Tools to change a tire?

I got my first flat tonight while practicing brake taps and air throttles to level out my jumps (pretty cool stuff). Anyway, I just gave the local shop $20 to put on a new tire and don't want to give them another $20 to change this tube. I am actually going to try this myself!!! I know, I know, many of you think it's cake to do but not for someone who has to learn everything himself.

Anyway, I don't have any tire changing spoons to do the job and was wondering how many people just use screwdrivers to get the tire off and back on. I always hear about tube pinching and am afraid that screw drivers are going to make the job that much harder. Has anyone modified a screw driver (like placing duct tape around the end to make it less sharp)? Suggestions would be a big help.

Yes, I do have the Transworld video to help me but don't have 3 nifty spoons like he does.

An experienced person might be able to change a tube with screwdrivers, a person without experience would have to be very lucky to change a tube with screwdrivers and not puncture the tube. Buy the tire irons, you are going to end up buying them anyway so do it now and give yourself a fighting chance.

do not use screw drivers.. theyll scrath up your rims, and maybe nick up your tire.. besides.. you cant get enough leverage with a screwdriver to take off a tire.. the tire irons are defenently the best way to go.. trust me.. its easy to change a tube..

I got my first flat tonight while practicing brake taps and air throttles to level out my jumps (pretty cool stuff). Anyway, I just gave the local shop $20 to put on a new tire and don't want to give them another $20 to change this tube. I am actually going to try this myself!!! I know, I know, many of you think it's cake to do but not for someone who has to learn everything himself.

Anyway, I don't have any tire changing spoons to do the job and was wondering how many people just use screwdrivers to get the tire off and back on. I always hear about tube pinching and am afraid that screw drivers are going to make the job that much harder. Has anyone modified a screw driver (like placing duct tape around the end to make it less sharp)? Suggestions would be a big help.

Yes, I do have the Transworld video to help me but don't have 3 nifty spoons like he does.

If you don't have the right tools do yourself a favor and have the shop do the job. If you want to do it yourself go and buy a couple of "Motion Pro" tire irons and have someone whom has done it before help you. Three tire irons minimum, and a spray bottle of soapy water. Place the tire/wheel on top of a milk crate or 5 gallon bucket and have at it. While you are at it, put in a "Ultra Heavy Duty Tube" in so as to minimize the pinch flats.

Get the tire irons. I have two of the 9 inch irons from motion pro. They are cheap. But the one that really makes the difference is the 3rd one that I bought to help out. Its a 15 inch one.

Get the motopowervideo and watch it very carefully. Trying to do it by yourself with knowing the exact tricks and techniques will be an all day, frustrating, annoying, knuckle busting, rim scratching, tube pinching and generally miserable waste of time.

After you try it that first time and fail, you'll be ready to pay $100 to get that tire mounted. So... get the video. www.motorpowervideo.com

You can order it from the TT store

Since you are just starting at it, go get some good tire spoons. I use screwdrivers, but I learned how to change a tire when I was 8 years old and was taught with screwdrivers. That transworld video is a good one. Just watch it a few times and go for it! If you have any trouble just walk back inside and watch it again. DO NOT STRESS! If you start getting frustrated then stop and take a break.