Sign in to follow this  

Best starter bike for children???

I am considering getting my child a starter bike for Christmas. Would want it to have electric start and be an automatic. Any suggestions?

How old?

I would say CRF50 if they are under 8 or small. Older than that or tall for their age and I would go with the CRF70.

Forget the electric start. Teach them how to kick, they'll need to learn it when they get older.

it definatly depends on the age and size of your kids. I started at 12 on the first year of ttr125l and it tought me a lot. without specifics though...

I started out my kids on CRF 50's (05 and 06). I did a ton of research when i purchased them and for the money they were the best kid bikes out. it has the tallest seat height (stock) and now comes in a 4 stroke. If you are going to buy it new let me know I will let you know the places to check out and it will save you several hundered dollars out the door.

the electric start on a kids bike is for the parents, not the kids. Its so you don't have to dismount and then kick the bike for your kid.

My kids do not have e-start. It forces me to teach them proper kick starting techniques. I also had to teach them to not let the bike stall.

These are good lessons that will be lost upon all those who start off with a kick starter.

Its so you don't have to dismount and then kick the bike for your kid.

i must be lazy, cuz i never dismounted the kids to kick start the bike :thumbsup:

If your kid is smaller, the CRF50 may not be a good fit. My son started pretty young and was happy with his Suzuki JR50. It's not in the same class as the CRF50, and he outgrew it quickly but it got him into the sport a year or so before he would have fit the CRF. My friend bought his son the Honda 50 and it was too big for him. His son doesn't ride due to being initially intimidated and mine is moving up to his third bike.

I haven't done much research at all, but early indications point toward the TTR-50.

I want E start and an auto transmission because I want to make it as easy as possible for my girls (yes, I have 2 :lame: ) so they don't get discouraged and turned off to riding. The TTR-50 has all that, and an adjustable throttle stop. Plus, it looks like Daddy's bike :thumbsup:

Once they're hooked, I'll teach them how to kick start and use the clutch.

If your kid is smaller, the CRF50 may not be a good fit. My son started pretty young and was happy with his Suzuki JR50. It's not in the same class as the CRF50, and he outgrew it quickly but it got him into the sport a year or so before he would have fit the CRF. My friend bought his son the Honda 50 and it was too big for him. His son doesn't ride due to being initially intimidated and mine is moving up to his third bike.

That is a good point. I started mine on an XR70. He was 9, almost 10 at the time, and way too big for it. However it built his confidence level and now just a few months later he is railling around on a 65 two stroke.

The PW50 is similar in size to the JR.

I guarntee someone will say "just put them on an 85 two stroke, that's how I learned and I started when I was two". Don't listen to people like that. They are dumb.

my son started at 4 on a TTR50E

he just turned 6, & has just hit the wall using all it's potential at the MX/SuMo track

time for more motor/suspension

they out grow bikes faster then shoes, sighh

i just thought id mention that you guys are the coolest dads ever, and i'll always secretly hate my dad for not getting me a bike. :thumbsup:

I started my nephews on a Honda CRF50, and yes, they outgrow them so fast it's not funny.

For that reason, I will never buy another new 50 again, kids barely ride them a full season, and then move up, and at that age, the most they do is scratch the plastics, so wear and tear is negligable.

A few hundred dollars can be saved by buying used, but be sure to see evidence of a kid, many adults buy 50's and thrash them to death.

I don't thing there is a "bad" 50 made, they are all durable and great buys, especially if you have kids more than a year apart, hand-me-downs don't end at shirts and pants!

I started both my boys at 3 on a '04 jr50. I love that bike. Never had a single problem with it. When my youngest turned 3 I handed the older boys jr 50 to him and got my older boy (now 4) a '04 pw50 (because it was a great deal and thats the bike he wanted, It was blue!). I would never do that again. I've had nothing but problems with the pw and I don't like that both brakes are on the handlebars. I think the automatic is a bad idea also.

Definitely a CRF 50. They are crazy reliable and they can grow with your child without getting a new bike. All kinds of accessories made for these little bikes, heavy springs, bore kits, tall bars/seats, forks the list is endless. If it's color or look your worried about you can get what ever color plastics/sticker kits you want. My best friend started his lil one on it at 4 now barely 6 he can rail on that thing. He started in first gear with training wheels now he's all of 2nd gear no training wheels. Definitely worth the extra cash to get the 50. Here is the best place to buy a new fifty.

www.southernhonda.com

Well... it is for my daugther, that is the reason for the e-start. I have considered the CRF50 and putting it in 1st and letting her go and that may very well be the route I take. Especially since she could grow into it and get used to using the gears.

Well my boy is now 10 and on his 3rd bike. They go thru them amazingly fast. Almost as fast as riding gear.

I started mine on a JR50. I liked the JR for a few reasons.

1. Its short. but can be raised 1.5" as the kid grows.

2. Its an automatic but you have to put it in gear. Teaches them shifting.

3. It has the brake controls in the proper locations unlike the PW.

Thing I didn't like about the JR is the chain drive. I have seen that thing get completely bound up with mud so the bike wouldn't even move. Not good.

But the JR was a nice easy to ride beginer bike.

I decided to stay away from the e-button. He needs to learn how to start it.

I also didn't get him a bike till he could ride his pedal bike without training wheels. I dont think you should have a kid on a motorcycle with training wheels. If the kid really wants to ride a motorcycle he will learn how to ride his/her pedal bike on 2 wheels. teaches them ballance.

I kinda went the opposide way with buying bikes. After looking at used bikes and the crazy prices they wanted for them I decided to spend the extra $200-300 and get a new bike. Used kids bikes bring in a fair amount of cash. You dont loose much when you get rid of them. I decided to spend the extra few $ and get something I know is solid.

My 4 year old nephew has been riding a CRF50 for the last year with training wheels. Not electric start though but it does have an adjustable carb so the little tikes don't get out of control. Nephew loves it and rides nearly everyday watch out Bubba and RC.