wow, this is embarassing

Just got a 05 crf450, now i'm doing the first oil change, and feel pretty stupid. First off, how much motor oil does it hold, and to drain the tranny, do you take that big hex thing off or what. I know it doesn't get any mroe newbie than this, but i dont have manual for the bike and i'm clueless, plus the search isn't working sooo. :thumbsup:

Just got a 05 crf450, now i'm doing the first oil change, and feel pretty stupid. First off, how much motor oil does it hold, and to drain the tranny, do you take that big hex thing off or what. I know it doesn't get any mroe newbie than this, but i dont have manual for the bike and i'm clueless, plus the search isn't working sooo. :thumbsup:

'SIR, PUT THE WRENCH DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!'

Seriously though, don't work on your bike until you have a manual or have someone give you a hand to show you what to do.

Just got a 05 crf450, now i'm doing the first oil change, and feel pretty stupid. First off, how much motor oil does it hold, and to drain the tranny, do you take that big hex thing off or what. I know it doesn't get any mroe newbie than this, but i dont have manual for the bike and i'm clueless, plus the search isn't working sooo. :lame:

Put the tools down bro! :p

When you get your manual, purchase the "Billy Who Bottles" :thumbsup:

Good luck.

both oil drain bolts are on the left side of the bike down near the shfter. The engine oil has a clear bubble so fill it until its full. run the bike and check it and add if needed. the bike should tell you on the right side how much oil the tranny takes. I would still buy a manual or rent a friend with some experience to show you.

i'm not some jackass kid, i just need some numbers. I've done countless oil changes, just not on a honda.

i'm not some jackass kid, i just need some numbers. I've done countless oil changes, just not on a honda.

Engine oil is .69L with filter change .66L without filter change

Tranny is .59L

There ya go....

Tranny drain bolt is back behind the engine oil bolt.

Tranny is .59L

There ya go....

The book says 590cc in the trans...put 650-700 in it. dont bother with the check hole thing. The procedure is stupid and ardous. Just measure and pour. :thumbsup:

Tranny is .59L

There ya go....

Look at you and your fancy base units. I'm impressed. Got that taken care of, uh oh, tomorrow I have to clean the air filter. Wonder where that could be, guess i better buy a manual first and have a highly trained technition show me how.

I think its somewhere around a little lower than 3/4 of 1 quart on each side.

Look at you and your fancy base units. I'm impressed. Got that taken care of, uh oh, tomorrow I have to clean the air filter. Wonder where that could be, guess i better buy a manual first and have a highly trained technition show me how.

He was just trying to help. I don't think he was trying to be a smartass. Since you don't mind being a smartass, I will dish some back to you. Its technician not technition, and you should also go see a highly trained English teacher.

Carry on!

He was just trying to help. I don't think he was trying to be a smartass. Since you don't mind being a smartass, I will dish some back to you. Its technician not technition, and you should also go see a highly trained English teacher.

Carry on!

Actually the other guy was being a smart ass with his initial reply. Guys come on! I think some are too quick on this forum (and every other forum on the net) to assume the OP usually knows nothing for asking a question, even if the answer does seem obvious. Granted, some are....but still why the need to point it out? I have found a lot of the people on this forum to be incredibly helpful. Why not just give the guy what he was asking for in the first place instead of going off with some remark about how he isn't qualified to change the oil?

If you dont want to bother measuring out the oil amounts just fill the engine side until the window is full. For the tranny side pull that big hex plug out of the right side and fill the tranny until the oil is just at the bottom of the threads. This will over fill your tranny a little more then the manual says but it will not hurt it. Its just gives you a little reassurance.

Oh and if you are new to hondas and you use the honda oils do not put a oil that contains moly (grey honda oil bottle) in the tranny side or your clutch will be gone! Moly in the motor side is good.

Just trying to help jackass! :thumbsup:

Next time you start a thread don't use words like "Embarrassing" or "Clueless", opens a lot of doors.

BTW, the air filter is inside the rear tire.....

BTW, the air filter is inside the rear tire.....

That's funny!

Keep in mind, after getting into the rear tire to clean the air filter, you'll want to fill the tire with Winter air. The Summer air currently in the tire does not have the viscosity required by lower temps. I recommend filling both tires with Winter air. Summer air in the front and Winter air in the rear will produce what's known as "airskipping." Airskipping works against the dynamics of the bike and make it nearly impossible to ride. :thumbsup:

thanks for those that contributed some usefull information. Now I know.

You don't need a tecknishian to do the air filter, but a contortionist might be helpful :thumbsup:

Absolutely! Hey, if we don't help each other out, what good is the forum? Make sure you post any other "embarassing" questions you might have. We love to help! :p:thumbsup::lame:

Do a search. This question has been asked about 930,184,556,298 times.

The engine oil drain bolt is on the left side and is the biggest bolt holding the crankcase on...bottom right of crankcase. the tranny drain is to the right of the crankcase and behind the shifter...fill the engine oil to full start and warm bike turn it off for a few mins and check and add if needed. for the tranny put oil in untill it comes out the overflow..the overflow is on the right side of the bike bside the big hex bolt...it should be a little star bolt..then when it comes out some let it poour untill it stops then place the overflow screw back in and your good to go. i use motul 10w40 for motor oil and belray 80w for the tranny. good luck