wr250f vs wr450f

As of right now i have a 03 wr250f and want to compare the two in power in nimbleness etc... If anyone could let me know what a better bike would be for me. I have kinda bored out on the 250 a lil. LOL. Im somewhat bored of the power im producing and would be as happy as can b if someone could also help me with gettin more power cheap out of my bike. P.S. i already have a exhaust and headers. Also id prefer if it would be relatively easy as of right now because i dont know much about the enigne and all that stuff but i would like to learn. I also have a question about airbox removal. As i said before im new to this so what is it, if i removed it does it give more power, and where is it. Thanks everyone. Plz dont kill me lol just because i put wr 250f vs 450f in a simple 250f forum i put it here cuz i figured its more 250f orentid the message that is. and you guys would be more focused on jst the 250f pretty much you know.

I have a 05 250 and a 06 450, the wr250 is a fast, agile beast in the tight stuff. Do the mods found on this site,they are easy,jet it right, and it really helps it scream! The wr 450 is better suited for more open trails due to the extra horses,but it handles the trails OK if you are strong enough/good enough to master the throttle! The air box mod is taking out the snorkel part under the seat,not real hard, just have to have a little patience. Removing the snorkle and or adding more openings allows your bike to get more air,when combined with a better flowing pipe,AND jetted right it makes a big difference! :thumbsup:

Good thread! :thumbsup:

I too am interested in the comparison between the 250 and 450. I want to use it for mostly trail riding and hill climbs. Does the 250 have enough grunt to climb 100' hills?

(sorry to the original poster.. I'm not trying to steal your thread, but simply interject and I believe we are after the same things)

Good thread! :thumbsup:

I too am interested in the comparison between the 250 and 450. I want to use it for mostly trail riding and hill climbs. Does the 250 have enough grunt to climb 100' hills?

(sorry to the original poster.. I'm not trying to steal your thread, but simply interject and I believe we are after the same things)

Its koo man yea it seems lik were after the same thing. As of right now i checked all the performance on my wr250 i stil have a couple free mods to do. My bike is pretty fast as it is right now but i want more low end power from lik low to mid power for better aceleration. If anyone knows about tht also could u help me.

Try the 12T front sprocket.

I too want to know the diff How much more power does the 450 have over the 250???? I have never had a prob with my wr 250 on a hill but with jumps just not enough umph..

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm looking to buy another bike within the next few months if I find a good deal. I'm leaning toward the WR250F, but I need a little help. I'm also considering a YZ250F or possibly a YZ or WR450F. I was riding a friend's KX250 smoker this past weekend and LOVED the power hit, though I had a hell of a time keeping the front wheel on the ground and couldn't keep the bike straight because the back kept slipping out on me.

I mostly ride in the woods on steep hills covered with rocks, roots, and ruts, and I also ride a hare scrambles track that's usually muddy. I don't think a 250 2-stroke is the best bike for this type of riding.

I may race hare scrambles a few times per year. I won't be racing motocross, but I'd like to practice on a track from time to time just for fun. Can the WR handle a mx track, specifically can it handle landing jumps?

What's the major difference between the YZ and the WR? Aside from the wider spacing between gears, is the gearing higher on the WR? How much lighter is the YZ? Is there any difference in reliability? I'm also considering a CRF250X or R, but I hear they're having some reliability issues and they're difficult to work on.

Now onto the most important question: 250 or 450? I'm 5'10" 190lbs. The last 250 thumper I rode was a '03 TTR 250 and it while it was a fun (but heavy) bike to ride, the engine was a dog. I'm assuming the WR/YZ 250F are much more powerful, but will they be able to carry me up a rocky hill without revving high and slipping the clutch? I like the thought of a 450 and for recreational riding it would be great, but I think I'd be at a disadvantage during a race, racing against people who are crazy enough to push their 450s to its limits.

BASSIC there are few differences between the wr and the yz but there are some. I know the timing is different its power is a little doped down for trail riding. the throttle stop is different the cams are different umm i beilieve the the tank and of course the weight. Mainly becuase its got the lights and all the extra stuff. If you want to know about some of the stuff that can be made to make it a yz but still with the lights and all at the starting of this thread a guy gave me a thing to go and check out to change it all. i think thumperfag.com ...... I know as of right now the new wr 450 and the 250 got a allumium frame which really lightened it. My 03 250f actually weighs more then a brand new wr 450f because the frame. I also know the new wr250f which weighs around 230 lbs weighs about the same as the old yz 250f before the new frame. I know the suspension is the same as the yz so it can handle jumps and i know i have gotten some nice air and land flat without a landing and am still find. ( bout 10ft in the air my head to the gound and landed flat). But yea it can handle the track just the older ones weigh more so it take lots away from it unfortunalty. But with the new era it should be fine esspecialy if you uncork the thing.

FWIW, the 07 WR250/450 getting the aluminum frame dropped the weight only a few pounds if that...

On the comparsion of '06 WR250 (steel frame) and '07 WR250 (alum. frame) the difference is 1.1 lb.

