Sign in to follow this  

Buying a slightly use 06; paint off engine case normal?

I am in the final stages of purchasing a 06 CRF450R with allegedly 10 hours on it of non-racing riding. The original owner was a nice, shy 18 or 19 year old who had planned to race, but realized he couldn't afford it and realized the danger (one of his friends is currently in a coma; verified by local paper). He is selling bike because he is going back to school and needed the cash.

The bike exteriorly seems in good condition, the bike started cold within 3 kicks. The father said the bike has been meticulously maintained (it appears he did all the work on it as a hobby). The maintenance schedule he allegedly maintained seems very rigorous (frequent oil and oil filter changes) for the time on it. He seems to know his stuff quite well and spent a lot of time stressing the importance of maintenace as he went from top to bottom on the bike.

However the bike has a lot of the paint around the Honda logo worn off on the engine (particularly left side). The father, who appears to be genuine, said this was the result of using metal toed riding boots. There is no other sign of abrasion anywhere else on the bike, including the plastic. Is this common for the paint to come off around the engine? Or am I being played? I am wondering how important it is to have the bike looked at by a professional incase the father (and son) are not being upfront?

Thanks for reading. Charlie

Its normal for the coating to wear off the motor. I removed the coating and polished the covers to keep a clean look. do a search and you will find a lot of info on this topic.

However the bike has a lot of the paint around the Honda logo worn off on the engine (particularly left side).

Oooohhhh wow :thumbsup: The paint's worn off.

I think the paint on the engine covers lasted exactly 20 seconds on my CRF (and any other bike I've owned, for that matter).

It's the least important thing to look at, because even if you bought a spanking new CRF, it would look the same very shortly. And yes, steel toe boots speed up the process...

holeshot, I know i am such a noob ;-) I wasn't really worried, but my previous bike the XR400 didn't have it. I could care less. I just don't want to offend the guy taking it into the shop to have a pro look over the entire bike, when he has offered to volunteer his time to teach me the basics of bike maintenance. The bike runs well, everything looks in good repair, barring taking the engine apart.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

The coating come off the clutch cover and hwere your toe rubs the ignition side of the engine almost instantly.

If the seller is willing to teach you maintenance, I have one word for you: LISTEN! I sold a perfect 04 to complete moron, who blew the poor bike to smithereens in 11 days. It sounds like they want to find a good home for the bike and want to help you become a good rider. These are the kind of people you want to get a used bike from.

Bro, if you don't know that riding wears off the engine paint, please be real careful when riding that 450. :thumbsup:

However the bike has a lot of the paint around the Honda logo worn off on the engine (particularly left side). The father, who appears to be genuine, said this was the result of using metal toed riding boots.

The metal toe guard on my boots tore the **** out of my ignition cover the first day I rode my bike. I took the metal guard off the boot and removed about 1/2" of it with a hacksaw to prevent further damage.

Bro, if you don't know that riding wears off the engine paint, please be real careful when riding that 450. :lame:

I have an XR400, without the magnesium coating. My boots have not taken off any paint. I've been riding since I was 8, and I am 21 now. I am no MX pro, but I'll manage :thumbsup: (I warned you it was a silly question!!! ) Who isn't a little paranoid buying a second hand bike?

RMXC51 answered my concerns: sounds like the seller is a good guy.

I have an XR400, without the magnesium coating. My boots have not taken off any paint. I've been riding since I was 8, and I am 21 now. I am no MX pro, but I'll manage :lame: (I warned you it was a silly question!!! ) Who isn't a little paranoid buying a second hand bike?

RMXC51 answered my concerns: sounds like the seller is a good guy.

It's not a silly question. I just purchased my very first dirt bike using

the paint info and some other attributes of a low hour bike.

I was paranoid as heck, but had a friend with me for a 2nd set of eyes.

:thumbsup:

My 07 450 has 2.5 hrs on it(DR D Hourmeter) and the paint is gone. I feel comfortable when someone stress's maintenance to me when buying something. It seems to mean that they care. If Im buying a used bike I always like to take a look in the airbox, if it is clean as a pin, buy it!

There is always risk in buying used, but what you have described here seems like a good deal. Short of having the bike inspected by a mechanic which can be a hassel and costly, it comes down to trust. If the bike starts easily and sounds "healthy" you can probably trust what he's telling you. If you can take it up and down the street once or twice, you can get a feel for the clutch, throttle response, brakes and gear box. Beyond that, your visual inspection should be enough to know whether you can trust him.