Sign in to follow this  

Dead DRZ 125 04' with out choke

I have tried the search but it is disabled. Currently I have an 04' DRZ 125 that I just purchased new (left over). The bike will start with the choke on just fine and idle well. After a minute I give it some gas and turn off the choke and it dies immediately. It has a problem of running with out the choke on. If you try to give it gas with the choke on it will die. I have gone so far as letting it idle for 3-4 min and it will still die if I give it gas. It is kinda giving me some buyers remorse. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Will

Have you checked to be certain the bands on both carb boots are tight (possible air leak)? Have you checked your fuel screw - should be about 2 turns out I believe. When new, these bikes are notoriously cold blooded, but it does sound like you have a carb/jetting problem.

The bands are tight and the fuel screw i will check. It seems that if I almost force it after many many tries that it will run, almost like it is cold, but the engine is putting off some heat as thoug it is thoroughly warmed up. It will finally run but at that time i'm ready to run it off a cliff. I have to put too much effort into getting it running for my son to ride it. I traded an 04 RMZ 250 for it and this bike is new off the showroom floor. Any other ideas? Thanks

Will

OK, new info. I made sure the fuel screw was two turns out. No gaps in the boots coming from the carb. I took out the plug and it was pretty black. I wire brushed it and made sure the gap was correct. I started it up and it ran with choke on . I was able to give it some gas but still bogging really bad. I got it to run somewhat with a bad bog around the yard and then it died again with the same symptoms. Any help????

Will

Are you sure that you are adjusting the fuel (pilot) screw? You have to remove a brass insert covering it. Perhaps you are adjusting the idle, instead. Here is a nice thread by our favorite Suzuki owner in the middle east, SuzukiLoyal, with some pictures: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373217

Are you using the choke correctly? Down is choked. Up is normal.

Thanks for the post. I am using the choe correctly. Thanks for the info on the carb. I will check it out tomarrow.

Will

I had a similiar problem on mine also. For one the fuel screw wasnt out far enough from the factory and also when i took the pilot jet out I couldn see or blow through it I then found that it had a little piece of crud in it. My fix was to drill the bottom of the carb to adjust the fuel screw properly and cleaning the pilot jet. Has ran like a champ since.

Clean your jets my buddies 125 was running like crap and we cleaned the jets out and it ran perfect.

Thanks for the info. I actually checked and my tank was really nasty. the bike wasa a leftover and the cap had rusted and all kinds of junk had settled into the tank and clogged the filter on the petcock.

Will

I am betting that your pilot jet is cloged. Take it out use a good amount of carb cleaner and some saftey wire to clean it. Let us know what the cause was.

I have tried the search but it is disabled. Currently I have an 04' DRZ 125 that I just purchased new (left over). The bike will start with the choke on just fine and idle well. After a minute I give it some gas and turn off the choke and it dies immediately. It has a problem of running with out the choke on. If you try to give it gas with the choke on it will die. I have gone so far as letting it idle for 3-4 min and it will still die if I give it gas. It is kinda giving me some buyers remorse. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Will

...Will i have just bought the exact same bike about a week ago...lovev it... when i start it up i let it run with choke for bout 5 min then put choke at half and just ride around the truck/yard for 4-5 min then take off choke kompletely and it idles, runs, and RIPS AROUND like its supposed to:ride: .

Tay

Im sure you have fixed this by now, but if not, clean the pilot jet with carb clean, fuel, whatever and compressed air. Just blow it out and make sure you can see daylight when looking through it.