Stand kill for roadworthy

Hi Guys

Bought my DRZ 400e 04 model a month ago and the previous owner disconnected the Stand kill switch. I have to put it through a roadworthy and have to hook the damn thing back up. I bolted it back on and hooked it back up under the seat. But the engine still cranks over with stand down. Not too sure on how it works. Any suggestions.

Regards

Gene

The kill switch works when the bike is in gear.. I can have my stand down, start the bike in nuetral get on and with the clutch in and the kick stand down, if i click into 1st it shuts the bike off.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

I did not think the E had the kickstand switch? or are you refering to the clutch switch?

not sure if the E is the same, but the S has 2 wires that run up the frame from the kickstand kill switch. These wires lead to under the seat in front of the airbox. There is a green connector on my 00 S model. As long as all that is connected, you should not be able to start the bike in first. Try putting kickstand down while in first gear, clutch in, engine running.

The kill switch works when the bike is in gear.. I can have my stand down, start the bike in nuetral get on and with the clutch in and the kick stand down, if i click into 1st it shuts the bike off.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

:lame: Yep! :p

Thanks for that Zick. I had the bike in neutral and worried that something major was wrong with the wireing but it looks like it will be all good.

Regards

Gene.

:thumbsup:

your saying that you need to have this on your bike to get it inspected? strict area wow

That's OZ for you!!!! Great riding down ther etho. And Shieila's too!

What is the best method to remove this feature ? I still havent done this mod yet. :devil:

I use my kick-stand all the time on my S model. I just keep a bungee on the bike somewhere and if I am hitting a rough trial or going to a track, presto chango, the bungee goes on the stand and I hook it to the subframe or the passenger mount and no more dead landings. I really did hate those. Seems like Suzuki would have made a provision for that, after all it is a Dual-sport. Oh and if you just disconnect the kill switch you are still leaving yourself open for a problem. If you launch off a jump hard enough or land the rear wheel first the stand can come down and interfere with your landing. This is is a phenomenon that can cause serious injury.

HAPPY TRAILS

I use my kick-stand all the time on my S model. I just keep a bungee on the bike somewhere and if I am hitting a rough trial or going to a track, presto chango, the bungee goes on the stand and I hook it to the subframe or the passenger mount and no more dead landings. I really did hate those. Seems like Suzuki would have made a provision for that, after all it is a Dual-sport. Oh and if you just disconnect the kill switch you are still leaving yourself open for a problem. If you launch off a jump hard enough or land the rear wheel first the stand can come down and interfere with your landing. This is is a phenomenon that can cause serious injury.

HAPPY TRAILS

I do the same thing....

why do you have to have a road worthy inspection ?? I hope hope I never have to !! way to much stuff to put back to stock (drz400s)

What is the best method to remove this feature ? I still havent done this mod yet. :devil:

remove the kickstand switch, and follow the wires under the seat. cut and splice the wires just before the connector.

I think its a danger to keep it on. I almost crashed because of it once when the kickstand bounced just off the switch. The engine didnt die, but it came close. You could bungee it up also, but who wants to mess with a bungee every time they get on or off the bike. Plus it only takes a minute to remove the switch.

I use my kick-stand all the time on my S model. I just keep a bungee on the bike somewhere and if I am hitting a rough trial or going to a track, presto chango, the bungee goes on the stand and I hook it to the subframe or the passenger mount and no more dead landings. I really did hate those. Seems like Suzuki would have made a provision for that, after all it is a Dual-sport. Oh and if you just disconnect the kill switch you are still leaving yourself open for a problem. If you launch off a jump hard enough or land the rear wheel first the stand can come down and interfere with your landing.

If you are doing any serious jumping you might want to remove the kickstand all together. bungee cords can still come off, and if it does I don't want my leg to be next to it.

I would not want a bungee anywhere near the chain. Yes it's time to remove that switch.

It is very easy to remove. Just unbolt it from its bracket by the kickstand. Then cut the wire going to it (actually 2 wires inside a sheath). Best to cut them up high, like under the seat, that way you don't have stray wires hanging out. The 2 cut wires remaining on the bike then need to be connected- strip off a little insulation, then you can use a crimp connector, solder, or just twist them together and secure with electrical tape. That last step is necessary for the bike to run- you are telling the ignition module that the kickstand is always up, without the 2 connected it will think the stand is always down. Nice thing about this mod is that it is easily reversible if you ever change your mind. Reinstalling the switch will not take much longer than removing it, which is only about 10 minutes, even if you are slow like me.