06 CRF250X for strret use in california?

can you turn a 06 crf250x into a dualsport for strret use in california. if so what will you need to modify. what will i need to buy. please help i have looked at many sites and they all say to check california dmv site and i have gone there but i cant find anything on there. please help. thanks alot.

my e-mail is mcneill_shawn@hotmail.com if u need to contact me.

Legally I don't know. But the bike itself IMHO doesn't make a good dual sport bike because of it's 5 speed. Even with a 14t front sprocket it's feels like it's screaming at 55 mph. Unless you need the plate for trails, races or just connecting roads, I wouldn't bother. Save the miles on that engine for the trails. I'd get a 450 for a dual sport. KTM's new 450 and 525 exc is street legal from the factory.

I agree. keep the little X off the road unless you need to run from trail to trail. It 45 is all it comfortable wants to do down the road. Even with gearing it is still too small a bike for the road.

Not legally! But they do sell the kit. DMV if on the ball would notice the ID number and wouldn't issue a licenses plate. Given the reliability factor on these little beauties, why would ya make into a dual sport? You may be able to get to the next town, but getting back without rebuilding the motor may be problem

I run my 250 all over town and to the next town and still no prob i guess it depends from year to year and bike to bike youll find guys that have prob from the gate and others none at all just stay off the limiter and my opinion youll be fine..and freq oil changes...As far as the plate get it from www.trickdualsport.com. Dale is real cool and is part of the ama president I do believe..www.trickdualsport.com

You could spend all the time & money to get the parts to plate it and the dmv may or may not give you a plate. If you are one of the lucky ones and get it plated it could get revoked by the dmv. I read somewhere that dmv & carb have been working together and have been pulling plates left & right. :thumbsup: you are better off getting a drz or xr650L that come from the factory for the street.

I got my plate for my 250x yesterday. What a headache! I bought it out of AZ with the idea it would be a simplpe transfer. Nope. But I found a place that does registrations and they didn't ask any questions and got the plates. They even found a way so save me $100 on the title transfer!

There is a dealer in Santa Cruz that is plating bikes. They sell them brand new that way. Just saw two brand new 450Xs with plates at the local park.

Also, there is a place in San Jose or Campbell that can get you a plate. I think it's called Joe Racer.

I don't think they're "dual" sport reg any more....they're street legal though.

As far as I knew, you could make a crf 250X street legal but I just got shot down at the DMV today! It did not pass verification because it was missing the federal label that is found on regular street bikes and the emission label read "for off hiway use". I found a Baja designs kit on e-bay for $369 new and installed it in about an hour and a half. I had been told that this and a verification is all I needed but I guess thats wrong. Does anybody know anymore about this? If so, let me know. Thanks

Come to my dmv they wont ask for a vin verification it depends on dmv and individual just go to as many as it takes somebody will do it.

There is a dealer in Santa Cruz that is plating bikes. They sell them brand new that way. Just saw two brand new 450Xs with plates at the local park.

Also, there is a place in San Jose or Campbell that can get you a plate. I think it's called Joe Racer.

I don't think they're "dual" sport reg any more....they're street legal though.

I am pretty sure the bike has to be set up to be street legal from the factory not by a dealer you could buy a 450x or a 250x from a dealer and they can plate it for you but that does not make it street legal the plate will more than likly get pulled. Ive read alot of posts on forms of people get there plates taken away. I was in the same boat on what to do and I went with the drz 400sm very fun bike.