Ride report - camping/riding at Foggy Dew - Garmin 60csx tryout...

Let me just say this was the absolute best experience I’ve had on two wheels… (I LOVE MY TE250!!!) This last weekend I headed over north of Lake Chelan, Washington to go camping and dirtbiking with my friend from work Brian Wheeler and long time friend Rob Lutz. Brian Wheeler and I spent the last couple months preparing our bikes and going on training rides to prepare for the challenges we would face on this advanced trail system.

Day 1 started with a casual ride up FS300, and then on to trail 431 that headed up to Horsehead Pass. When we got to the top of Horsehead Pass, we climbed up on a rocky peak and looked out over Boiling Lake and Upper Eagle Lake. It snowed the days prior to our trip and that made the scenery breathtaking! We headed down the steep rocky switchbacks down the back side of Horsehead Pass down to boiling lake and stopped for lunch. Upon starting the bikes, after some bike adjustments on Rob’s bike, we headed through the Horsethief basin towards Deadman pass (gotta love those names :lame: ). Unfortunately that pass was snowed in so we had to turn around :thumbsup:. We retraced our steps all the way to camp and rested at the campfire after a good hard 40 miles of difficult trail. Brian Wheeler headed towards home because he was sick! Riding at 7500ft altitude is not exactly easy while sick…

On Day2 Rob and I headed up the Foggy Dew trail and soon encountered some trail maintenance volunteers blasting with dynamite. We sat in on a total to two blasts that day, and I’ll have to say it makes 4th of july fireworks seem boring :p:). We finally hit 5 down trees in one spot and turned around. Then we headed back up with a guy named Haywire and some other volunteers to clear the trail. Following that we rode up to Cooney lake (sweeeeet) and continued to meet up with trail 431 and back to camp. 37 miles of sheer fun and goodness.

The guys we met were all regular trail volunteers, and we were really thankful for what they do up there each year… If it were not for them, the trail system would not stay open to hikers, pack horses, and motorcycles.

Detail view photos: (Click on photo for larger view, then click “all sizes +” at top for full size view)

Needless to say, I’m already looking forward to heading back to this area next year… Next time we’ll go over Deadman pass, and hopefully do the Uno Peak loop. Perhaps we’ll camp off the bikes as well. Good times…

Great pics - the snow really wakes up that stunning scenery. Do you have any gps data you can share?

John Davies

Spokane WA

yes how was the gps. we are looking at getting some

The GPS performed flawlessly! I did a lot of research and explored a lot of options before settling on the 60csx. I have not regretted the decision for a second. It has not lost reception on the trail ONCE! As you can see from the pictures I posted, it lays real good tracks.

Here's why I got the 60csx:

- Color screen (TFT) very visible

- USB interface means downloading/uploading is fast

- MicroSD memory is cheap, you can get 1GB for about $40-50 online

- High sensitivity SiRF III receiver

- Magnetic compass and barometric pressure altimeter work great (These are not on the 60cx)

- Very durable, resistant to vibration

- Affordable- got mine to the door for a total of $338 after $50 mail-in rebate

- Does turn by turn nav in the car with tone alerts for turns (If you buy City Navigator)

- Other riders have raved about it

I got the RAM mount with one mount ball on the bars, and one in my truck. Wired up power so I always have the backlight, and fabbed up a guard for the antenna from an old barkbuster handguard. I'm set!

During this ride, I usually had the map view showing (I set it so North is always up) and I selected two data fields at the top of the map, current altitude and current heading. So cool to look down and see where you are, how high you are, and which direction you're heading :thumbsup: You can also mark your location by hitting the "Mark" button. Cool.

Well thanks for the gps info, but what I meant was, can you post your track DATA so we can look at the rides in Google Earth or in MapSource? Or use them to ride that area?

Have you considered posting this report at the Adventure Rider GPS forum?

GPS Tracks West

John Davies

Spokane WA

Let me look into that... I signed up on AdvRider for that purpose, but have had issues with the account... PM me with your email address and I can send you the GPX file.

Thanks very much for the data! I checked it out in Google Earth. I rode the Dirty Face DS Ride a few months ago starting at Lake Wenatchee and most of the ride was just across Lake Chelan from where you rode. That is great countryside for riding, esp if you have a plate! Consider riding the Dirty Face next June if you enjoyed this ride. Did you have any problems with the big Stehekin fire? Or had it died down by then?

One suggestion: clean up your gps data before "publication".

Some things to consider:

Delete the junk tracks (the ones that don't go anywhere, when your gps is turned on at camp and not going anywhere.)

Edit your good tracks so they are concise and avoid lots of backtracking. Join several truncated tracks to make one long one. Seperate the dead end or side excusion tracks from the Main Ride track. All this fooling around is fun to do and it makes the data much more usable on the map at home, and you can easily join sections in any way you want later to load into the gps for another ride.

Rename your tracks so they are descriptive: ie: "TR Twin Lakes 02B/ Doubletrack, waterbars, fun"

TR: Track (RT: Route)

Twin Lakes: Nearest major geographic feature

02B: track number, B means blue track color code (secondary through-route), the color makes it easy to see at a glance in MapSource what kind of road or trail it is.

Description: lets a stranger know what to expect, or jogs your memory when you look at a long list of tracks a couple of months later. Keep it short and sweet - most gps units won't show a lot of route or track characters, so put the less important info at the end.

Rename your waypoints so they are fully descriptive to a stranger. Use official map names when possible, esp for campgrounds, and use Forest Service Road numbers when known.

Here's an example of what you can do with a MapSource GDB file to spice up your trip data for you, or others, to use for trip planning:

IEPCO Tracks Waypoints 09-11-06.gdb

Unfortunately you lose nearly all of the special formatting when you re-post in GPX, but that is just another reason for everyone to buy Garmin!

Thanks again for the numbers. I wasn't trying to be critical, just helpful. The more guys who post their rides, the better for all of us. I encourage all of you who ride with a gps to play around with and learn your gps computer program, whatever version it is. I think the Adventure Rider GPS forum is VERY cool, with lots of good ride info and data. I hope more of you will contribute there.

John Davies

Spokane WA

awesome alpine scenary - places like these are getting few and far between. Ride em while we still can and good on ya for helping the trail workers out; most of the time riders just blow right by em

That looks like an awesome ride - great pic's.