Sign in to follow this  

Where/when was the best ride of your life?

I have a hundred stories I bet would make someone laugh, do you have any?

...when I finished school, moved to Ft. Collins, CO and summer rolled around, I got a CRF450 and started riding fastbikes again. I soon after hooked up with some very good riding buddies(and riders) and we rode as often as we could, motocross practice at Berthoud and Johnstown during the week, then camping and riding all over northern CO on the weekends. I spent TEN straight weekends in a row that summer, gone Friday night and back Sunday latelate and beat tired from chasing trails and freinds all over Steamboat, Rampart, Burns, Rand, Mintern, Summit county, Aspen, Gunnison...it was epic. We rode in leftover snow from the spring and the first fall snows too, as much as we could. My truck and bike were so worn out at the end of the summer it was comical. In those lattitudes during that season, it stays light until 10 pm every night and sunrise is at 4 am, so you can literally ride until you go to bed and get up and do it all over again....and we did.

I've done some equivalent riding since then, but not in that volume and never again at that level of innocence to how much fun we were really having at the time.

Anyone else?

2001 - rode 100 miles through the desert outside of Vegas with Chuck Sunn the retired motocrosser and former Motocross Des Nations team member.

riding with my Dad - me on the back of his old CB when I was a kid, or us racing threw the Ortega Highway - such a good feeling

riding with my son - best feeling EVER

Riding with my dad in Parker Arizona. We used to go a couple miles away from the house, and then race back. I was on a 1974 XR75, man I miss that bike.

As soon as my daughter is old enough to ride, those will be the best rides of my life.

Friday night to Sunday night? I can't beat that story. Nice.

Mine would have to be in middle or early high school. Everyday after school I'd hop on my bike and ride down to the woods where my two pals on three wheelers would be waiting. We rode different busses and didn't have any classes together so it was never planned, just always happened. The two of them on their four stroke three wheelers and me on my RM80. We'd play chase/tag for hours. Their three wheelers had much more top end and pull away from me easily out in the wide open. My two stroke was much quicker in the woods and I'd easily loose them snaking through wooded trails. Good times. Oh to be a kid again! That was 20 some years ago.

Growing up on the back of my dad's 1993 DR350 in the mountains of colorado.... then i got my own bike and never rode on the back of his ever again... i miss it!!! I didnt have to do any work!

Everytime I'm on 2 wheels it feels like the best time. I honistly mean that

I coudn't have put it better myself. Going back a little farther...a freind of mine and I went riding one day when I was about 14 or 15 on a 1976 KM100 and a 1990 DT50 (yes, a yamaha 50cc dualsport bike - greymarket from Canada) and we rode literally 8 hours straight, ran both bikes dry and had the best time riding the slowest bikes on the planet. Little hills became huge obstacles but since we were both on pitifully underpowered machines we both had an absolute hoot...what a riot it was! I wshed I had pictures -we went mudbogging, hillclimbing, railed around a cinderpit, got rained on and sunburned and scraped up, had wheelie contests, traded bikes/traded back, traded bikes again...

Summer of 2005 in the tight twisty trails about Vallecito Lake outside of Durango, Colorado

Senior year just after dropping out of Football. I was riding in the woods close to the school with a buddy of mine and decided it would be funny to ride by the school. We both flew by the football field mid practice and everyone stopped and watched us. The next day a crime stoppers report about it went over the announcements. No one ratted us out.

My best times riding are always when I go camping and riding in the Ocala National Forest (the best I can get in Florida). Camping and Riding are my two most favorite things to do, and I get to do them both and ride in and out of camp on my dirt bike. We easily get about 100 miles in on a weekend and always have a great time.

The best ride I've had out of state in recent years was to Durhamtown Plantation in Georgia with my son and some riding friends. We stayed in the cabins and rode for two days straight. It was awesome for me because of the hills we don't have in Florida and the great company.

My dream trip is to Baja Mexico on a guided off road trip down the entire length of Baja California, Mexico peninsula for a week. Hopefully I'll be going within two years.

A friend of mine is a Ranger at Gorman and he took a buddy and I back into the Los Padres mountains and we hit trials that were hardly touched, only trail I remember is called Cherry Creek. Single tracks through streams and trees which is something I am not accustomed to since in So Cal you are pretty much left with the desert. Great day of riding and we logged over 100 miles.. Too bad it is all on fire now and we wont be able to get back up there for a couple months/years.

My best ride ever was in Davenport Iowa in 2003 at the National Vintage / Antique half mile. I entered the Open Amateur class on a 1978 Kawasaki KZ400. I had the smallest bike, displacement wise, there. All the others were mostly Harley XR750, Shell Yamaha 750, a few Yamaha SX650, a couple of Triumph 650, and a couple of Yamaha TT500. In the heat race, you had to place second or better for a direct transfer to the main. I placed third. In the semi you again had to place at least second, and I made it with a second place finish in the semi. For the final, I had a second row start, with a Harley XR750 on one side, and a Shell Yamaha 750 on the other side. I got a bad start, last place into turn one. On about lap 6 or 7 I managed to pass two bikes on the outside of turn 3. At the end, I finished 10th out of 12 in the final. I think there was 38 entries in that class that night. 10th may not sound so great to some of you, but it's an honor to make the finals at that race. The best of the best Vintage riders show up for that one. In the following years, I haven't made the final. I now ride an even smaller bike, a Honda XL350. Maybe I should dust off that old Kaw for next year? But the Honda is going to become a 412 this winter, so maybe it will do ok?

