How to go faster...

I recently bought me a CRF250 and love it... I go to the track with my hubby but I feel soooo slow. How can I up my speed gradually? Mostly the corners. I tend to slow way down before I get there. Are there some good pointers on how to go faster? It's probably just getting brave enough... But I would like some input. Thanks

Practice, practice, practice, or use the philosophy of some "Throttle on till you see God, then brake."

Cornering is one of the many skills you need to be fast on the track (or trails) and it's one that I'm still working on.

Some of the tips I've been told:

Look through the corner where you want to go, not at the corner. Actually turn your head to look around the corner.

Use the berms & ruts to help guide the bike around.

Lean the bike into the turn.

Use the clutch to slow down going into the corner and get back on the gas letting the clutch out as you exit the corner. I'm trying to remember what I do with the clutch when I corner, it's been so long since I've been on a track!

And you might want to get your own username, when I read that you "Sawdustman" rode with the hubby I was kinda concerned. :thumbsup:

Another thing I try and do is, Pick an object on the side of the track before a corner further the better . I won't hit the breaks until I get too that point.

I have taken several classes given by Pro's at a local track. The first two classes were more an overall class going over everything. Learned a few things but not much. The last class I took was more specific. Our 6 hour class concentrated on nothing but 2, yes 2, corners only. Both had ruts, but each had it's own difficulties. I tell ya, after doing those turns time after time after time, I got good with and started to love ruts!!!!

See if you can find someone, or the hubby, who can tell you how to approach a particular corner you have trouble with. Just keep doing that corner until you are exhausted. If you can break down the track and just concentrate on just one obstacle at a time it will come together real fast!

Good luck...

Susan

Don't worry so much about going fast, focus more on what you're doing with your body relative to the bike; get your form squared away first. There is a wealth of good and very specific info in MX Riding Technique and Off Road Riding Technique - do a search on cornering and you'll pull up a ton of good stuff - give the moderators words weight, they know their stuff.

And you might want to get your own username, when I read that you "Sawdustman" rode with the hubby I was kinda concerned. :p

yeah, you can't have women riding with married men, cuz we all know that all single chicks are whores who just want to steal your husband. :thumbsup::lame:

sheesh.

w/o watching you ride, it's hard to say where the slowness is. if you're slow in between the corners, that's easy, just speed up. the more you ride the more it'll feel comfortable going faster.

if you're slow in the corners, then learn how to corner. here are some tips:

1. gentle and increasing front brake pressure all the way up to the apex of the corner, then transition from brakes to gas. no coasting.

2. lean the bike over way more than you. in the corner you should be sitting on the corner of the seat. weight the outside peg.

3. look where you want to go. by the time you get to the apex, you should be looking at the corner exit or straightaway.

4. weight forward coming into the corner, then roll your butt back as you exit to get more weight and traction for the back tire.

5. practice by getting a couple cones and doing figure eights around them. set them far enough apart that you can at least get into 2nd gear in between them.

6. ride lots.

7. don't really stress about riding slow. riding safe is way more important. just ride and learn good habits and eventually the speed will come.

hope some of this helps. many tracks have occasional riding classes taught by top-level riders/instructors. i find such classes exceedingly valuable.

yeah, you can't have women riding with married men, cuz we all know that all single chicks are whores who just want to steal your husband. :lame::p

sheesh.

Obviously you need to take another stab at reading the ORIGINAL post to understand what I was commenting on. Reading and comprehension are two different skills. :thumbsup:

Obviously you need to take another stab at reading the ORIGINAL post to understand what I was commenting on. Reading and comprehension are two different skills. :thumbsup:

lol, ok a little self-bonking is in order here. :lame::p what you posted makes more sense now that i re-read, and is actually kinda funny, especially on this creationist and homophobic site. heh heh. i won't edit the original post just so people can see what i retard i am sometimes.

still, you have to admit it's true about single chicks, right? lol

Another thing I try and do is, Pick an object on the side of the track before a corner further the better . I won't hit the breaks until I get too that point.
bingo. evertime I go into a corner I wait longer and longer to get on the brakes.

We already knew you were a retard but that's what we like about you. :lame:

We already knew about the single chicks too. :thumbsup:

ok a little self-bonking is in order here.

Hey now, Lets keep this clean! :thumbsup: