Sign in to follow this  

1997 F-250 Powerstroke

Hello. I am looking at a 1997 F-250 Diesel with 130k. It doesn't seem like very high mileage to me. Is this average? Is there anything i should look out for on these? Any major problems?

The F250's had some issues with front end components, Ford attempted to get the best of both worlds, ride and strength, and failed in ride and component longevity by mating leaf springs with Twin I-Beam.

Check the spring shackle bushings closely, the up and down flex of the I-beam is also in-out, and wears the shackle bushings VERY fast. This will cause a wandering feeling, and may cause the truck to dogtrack going down the highway.

The later the production date of the 7.3's, the better they got, which just goes to prove that if you do something enough, you might get it right. :thumbsup:

Check thouroughly for oil leaks, and make sure the oil pan gasket is not bulging out in the least, in order to repair a leaking pan gasket, you have to pull the motor. :lame:

Other than the obvious, have a good tech check it over thouroughly before buying anything, the $100 or so investment may save you thousands of dollars and tons of heartache.

Have had many of the F-Series in the fleet out my way. Automatic transmissions come to mind as the biggest problem. Besides what Chickenhauler has mentioned, maybe find a stick. :thumbsup:

Go ahead and by a cam position sensor if you get it.It will go sooner or later,though very easy to change.I bought a 97 crewcab with roughly the same mileage and at 170,000 the tranny went,but from what I read I expected it to.The diesel forums have some good info on complete transmissions with HD internals but there pricey...I ended up getting the best deal(w/warranty) through the local ford dealer,ill never change one of those again...LOL I miss that truck everyday

I currently own a 1997 F-250 Powerstroke 4x4 with an automatic and love it. Mine has 3:55 gears and gets over 22mpg on the highway and around 18mpg around town. As far as the transmission goes just make sure that if it doesn't already have a LARGE aftermarket tranny cooler make that your first modification. After that I would highly reccomend getting some gauges if you plan on pulling heavy loads. I pull my 9000lb fifth wheel all over the country with zero problems. My truck has 106,000 miles on it and so far the only money I have spent on repairs is $75.00 fo a fuel pump.

If you do get the AT, change the trans fluid and filter regularly (I prefer annually or every 20k, whichever comes first)-never seen a trans fail from the fluid being kept too clean. Don't forget to drain the torque convertor too. You have to turn the motor over by hand to find the drain plug mounted on the outer rim of the torque convertor.

Well my friend who told me about the truck didn't really know much about it apparently. It is actually a F-350 with 145k. It is also a five speed. Sorry. Anything i should look for in particular with this? Is 145k too much? Thanks for all of your help.

An F-350 has the straight axle, and is the most durable truck ever made in my opinion if it has a manual transmission. My family has a logging buisiness, and we have been using these trucks for the past 15 years or so. I replaced my 95 last year with 180k on it, alot of that mileage being on the worst, roughest, logging roads imaginable and it still rode pretty good. We had another one that was an 88 model that had 400k on it when we sold it, and was still on the original transmission, the guy we sold it to still drives it. Bulletproof trucks that take a beating.

Well my friend who told me about the truck didn't really know much about it apparently. It is actually a F-350 with 145k. It is also a five speed. Sorry. Anything i should look for in particular with this? Is 145k too much? Thanks for all of your help.

The only front end issues with the F350's was track bar bushings, just replace the bar, it's only 2 bolts, and occasional shackles when used hard, besides the obvious wear of ball joints, axle joints, tie rods, etc.

The 5 spd had much better reliability than the AT, but did like to burn synchro's when run low on oil, or used to tow heavy loads at high speeds for extended periods. (We're talking at or above Gross Weight Rating, for hours on end, running 75+ mph)

Another weak spot was the front brakes, the slide pins need to be lubed roughly every 6 months (more if getting it muddy or winter conditions) with silicone based grease, or the pins would not "float" as they are designed, and bind in the caliper mounts and cause uneven brake pad wear and poor stopping.

Other than the normal wear and tear that goes with age and mileage, these were great trucks, fairly simple to work on, and durable if maintained properly.

One more thing one the 5-speeds: the dual-mass flywheels will fail and take out your tranny. Most people replace them with a single mass unit and a clutch in a kit from "south bend clutches".

I paid $700 for my kit, and $250 for a local guy to install it.