Sign in to follow this  

VIN designations

Ok, When I posted pics of the DRZ I am getting, a bunch of TT'ers told me it was an 01, but the kid selling it says its an 03.

I have the VIN right in front of me, is it safe for me to post up in public or should I PM someone who can get me the correct information.

Or are there any numbers in it that would let me know its an 03 instead of an 01

TIA

Ok, well Im just gonna go ahead and post the vin because it wont work in that vin search thing

JS1DK433212103347

Thanks to anyone who can help

I dont have the title, and neither does the kid who Im buying it from. He called the kid he bought it from and he doesnt have the title either.

So I need to call the dealership that he got it from.

Without a title, I would stay clear of the bike. Possession is 9/10s of the law. I'm skeptical that way.

Ok, well Im just gonna go ahead and post the vin because it wont work in that vin search thing

JS1DK433212103347

Thanks to anyone who can help

The 10th digit is the year code as someone else has already posted. If in fact it were an 03 ( which it is not) it would also be a red sticker bike in California because the 8th digit is a 3. If it doesnt have a registration and it is in California you can not even put it in your pick-up or a trailer and haul it on the road in the state of California. You would have to go to DMV and get a permit to move it. With no registration and no contact with DMV, you might want to entertain the idea that it is stolen. If I were in California and no one you know has had it registered, I would run (not walk) from this until it is straighted out. Dont base it on what someone tells you, base it on a signed pink slip (release of ownership) from some one you know is the registered owner.

He says its an 03 and thats what he was told from the guy he bought it from. This is getting more fishy for me, so until I see some sort of title, Im not handing over any cash.

The dude selling it is harmless, really nice kid, he only had it for a year and didnt ride it much, so maybe I will just offer around $1200 and tell him its an 01 not an 03, because that would still be a sick deal cause the bike is really nice.

He says its an 03 and thats what he was told from the guy he bought it from. This is getting more fishy for me, so until I see some sort of title, Im not handing over any cash.

The dude selling it is harmless, really nice kid, he only had it for a year and didnt ride it much, so maybe I will just offer around $1200 and tell him its an 01 not an 03, because that would still be a sick deal cause the bike is really nice.

Dont do it :thumbsup:

Oh Im sitting pretty, dont worry, the money isnt burning a hole in my pocket.

Im definately waiting until I see some paperwork.

Good Move.

Knew a police officer that pulled a guy over for speeding, the license plate was ran and the bike came back stolen. The guy that was riding it bought it with money that he borrowed from a loan company but no one checked to see if there was a clear title. Bottom line - the bike was impounded because he didn't legally own it and he still had to make payments to the loan company. The guy should probably have suspected something because he bought it for about a third of what it was worth. I,d hate to see a TTr get in that kind of situation.