Sign in to follow this  

El Dorado Forest Route Designation Project

Hey fellas, here's an update. The FS finally put their revised Alternative maps on the webpage as well as Q & A from the meetings in Placerville and Jackson. You can view them here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/projects/route/index.shtml

(look on the r/h side of page-Revised Alternative's Posted & Open House Participant's Question's)

The new maps suck as much as the old maps, it'll take some more time deciphering the differences to really see. Alt. B is still the one to go with, with the most mileage and actually having two areas of the forest inter-connect.

Also-here's the latest e-mail concerning the upcoming field trips. Try and go on as many as possible, this will show the FS concern for our sport instead of just lip service.

Revised Preliminary Alternatives Now Available:

The project website has been updated. Details of major changes to the

preliminary alternatives and maps of revised alternatives B, C and D are

now available on the Route Designation website. The Alternative A map

and mileages are being processed and will be posted as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Reminder: Field Trips Start Tomorrow!

“This is an excellent opportunity for the Forest and the public to discuss

route designation issues on-the-ground, rather than in a meeting hall,”

said Ramiro Villalvazo, Eldorado National Forest Supervisor, about the

upcoming field trips.

Come join members of the Interdisciplinary Team in a discussion about these

specific areas:

September 26: Meiss/Silverfork Areas

September 27: South Fork Trail

September 28: Indian Valley / Forestdale Divide

September 29: Caples Creek

September 30: Mud Lake Area

October 1: Lover's Leap / Picket Fence Trail

October 7: Meiss/Silverfork Areas

October 8: South Fork Trail

October 14: Indian Valley / Forestdale Divide

All field trips start at 10AM, additional information about meeting

locations can be found on the project webpage:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/projects/route.

Please RSVP to eldoradoroutes@fs.fed.us. Field trips with no known

interest are subject to cancellation. Check the webpage for updates.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email:

eldoradoroutes@fs.fed.us.

i am still shooting for the sunday feildtrip. I can barely walk right now but sunday is still far away.

Do you know if there will be people on these trips that are trying to shut the area down?

Quite possibly. Most of the meetings take place over the phone via tele-conference, so there might be people there with ulterior motives. Of course, our biggest opponent is the FS themselves!

So what about a ride on Sat.?

i am still shooting for the sunday feildtrip. I can barely walk right now but sunday is still far away.

Do you know if there will be people on these trips that are trying to shut the area down?

I went to todays field trip and was the ONLY non-greeny OHV advocate there :thumbsup: .The rest of the non-F/S civilians(4-5)including lawsuit instigator Karen Shambaugh-sp.?were from Wilderness society(3 from bay area)and had big titles from within their organization(and YES they would like to see us shut down).Several or the F/S team were quite reasonable and receptive to comments and the woman who is the hydrologist for the project is actually pro OHV(responsible use anyway) and wants to get bikes for her kids! We need to show up and speak politely and respectfully or our voice will not be heard!I hope to go again on Saturday,but others need to be out there as well.

Good to know Grizz. They definetely want to shut us down, by any and all means possible. I hate to take the FS side but they're kind of stuck in the middle trying to appease everybody. Keep in mind they're doing this project because of a lawsuit they lost against the greenies. :thumbsup: Hopefully I'll see you Sat. and more people as well. :lame:

I hate to take the FS side but they're kind of stuck in the middle trying to appease everybody. Keep in mind they're doing this project because of a lawsuit they lost against the greenies. :thumbsup:

Tony the project leader seemed to be more receptive as the day went on,Karen the lawsuit instigator was bending his ear in objection to reasonable suggestions quite a lot and I think he was tiring of it but she definately has an audience with him and it sounds as though they get together some aside from these official meetings.I tried to get some focus on reasonable alternatives and successes such as our Rock Creek volunteers and the work they do.I also brought up seasonal closures and found out they are talking now about Dec.1-Mar.1 with extensions if we are having an extreme wet season,The greenies sure werent happy with that!They want closures for dust!

I'm sure Karen Schambach gets paid from the Center for Biological Diversity to attend these field trips. OHV on the other hand has to goto their blue collar job. Hopefully the weekend gets a better OHV turnout.

I'm planning on attending the Sept 29th Caples Creek fieldtrip.

I am going to try to make the Friday trip (Caples Creek) and a couple of the weekend trips. I would have liked to do today's trip, but I'm just too busy at work this week. :thumbsup:

Is anyone going to make today's trip?

To Chas M and SactoXR- Good to hear it guys, welcome aboard. OldeDude is going to the Friday trip as well at Caples Creek, that's a hiking trip. A lot of people will be on the Sat. trip to Mud Lake. The Sunday trip is the sticky one, Shady is going to try and make it but he jacked up his ankle last weekend. It's a 6 mile hike to Lover's Leap and Pickett Fence trail. If we could get this one re-opened it would make an awesome single track loop that coincides with the strawberry jump run. Having people there is the biggest thing, tell the members of your club and get them out to these areas of concern. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I plan on making the Caples Creek trip Friday, but like SLR said, we really need someone to be at the one on Sunday (Lovers Leap/Picket Fence). There are two trails that are currently closed in that area that were proposed to be ropened in the original "altrnative B" but have now been removed from that alternative. Both are very important in creating loops rather than the out-and-back rides that are necessary without these trails. I will try to talk to the rangers about this on Friday, but having some of you guys there Sunday would be a great help.