Comparing '06 WR450 (steel frame) and '07 WR450 (alum. frame) the difference is 2.2 lb.

~~~~

The other differences for the 07's are the updated plastics. ( & more aggressive shaped headlight)

Also, the '07 WR450 weighs in at 246.9lb. An '03 WR250 is 229lb. WR250, def. lighter. Regardless of alum. frame.

Regarding the weight difference between WR250F and YZ250F, the YZ is 29.3 lb lighter. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that all of those listed weights by the manufacturers are way LOWER than their actual measured weights, i.e. when we or the magazines actually weigh them. The 01-02 YZFs weighed in around 228-230 lbs, listed at 218(?). The 03 and newer YZFs weighed in around 217, listed at 206. My 02 WR weighed in around 240 lbs, no listed weight. The e-start WRs are around 250 lbs.

BTW, it's www.thumperfaq.com not "thumperfag"... :thumbsup:

By the time you add the skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, etc. you're looking at another 7 to 10 lbs or so. Fill up the 2 or 3 gallons tank at 6.5 lbs per gallon and we are carrying around 260 or 270 lbs, add the rider and the whole package is around 500 or more lbs :thumbsup:

Not sure this will answer your questions or not, but I ride a 2004 WR250F. It has been modified to compensate for its shortfalls (see garage) but I have had no problems keeping up with my friends 2005 WR450F. I actually prefer it in the tight stuff. The only places he will really pull away is on fire roads or double track. Even the hill climbs are pretty even. I hope this helps some.

Keep in mind that all of those listed weights by the manufacturers are way LOWER than their actual measured weights, i.e. when we or the magazines actually weigh them. The 01-02 YZFs weighed in around 228-230 lbs, listed at 218(?). The 03 and newer YZFs weighed in around 217, listed at 206. My 02 WR weighed in around 240 lbs, no listed weight. The e-start WRs are around 250 lbs.

Yep, I understand that. :thumbsup: But when magazines weigh bikes it's not "dry weight" that the manufacturers use. Mag bikes have oil, gas, etc..

But, I'm sure Yamaha may lie a little here and there. (everyone does)

illTTR, I think the '07 weight is potentially better. The aluminum frame beneift is lost a little to some weight gains they had in '06 The WR gained almost 10 pounds from 05 to 06. I think that a lot of this was the extra smog equipment (and the enduro computer), the '07 is back to around '05 weight. I think that if you desmogged the '07 you would see a weight improvement over the '05.

Yep, I understand that. :thumbsup: But when magazines weigh bikes it's not "dry weight" that the manufacturers use. Mag bikes have oil, gas, etc..

But, I'm sure Yamaha may lie a little here and there. (everyone does)

All of the magazines that I have read weigh their bikes full of oil/fluids but NO fuel - that is the right way to weigh these bikes. They are worthless without the fluid/oil anyway. They don't add fuel because the bikes have varying size gas tanks. The manufacturers' dry weights must be bone dry without oil in the shock, oil in the engine and grease in the bearings. We seem to have this discussion on TT every year, the manufacturers' measurements are very misleading to the consumer, but nobody measures their bikes TOTALLY dry to prove the manufacturers' weights. We all ride our bikes the way the mags measure the weights, then we add fuel and guards to the bikes and the weight goes up and up.

Typically, the weights from the manufacturers seem to be around 10 to 15 lbs lower than what the mags would eventually publish, so you can add around 10 lbs to MX bikes and around 15 lbs to trail bikes and you will fall in the ball park of the real "ready to ride" weight.

FYI - my 06 YZ250F's ready to ride weight bone stock was around 215 lbs (listed at 206 lbs) and after the guards go on, it is now around 228 lbs ready to ride with no fuel.

FYI - my 06 YZ250F's ready to ride weight bone stock was around 215 lbs (listed at 206 lbs) and after the guards go on, it is now around 228 lbs ready to ride with no fuel.

Cool, thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

... Does the 250 have enough grunt to climb 100' hills?

If you want to 'grunt' the hills, a 450 would probably do better, but an XR might do best. The WR doesn't have a lot of grunt, but when the mill is a spinnin' you'll have no problem moving forward.

Try the 12T front sprocket.

Front sprocket changes are more drastic than rears. With a long chain, and a lot of adjustment room - change the rear first, especially on a WR with the Wide Ratio transmission.

Diff between 250f and 450f.

I have a wr250f and my friend has a crf450

I have a GSXR1000 and he has a yzf600r

My wr250f is like his yzf600r and his crf450 is like my GSXR1000 when it comes to power and when. The 450 has instant tree jerking tq right off throttle just like my 1000. The 250 you have to wind it up to get the power just like the yzf600.

Is one better than the other?

In my opinion it is all in how you use it and where.

On the highway I can just blow by him on my gsxr like he was standing still.

In the tight turns I have to do everything right to keep up with him.

Just like on the 250-450 comparison. When they get out on the powerlines I don't even try to keep up, in the woods I stay right there.

For me I don't need the extra power of the 450 but I can see how it would be awesome and addictive. My friend with the 450 likes my 250 for its handling just like his 600.

I don't think either is better, on a Street track you will see guys hate 1000 cc bikes because they pass them on the straights and then just get in their way in the turns. If you are allowed to pass in the turns the 600's make it up right here.

I did gear my 250f down a little to help with the hills and such, have yet to try it out.

My GSXR is gear down also for quicker take offs as stock they are geared more for top end, I never see that end of the speedometer so it doesn't matter to me.

Good luck!