Strange Sound

My 02 450R has been down for awhile in need of a new clutch basket. I just got it running again and notice a strange sound. At first it sounds like a bearing going out but it is not the same sound a bearing would make (I don't think) and it sounds like it is coming from around the head. Any ideas??? The bike starts and runs just fine. If there is something in need of repair I would rather do it now than after it flies apart:)

Joe..........

The frame? thats a new one. Most of the complaints are a gear noise coming out out the trans side and adding 100cc extra of oil corrects the problem. Maybe your frame squeaks but I have never had one that has nor have I heard of anyone else who has has this happen.

The frame? thats a new one. Most of the complaints are a gear noise coming out out the trans side and adding 100cc extra of oil corrects the problem. Maybe your frame squeaks but I have never had one that has nor have I heard of anyone else who has has this happen.

what Shawn means is with the frame surrounding the motor sometimes its hard to find the source of a noise , not the frame making noise's ?

OK, 100cc more of oil made no difference. I can pull the valve cover and take a look. I just had the cover off to check the valve clearance so easy work but what am I looking for? I'm no idiot with engines but I must admit all my time is with 2 strokes so valves, cam, etc are new for me.

Joe...........

That almost sounds like a vaccum leak on the video. Check the intake manifold for cracks and it being tight on the carb and head.

I replaced the exhaust pipe about 6 months ago. Pics are here: http://www.tripleateam.com/dirt/v/User-Gallery/McLaughlin/Joe/album24/headpipe/

I spent my weekend riding the KTM so I have not had time to work on the Honda;)

Joe...........

The bike would sound different if you had all the parts on the bike. Sidepanels,etc.. Also you need to ditch that 02 ACCT get a 04+ or MCCT here on TT!

You lost me with the ACCT & MCCT? The back fender and side panels are off because I bought a new rear fender for the bike. It sounds the same with or without the plastics.

Joe......

ACCT= Automatic cam chain tensioner. 02's and 03's had flawed tensioners. In 04 honda redesigned the ACCT. 04 superseded the 02-03 part #. I would highly recommend the TT's MCCT = Manual cam chain tensioner over the hondas ACCT.

hmm, what is the isssue with the ACCT? I could see a loose or sloppy cam chain making the sound I am hearing.

Joe............

ACCT= Automatic cam chain tensioner. 02's and 03's had flawed tensioners. In 04 honda redesigned the ACCT. 04 superseded the 02-03 part #. I would highly recommend the TT's MCCT = Manual cam chain tensioner over the hondas ACCT.

Is the MCCT made by a TT member or some other company and TT sells it?

? So it's in there store?

I'm quite sure Joe that the adjusting bolt could snap or lose tension quickly somehow (I'm a bit foggy on the issue though) and cause the chain to jump a tooth or two and ruin the valves etc, etc.

:lame: Am I on the right track guys? I know searching I can find it but sure someone will chime in that knows the issue for sure.

So your saying we could still use the auto, ordering parts from an 04 ??

I think I would prefer the 04 auto over the MCCT ?