My second best ride was in 1981 when I placed 7th in the nation at the Amateur Grand National half mile in Kenton Ohio. I rode a 1978 Suzuki RM125 in the 125 Modified class. I had to ride Modified because the bike had a DG Head and exhaust pipe.

My best ride is every time I strap on my helmet, buckle the boots, and fire her up. When I drop it into gear and let the clutch out, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on! :thumbsup::p:lame::bonk::eek:

Friday night to Sunday night? I can't beat that story. Nice.

Mine would have to be in middle or early high school. Everyday after school I'd hop on my bike and ride down to the woods where my two pals on three wheelers would be waiting. We rode different buses and didn't have any classes together so it was never planned, just always happened. The two of them on their four stroke three wheelers and me on my RM80. We'd play chase/tag for hours. Their three wheelers had much more top end and pull away from me easily out in the wide open. My two stroke was much quicker in the woods and I'd easily loose them snaking through wooded trails. Good times. Oh to be a kid again! That was 20 some years ago.

I gave some thought to this one and my story happens to be very similar to yours. Me and my buddy went to two different schools and this was pre-cell phone days. We would just get home and head down the railroad tracks from different directions to a field for some riding. The field was all trails. One day, both our bikes were running well and we spent 2 hours straight playing tag. I was ahead for a while and just couldn't lose him. I came around a corner and there was the hill climb that we had dreams of conquering one day but didn't have the balls to do it. I looked back and he was dead on my tail. I said :thumbsup: it and laid on it. I flew up that hill climb and launched off the near vertical top. I looked back to see him half-way up...stuck and trying to keep his bike from sliding the whole way back down. I had finally won!!!!! My best riding experience ever. Yeah, this was about 12 years ago, I was about 14.

Any time I get to ride with my dad, I love it. Best of those times are when I throw on a backpack and grab the pack rods and we go hit some remote lake and go fishing. Except for the time when I pulled a muscle BAD in my back before we took off (backpack was really full and I must have turned wrong trying to put it on), and I still went..... that was a painful ride. But I still made the best of it and rode through the pain.

my favorite ride was prolly 4 years ago...my first full year on my yz85...me and my moms boyfriend at the time (he got me into motocross) and his friend who he rode with as a kid and his 2 sons went to baja mx for my first time on a real track...when we got there we were watching the pro class and nick wey was there...back when he was a yamaha catingincie rider...he flew past everyone i remember watching him as i got ready and he did a big table top and landed almost sideways and went straight around the trun passig like 3 people in that one turn...i hopped on my bike as fast as i could and managed to get out when he came around the next lap...i pinned it over the first table to keep up and i took the inside of the turn and when i came out i hit another table and he jumped right over me...his back tire landed about 6 feet straight infront of me...i could see every knobby on his tire as he came down infront of my face...hes been my favorite rider ever sence

Vallecito Lake, Colorado

My brother-in-law (crf 250) and I (XR-400) decided to squeeze in a ride after work. We headed up the nearby mountain (Middle Mountain). We took an old horse trail. There were lots of logs and rocks to go over. The trail was steep, tight, twisty. There were a lot of spots that we killed it and had to start from a stand still on a steep hill because there was no where to go back to that was any better. We learned a lot that afternoon. We wore ourselves out and then it started raining which made it even more fun because everything got slick and muddy. We worked hard and challenged ourselves. Wish I could do that every night after work.

The other good times I have had were on the same mountain. I would head up for a half hour ride before work in the late fall. The air was cold and the ground was frozen and there was even some snow. fun.

My best times riding are always when I go camping and riding in the Ocala National Forest (the best I can get in Florida). Camping and Riding are my two most favorite things to do, and I get to do them both and ride in and out of camp on my dirt bike. We easily get about 100 miles in on a weekend and always have a great time.

The best ride I've had out of state in recent years was to Durhamtown Plantation in Georgia with my son and some riding friends. We stayed in the cabins and rode for two days straight. It was awesome for me because of the hills we don't have in Florida and the great company.

My dream trip is to Baja Mexico on a guided off road trip down the entire length of Baja California, Mexico peninsula for a week. Hopefully I'll be going within two years.

+1 on the baja trip,only i want to do it in late summer and have a pickup truck filled with surfboards for support...we used to do a father/son camping trip with all of our family friends when we were kids,mostly 3 and 4wheelers and a couple honda odessys,upstate newyork in the summer time was great back in the day,currently its every time i go riding with my 9 year ojd son