Motor Rebuild

I am looking to upgrade from a crf230 to the 150R expert and would love to turn this thing into a woods weapon. (yes I'm short so I will fit) However I ride everyday rain or shine and have put about 2500km's on my CRF in 3 months. Therefore I need to know how many hours/km's honda recommends before new piston or rings and a top end refresh are needed. Why did they stop making the XR250/400's?? :thumbsup:

since it is a race bike, it is required pretty often. but since you are doing trails, you can get away with not doing it as much

Well im not riding just trails I dont have a truck to cart my bike around. I ride mine to work everyday and whatnot, some days I might put 100+ km's in one trip.

These are the service intervals Honda is recommending for the new CRF150R engine.

Valve clearance check - After the break in ride and every 6 races or 15 hours after that. No specific interval on valve or valve spring replacement.

Piston, rings, piston pin - Replace every 6 races or 15 hours. It's a single compression ring slipper skirt piston similar to the CRF250F. It's running clearance (piston to wall) is tight at 0.0006"- 0.0015" , and the upper limit on clearance is 0.003". This is a REAL race engine, it's not a trail bike so "cheating" on the piston maintenance won't be easy.

The cylinder head is built like the CRF450 and uses a separate cartridge type carrier for the cam, and a bolt on cam sprocket. That's great from a maintenance and cost standpoint if a head ever has to be replaced. It also makes shimming the valves much simpler.

we are grinding some torque cams that come on way sooner than the stock 150r cam , it's good for beginers or trail guys that dont want to rev a lot....then we grind a screamer thats the same bottom as the stock cam and quite a bit more mid to top.....you should here that cam at 12000!

we are grinding some torque cams that come on way sooner than the stock 150r cam , it's good for beginers or trail guys that dont want to rev a lot....then we grind a screamer thats the same bottom as the stock cam and quite a bit more mid to top.....you should here that cam at 12000!

Could you post some dyno charts for both cams. im interested in the torque cam as we do mostly trail riding.

new rings every 15 hours? my god I can ride that much in 3 days! :thumbsup:

just buy a second hand xr :thumbsup: bulletproof low maintanence

""Piston, rings, piston pin - Replace every 6 races or 15 hours. It's a single compression ring slipper skirt piston similar to the CRF250F. It's running clearance (piston to wall) is tight at 0.0006"- 0.0015" , and the upper limit on clearance is 0.003". This is a REAL race engine, it's not a trail bike so "cheating" on the piston maintenance won't be easy.""

:thumbsup:

Im thinking of getting one for a 12 year old.

He will be useing it for Enduro and H/Scrambles and the time needed for training out the back .Is this going to be a heavy on the pocket as far as having to change rings ,piston etc every time you have done "x" amount of hours ? Or if you do the oil changes like one should do ,oil filter air filter etc etc.Will this be enough for me to run it to on a strict budget or is it going to cost me an arm and a leg every 6 races.

Im sure that honda have done there home work on this and it will be a strong motor.

Your Ideas and thoughts on running this like one would a crf230f ,for good old trails will be welcome.

Manufacturer's recommended service intervals are always on the short side for the average rider. They are based on a pro-class or "A" class motorcrossers who asks the most from the powerplant every minute that it is running, and even then they err on the side of caution. Be honest with yourself when evaluating your riding skill and reving habits. For the vast majority of riders, if you practice good oil-change intervals and NEVER let it eat dust/dirt, you can safely double the service interval. Casually ridden trail applications could triple the interval. A well-maintained trail-ridden bike will show virtually no wear at 15 hours.

Then again, some "trail riders" beat the tar out of their machines every time they are out. So be honsest with yourself and adjust the interval accordingly. :thumbsup:

There are numerous different stories to these hi RPM 4 stroke engines and their maintenance intervals. I recommend sticking to the Hondas schedule.

One of my riding buddies purchased one of the first "twin pipe" CRF250's that were delivered @ this time a year ago. With less than 35 hrs, the engine was TOAST. It needed everything. Valves, springs, piston, the coating was actually chipping off of the cylinder, you name it, it needed it.

It is going to end up costing him almost as much to fix it as it is worth!!

This guy is a "clean freak". When it comes to maintenance of the oil and filter changes, he changed oil after every ride since they don't hold much, and a new or cleaned filter every ride, and was almost anal about checking the calve clearance too.

SInce he sold his 2002 YZF250F, and performed likewise maintenance and never had to do any "major" engine work, He assumed the new Honda should run likewise. His bike seemed to be running a bit slower and slower after about only the 3rd ride. He first thought was that maybe he was just getting more used to the power, but then it just quit running altogether.

He is not even going to ride it once he gets it out of the shop, and vows to

sell it and go back to Yamahas.

Where is this headed you may be asking?

Be prepared to open your wallet for maintenance parts on your racing 4 strokes!! They are not designed to last very long between overahauls!

Just designed to haul ass!

Good luck and ride safely

One of my riding buddies purchased one of the first "twin pipe" CRF250's that were delivered @ this time a year ago. With less than 35 hrs, the engine was TOAST. It needed everything. Valves, springs, piston, the coating was actually chipping off of the cylinder, you name it, it needed it.

This guy is a "clean freak". When it comes to maintenance of the oil and filter changes, he changed oil after every ride since they don't hold much, and a new or cleaned filter every ride, and was almost anal about checking the calve clearance too.

Something sure doesn't add up there. :thumbsup:

There are numerous different stories to these hi RPM 4 stroke engines and their maintenance intervals. I recommend sticking to the Hondas schedule.

SInce he sold his 2002 YZF250F, and performed likewise maintenance and never had to do any "major" engine work, He assumed the new Honda should run likewise. His bike seemed to be running a bit slower and slower after about only the 3rd ride. He first thought was that maybe he was just getting more used to the power, but then it just quit running altogether.

He is not even going to ride it once he gets it out of the shop, and vows to

sell it and go back to Yamahas.

Where is this headed you may be asking?

Be prepared to open your wallet for maintenance parts on your racing 4 strokes!! They are not designed to last very long between overahauls!

Just designed to haul ass!

Good luck and ride safely

3rd ride? He got a lemon