Sign in to follow this  

Check your Brembo brake pins

So I have checked four bikes and out of those four three of the bikes had missing brake pad pin keeper clips on the front mainly. Two of the bikes you could push the pin all the way out into the spokes because all the keeper clips were missing. One of the bikes was pretty new. How about your bike? Worth a look. Use safety wire on the out side, I do now.

I put a little blob of clear silicone over the keeper clips to keep them in place and I can easily remove the blob if I have to do any trailside or during race maintenance. Another technique other than good old safety wire.

Joe

Stupid question but is there just one pin for each brake? Thats all I could find and yes 2 clips (inside and out) on both pins.

When /If you buy new pads, try the EBC ones. They come with new pins and clips, unlike Moose.

So I have checked four bikes and out of those four three of the bikes had missing brake pad pin keeper clips on the front mainly. Two of the bikes you could push the pin all the way out into the spokes because all the keeper clips were missing. One of the bikes was pretty new. How about your bike? Worth a look. Use safety wire on the out side, I do now.

Thanks, Baja Me.

That could get ugly if they wobbled into the Spokes!

Along the same lines:

If you have a "TE" Husky, look at how close the Rear Disc Bolts come to the Caliper Carrier.

You tell me if Loctite might be a good idea.

(and don't ask how I found out!)

Thank you for posting this I am missing 1 clip replace with cotter pin for now :thumbsup:

David

Thats definately what I found on mine.......a small cotter pin was a temporary fix but I do like the silicone idea

ARGGHHH....I am busted with the silicone idea! Not mine originally. Was passed to me by Harvey from Bottones Cycles in Pa. (Harvey is a.k.a. the man behind the A.C.E. suspension mods) He actually ensures this is done as part of any new bike prep! Talk about attention to detail.

I am so ashamed :thumbsup:

Joe

Funny you should mention this. I'd went for a nice ride up in Kennedy Meadows and a couple weeks later was washing and doing some maintenance before going for a ride in the morning. Was rolling the bike and hear what sounded like a stick "ticking" in the spokes. Looked and initially couldn't see anything. Kept looking and seen the pin on the front caliper haning out 3/4" and clicking against the spokes. The flat head of it was chipped but there was no visible damage to the spokes...so not sure if it got hit in one of my tipovers up in KM or what. Could have been bad news if I didn't catch it... Got a new pin from Dan and it is now wired.

Kind of curious why the went with clips and not a screw in type. Or am I just ignorant being new to dbs.