Sign in to follow this  

Clutch has to be in to start while in neutral?

Hi Guys.....I did some searching but couldn't find information on this. My 03 DRZ400s that I just purchased has to have the clutch in while in neutral to start. That doesn't seam right. Any ideas?

That is correct, the clutch has to be to start it period. Factory safety features....

Both the S and E have clutch switches...the clutch has to be engaged to start unless you choose to bypass.....The S also has a switch on the kickstand which will cause problems riding off road.

Both the S and E have clutch switches...the clutch has to be engaged to start unless you choose to bypass.....The S also has a switch on the kickstand which will cause problems riding off road.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I had bypassed both of those switches on my 02 about 4 1/2 years ago but couldn't remember having the clutch in neutral. I'll bypass both today. Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

How do you disconnect the kickstand switch, I've already done the clutch switch.

follow the wire from the kickstand switch to under the seat, and just cut that wire before where it plugs in and splice the 2 wires together

follow the wire from the kickstand switch to under the seat, and just cut that wire before where it plugs in and splice the 2 wires together

I noticed that my S started with the kickstand down....even though the switch was there and wires connected under the seat. So, I just disconnected the wires at the plug and removed the switch. Didn't have to do any splicing.

Does this mean that I could have a problem else where that could cause me grief later on?

Should start with kickstand down when in neutral, then kill the motor if you sitck it in gear with the stand down. The starter interlock (clutch lever switch) is completely independent of the sidestand interlock that kills the motor.