:thumbsup: There was also talk yesterday about a proposal to make the Caples Creek area a new wilderness area.I have been pleasantly surprised in the past that many in the F/S crew have not been too enthusiastic about wilderness areas,maybe less to do causing budget and personel cuts?I hope the voice of reason can be heard regarding the Strawberry/Caples area,OldeDude and others had some good thoughts about re-routes around meadows etc. and I hope the powers that be will lend an ear to reasonable ideas.

I won't know for certain about tomorrow until COB today, but I have clearance (from the wife) for October 1 and 8. I had to trade back my Cowbell Enduro weekend to get these Sundays, but I think it's important that we're represented at all field trips. :thumbsup:

BTW, did anyone make it out to yesterday's field trip to South Fork? Looking at the alternative maps, it is open in B, then gets cut severely in C and is closed (almost) completely in D. I have never riden this area, but it looks like it's a significant chunk of mileage.

The ankle is feeling better but not great for a hike. I am still keeping sunday open and I am planning on going. Its funny, I know its good enough to ride on saturday but its the walking that will affect it.

The ankle is feeling better but not great for a hike. I am still keeping sunday open and I am planning on going. Its funny, I know its good enough to ride on saturday but its the walking that will affect it.

So tape it up-I'll see you Sat. 0900 Silver Lake.

I'm getting ready to head up to Caples Creek, hope to see some of you guys up there. I'll report back this afternoon on my observations. This should be interesting. :thumbsup:

So tape it up-I'll see you Sat. 0900 Silver Lake.

I really want to go riding but i am way over booked. My buddy says he will go to lovers leap with me on sunday so this is a go. God that sounds gay, My buddy and I are going to lovers leap :thumbsup:

I really want to go riding but i am way over booked. My buddy says he will go to lovers leap with me on sunday so this is a go. God that sounds gay, My buddy and I are going to lovers leap :thumbsup:

:lame::p:bonk::eek::bonk::mad::worthy: Turn your head and cough! :worthy:

Well the field trip was kind of interesting today. The best part was the participation, there were about ten of us representing the OHV community, including a couple that brought their kids, and only one person representing one of the wilderness organizations. Great to see us outnumber them by such a large margin for once. :thumbsup:

We hiked up to the first bridge and just a little bit past it where Tony (Forest Service team leader) was able to point out where some knucklehead had pulled off the side of the trail and had done a donut. It almost felt like a setup as he asked us why someone would do that. I think it might have been Chas_M who replied that just like the hikers have an element that might leave trash behind when hiking or camping, we unfortunately also have some members of our community that are less than responsible. After a little more discussion we hiked up to the meadow where we took a break and looked over the new alternative maps. Here's a rundown of some of the main points we discussed:

The Caples Creek loop will no longer be a loop in any of the alternatives (except "A" the no action alternative) mainly because of the washed out bridge. The area is a "Proposed Wilderness Area", so they say they can not put a new bridge in. Evidently they refuse to except the point that since there was a bridge there before it became a "Proposed Wilderness Area" that it would not be adding a new man-made feature but simply replacing a damaged one. Alternative "B" makes it a straight through trail from Silver Fork Road up to where it connects with the roads east of the meadow (the eastern part currently being a non-motorized trail). The whole thing would be closed in the other alternatives.

There has evidently been a new court ruling on the old Clinton "Roadless" policy reverting it from the currrent policy of the Bush administration back to the original Clinton policy. I don't know the details, and really neither did Tony, but it could be bad for us in many of the high country areas.

I asked about a couple of trails up in the Strawberry area, the Picket Fence trail that would make the lovers leap trail and the Jeep road into a loop, and the slide trail that is currently closed that completes the Strawberry loop. Both of these were on the original Alternative "B", but have been dropped from the latest version. They say that the slide trail (my name for it) and the last half mile at the northern end of Picket Fence are too steep, and the soil type can not sustain the current trails or any attempt to reroute with switchbacks, etc. Hopefully some of you can make the field trip to that area Sunday to try to find an option too get those opened.

One other thing of importance. They (the rangers) have been spending a lot of time out in the field and are seeing lots of signs of recent use of closed trails, AND THEY ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT! I know some people have the opinion that they will ride where ever they can until they get caught or something, but right now that attitude isn't helping us at all in this process. I just thought I'd mention it so you know that if you were to get caught, and they are out there on those trails at times, they will probably not show much leniency.

The latest alternative maps posted on the web do have some errors and omissions on them, hopefully they will have them corrected soon so everyone can get a look at what they might end up doing.