Is Yamaha going to do their version of a CRF150R?

That little Honda bike sounds pretty cool, I am actually thinking of getting one for my girlfriends first bike. But it would be sooooo much better if my blue buddies made a comparable bike. Anyone heard anything, the last I heard Kawi was on board with the same thing, but I really want two blue bikes in the back of my truck.

Yeah, they are. Or atleast that's what DR said. Haha

I hope your girlfriend is an expert rider and you like doing valve maintenence. That bike is no pit or play bike. It is mean as they come and pure race; not pleasure. Seriously.

I'm with you on the blue bike version and I'm very undecided what to do right now. I do not want to wait until our YZ85's are next to valueless to sell them, but I don't want to be left twisting in the wind with no bike or no choice but to buy a Red one if Yamaha doesn't come through in time.

You will find the prices for a 2 stroke in a total tailspin very shortly. EVERYONE wants that Honda once they see it in action. I want Yamaha's answer to it. Nobody wants a new two stroke; much less a used one. You should have seen how pissed a couple of the other race dads were when that Honda rolled onto the track. Not because they don't like it; but because they had already been "promised" the first ones by their dealers. Put money down, even. We're talking YZ riders. So Yamaha's already losing riders and money. Our sponsor is a Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer. I have no connection with Honda...

One thing is guaranteed: No stock 85cc 2 stroke stands a chance against the Honda powerwise. None. Zero. Zip. I don't think even a big-bore Supermini YZ85 can touch it on a big natural terrain track. If you read my post from yesterday, you'll see I witnessed enough with my own eyes to convince me.

god that sux, the four stroke strikes again, same thing happened w/ the big bikes a couple of years ago, we are entering the age of the backordered valves. :thumbsup:

There is actually a pic wandering around somewhere on this site, looks like a miniature yz250f.

Im pretty sure Yamaha had a prototype of this back in the the early 2000s. Someone ran it in Lorrettas... could be mistaken though

Everyone seems to assume that the Ama will change the rules to allow this bike into the 85 class. It doesnt look good so far with the discussions I have had with some oif the congressman. Seems like the AMA is against allowing it...rightfully so IMO. Honda has not even submitted for approval for the stock class. wait and see...Tdub

I hope your girlfriend is an expert rider and you like doing valve maintenence. That bike is no pit or play bike. It is mean as they come and pure race; not pleasure. Seriously.

No shit, that fast? Heres the dilemma TTR 230 too heavy, TTR125 shitty suspension, 85 to small, not enough power. So what do you think for a good LIGHT starter bike, shes not super skinny so she needs something with power. The KTM 105 2 stroker, that will scare the shit out of her.

:thumbsup:

Get her an 85. The race 150 isnt any bigger than an 85, and doesnt have any massive power gains. An 85 will be cheaper to buy, quieter, lighter, and cheaper to maintain, and you can share gas, haha. Why not a crf 150f?

85 or kx100

Seems to me that turnabout is fair play. Yamaha has a major bonus here. The competition has been unveiled...the opposite of the Yamaha-Honda relationship with the previous 4 stroke crossers.

Honda was able to line up the YZF's in their crosshairs on the former...this time Yamaha can put Honda squarely in their sights.

They know what the competition holds. Now they make their YZ150F eat the CRF150R for lunch. In addition, they introduce their larger bore 4 stroke super mini at 199cc, etc. They have the real world production CRF150R bikes in their R&D shops no doubt. They know hp/torque, revs, etc...now just make it happen.

AND

Honda fans are anxiously awaiting the supermini adult play bike extraordinare...BBBAAAMMM YZ200F baby!!!

I think Yamaha has had one of these ready to go for years. No reason to produce it, until now.

I hate to see it. The 85's are allready a nightmare to keep running if you have a fast rider on them. We can get 7-8 race hours hours of running out of a brand new Wiseco piston on a CR 85. Still, for 80 bucks its back in good condition.

Even if the 4 stroke lasts 4 times as long, it is still wearing out all of the time.

Everyone seems to assume that the Ama will change the rules to allow this bike into the 85 class. It doesnt look good so far with the discussions I have had with some oif the congressman. Seems like the AMA is against allowing it...rightfully so IMO. Honda has not even submitted for approval for the stock class. wait and see...Tdub

Since Honda is no longer even offering a 2 stroke 85, they must be pretty confident it will be allowed unless they are bailing out of the competition in that class. I truly think it is only a matter of time before even the 50s and 65cc classes allow 4 strokes, because that is all that will available for sale in the U.S.

Don't forget, the AMA is less concerned about our wallets, or the weight of bikes, or the fairness of off-road competition than it is with cutting power lunch deals with the EPA and similar D.C. bureaucracies. They have positioned themselves as the ONLY entity the government has to deal with when it comes to motorcycles, and most motorcycles, at least in a bureaucrat's mind, are NOT dirt bikes. The AMA only cares about dirtbikes for the tremendous revenue they collect off us (and why do we let them?)

If they can waste taxdollars and time regulating weedeaters, don't think for a moment they will care a whit about the effect of emissions regulations on offroad bikes and competition.

The 85's are allready a nightmare to keep running if you have a fast rider on them.

Then you need to switch to a YZ85. I consider my son a fast rider, and his YZ is darned near indestructable.

The same bike he won 4 (soon to be 6) season/series class Championships on this year; 4 last year, and 1 the year before is still running the stock crank and has never had its cases split, fouled a spark plug, or had a dnf mechanical failure in race. He has endoed and crashed hard enough to destroy 2 subframes and 3 radiators (thankfully, I found Devol made a full-sized guard for them, so no more smashed radiators). It still finished the races.

This is despite the fact that he once rode it for over an hour with the gas for my WR400 in it. That was 3 years ago, shortly after we got it. I still had "Yamaha Only" stenciled on my 4 stroke gas can (it was the only Yamaha we owned until the YZ85), so it was my fault, not my son's. I credit our use of Mobil1 MX2-T with saving that motor. I did not even have to do a top end on it right then. I just dumped the straight gas out and refilled it with 2 stroke gas when I got home.

So just how much tougher could you ask for?

We are on just the 2nd top end this season on his YZ85, though I will be doing another soon before storing it for the winter. Our neighbor runs a CR85 motor in his son's quad, and he has nothing but trouble like you describe with it.

Since Honda is no longer even offering a 2 stroke 85, they must be pretty confident it will be allowed unless they are bailing out of the competition in that class. I truly think it is only a matter of time before even the 50s and 65cc classes allow 4 strokes, because that is all that will available for sale in the U.S.

Don't forget, the AMA is less concerned about our wallets, or the weight of bikes, or the fairness of off-road competition than it is with cutting power lunch deals with the EPA and similar D.C. bureaucracies. They have positioned themselves as the ONLY entity the government has to deal with when it comes to motorcycles, and most motorcycles, at least in a bureaucrat's mind, are NOT dirt bikes. The AMA only cares about dirtbikes for the tremendous revenue they collect off us (and why do we let them?)

If they can waste taxdollars and time regulating weedeaters, don't think for a moment they will care a whit about the effect of emissions regulations on offroad bikes and competition.

Somethings got to be done!!