is hungry valley open?

anyone know if hungry valley is open or if it will be open by sunday?

No, it will be closed. It may still be closed for a while. The fire jumped a line yesterday afternoon and is burning down into. At this time it seems unlikely that they will be able to stop the fire from burning Frazier mountain and part of Hungry valley. If the park burns, it may be closed for a long time.

DAMMIT, I really enjoyed riding the forest and surrounding area. I am bummed! It will take decades to reopen, if ever.

As of now it looks like Alamo Mtn. is gone as well as Snowy, Miller jeep trail and Yellowjacket and Halfmoon. Its right on the edge of Piru creek.

As of now it looks like Alamo Mtn. is gone as well as Snowy, Miller jeep trail and Yellowjacket and Halfmoon. Its right on the edge of Piru creek.

Yes, it has burned over Alamo. In a few places it is down to Piru Creek. It has crossed Piru creek a little to the west. It has been burning north from where it crossed and is now to the Yellowjacket trail, or maybe a little past it.

They have cut a huge dozer line from Hungry Valley, up and over Frazier, and down to Lockwood Valley.

if parts of piru creek is burned and closed...im guessing piru mx is closed as well??

if parts of piru creek is burned and closed...im guessing piru mx is closed as well??

It's near the headwaters of Piru creek where the fire is. I bet Piru MX will be open.

Gorman is gone. Lets say our goodby's to the most versatile terrain in socal. It hasn't officially burned yet, but it looks as if it is going to happen. If it doesn't, then everything else around it will be burned.

This not only sucks for riding areas, but I actually like the trees that line the trails. I think that everyone will end up in Cal City instead. It is about 45 mins away. I imagine that 20 out of work rangers will be patrolling Cal City now.

I know that the fire fighters are doing their best. They are much braver than many of of us. I saw some a-hole on the news last night criticizing them saying that it shouldn't take a month to put out a fire. What an a-hole!

One of the fire captains said that they probably won't have this thing completely out until november or the first good rain, whichever comes first.

If you listen very carefully, that sucking sound you hear is the vacuum created by the desert riding tires and gear flying off of the shelves.

What hurt was the fire really got going in the wilderness area where you can only use hand crews or air drops. And then the crews have to hike in.

Damm, This is going to put a ton of riding pressure on other areas....

Rowher and DWF are probably going to be stupid busy now.

Here's the latest. It doesn't look good.

http://fire.countyofventura.org/

Thanks for the link. If you scroll down you can see some video clips from the halcopter. Realley shows the type terrain that is burning.

If you click on the map and use the zoom tool you can see where it crossed puru creek.

Thanks!

Would say by the nasty cloud of SMOKE in my sky that the answer is NO.

Made for an awesome sunset though.

We all heard that it was someone burning trash in the forest. Do they know who it was?

Have authorities taken anyone into custody?

We have not heard about any suspects.

eah, Thats what I was wondering. I havn't heard anything and usually the media is all over that angle, (who did it? and are they going to jail?).

I 'am pretty sure that to burn anything on rural land you need a burn permit. And I seriously doubt any fire dept. or agency would issue a burn permit in August or September, So whats the deal?

eah, Thats what I was wondering. I havn't heard anything and usually the media is all over that angle, (who did it? and are they going to jail?).

I 'am pretty sure that to burn anything on rural land you need a burn permit. And I seriously doubt any fire dept. or agency would issue a burn permit in August or September, So whats the deal?

Probably because the USFS really has no clue how, who or what started the fire.

The notion that "experts" can determine the cause of a forest fire with any precision, without a witness and after a raging inferno is underway, has always seemed very far-fetched to me. But because the hyper journalists are always begging for answers where none exist, I assume that the USFS just throws out an educated guess. If they do have a lead or a witness, that is another situation. But if they did, they would also have a suspect and that does not seem to be the case here. We'll probably never know what really happened.

R

I heard it was lightning...

Probably because the USFS really has no clue how, who or what started the fire.

It's been reported that the fire was the result of someone burning "debris". :thumbsup: