Leaking Water Pump!

So after spending approx. $100 in parts to fix a leaking water pump seal on my klx 300, I still seam to have a very small leak coming from the inspection hole after the re-assembly. I'm pretty confident everything went back together according to the shop manual. Has anyone had to fix a bad water pump seal and have any advice or suggestions?

I could go through the whole process again with a chance of still having this leak....and I'm not to crazy on letting some shop wrench on my bike....or ignore it unless the leak gets more severe or I notice coolant mixed in with my oil. :thumbsup:

Sangair

same problem after i put a new seal in, but it seemed to cure itself

Well there is multiple problems that can be accurying. the seal could not be broken in like the other guy said but i hiley dought it.you just need to make sure that nothing is leaking and check your hoses that may be the problem.

I'd run it a bit and see if it seals up. If not... time to start over.

Are you sure you drove the seal in until the flange on the cup bottomed evenly all around? The ceramic seat was bottomed evenly in the impeller?

Did you inspect the carbon face for scratches or cracks before installing? Did you nick the carbon when you pressed it in? I used a sleeve on the od of the cup, not a driver that compressed the seal like the manual shows. The carbon face has to be perfect. You didn't drop it before installation did you? You should be able to inspect it with a BRIGHT light after removing the impeller if you want to bother.

The ceramic seat wasn't cracked or scratched?

You installed the o-ring under the impeller? I added some silicone under the nut for good measure.

If it's a minor scratch on the carbon nose it might wear in if a crack it won't. You won't get water in the oil as long as you keep the weep hole open.

Are you sure you drove the seal in until the flange on the cup bottomed evenly all around? The ceramic seat was bottomed evenly in the impeller?

Did you inspect the carbon face for scratches or cracks before installing? Did you nick the carbon when you pressed it in? I used a sleeve on the od of the cup, not a driver that compressed the seal like the manual shows. The carbon face has to be perfect. You didn't drop it before installation did you? You should be able to inspect it with a BRIGHT light after removing the impeller if you want to bother.

The ceramic seat wasn't cracked or scratched?

You installed the o-ring under the impeller? I added some silicone under the nut for good measure.

If it's a minor scratch on the carbon nose it might wear in if a crack it won't. You won't get water in the oil as long as you keep the weep hole open.

Thanks for all the input guys...

After riding another few miles today it seems to have stopped leaking, hopefully for good :thumbsup: the install went real smooth. I can see if all seals are not perfectly in place problems can occur. I too didn't feel comfortable pressing down on the ceramic seat as mentioned in the manual and I also used a sleeve to press down on the od of the cup.

Like you mentioned...I think the key is making sure the weep hole is always clean of debris. If your oil seems milky looking....most likely you have coolant getting into you case.

Thanks Again!

Sangair