on the threads, is a good rule of thumb.

:thumbsup:

Screw that....fillup all the splines with red. Its not ever coming off! :lame::p

Yep...four drops is what I use now.