13/47 same as 15/41 ? ? ? or close??

my stock supermoto gears are 15 tooth front / 41 rear...... my dirt rims i just bought the rear came with a steel 47 tooth sprocket.... if i change the 15 to a 13 in the front.... i should be able to run the same chain???? just re adjusted??

also.... ive heard some mix opnions.... but does swapping the sprockets around with the same chain mess up the wear pattern??? all will be steel sprockets... and i keep my chain like i keep my women... clean and lubed!!!!! :eek::bonk::mad::worthy::p:bonk::thumbsup::lame:

i think the chain will be to short for 13/47 but you never know..it is not a good idea to mix different chains and sprockets

hmmm.... i guess ill just buy a chain / sprocket set for my dirt rims... and keep the stock one for my sm rims

I have a 07 DRZ400S. I just went from the stock 15/44 to a 14/47 and still a stock chain. My adjusters might have changed about a 1/6 less than stock, but are slightly diff. than an SM.

New Sprockets

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=27564

A handful of rides here do swap out SM wheels to dirt, not sure what they do with chain and sprockets.

General rule of thumb...one tooth in front is equal to three teeth in the rear....so your math is correct...ratio should end up being the same...but like everyone has said...chain length may be an issue.

cmg1558 can do it because his S comes with a 112 link stock chain. The SM chain is 110 links and its too short to use with a 47 tooth rear. I have not yet tried changing the front sprocket but I doubt that will give it enough slack to clear. You can run a 44 rear with the S or E wheelset. Thats what i'm doing... 41SM and 44S with stock SM 110 link chain. I want to get a 112 link and run 44SM and 47 S.

I change the wheetset over using different sprockets (all steel) with the same chain all the time, lots here do the same. Watch for wear and you'll be fine.

Not the same or even close.

If you are trying to keep your reduction the same, and the rear is bigger then you must go BIGGER on the front also. 15/49 is lower. 13/49 is yet lower.

15/44=0.34

15/47=0.32

13/47=0.28

Low is good in the dirt, though. I'm running 13/49 on my E.

cmg1558 can do it because his S comes with a 112 link stock chain. The SM chain is 110 links and its too short to use with a 47 tooth rear. I have not yet tried changing the front sprocket but I doubt that will give it enough slack to clear. You can run a 44 rear with the S or E wheelset. Thats what i'm doing... 41SM and 44S with stock SM 110 link chain. I want to get a 112 link and run 44SM and 47 S.

I change the wheetset over using different sprockets (all steel) with the same chain all the time, lots here do the same. Watch for wear and you'll be fine.

so if i kept my 15/41 on the sm wheels... should i go with a 13/44 to keep the same chain? if i could do that i would order it right now!!! i dont mind buying a chain a year.... its just the ease of swapping the wheels and one sprocket in the front makes my day!!!! :thumbsup:

Not the same or even close.

If you are trying to keep your reduction the same, and the rear is bigger then you must go BIGGER on the front also. 15/49 is lower. 13/49 is yet lower.

15/44=0.34

15/47=0.32

13/47=0.28

Low is good in the dirt, though. I'm running 13/49 on my E.

sorry, my previous post wasnt clean.... when i said same i meant keeping the same chain..... i know the gearing will be different

why would you want to change the front sprocket for every swap?

so if i kept my 15/41 on the sm wheels... should i go with a 13/44 to keep the same chain? if i could do that i would order it right now!!! i dont mind buying a chain a year.... its just the ease of swapping the wheels and one sprocket in the front makes my day!!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah the easiest solution for you is to just get a 44 and bolt those suckers on. Thats what most of us do. I haven't tried swaping the front sprocket, but like DUZDual said, it will be aggervating. Let us know if you try it and how it works. The S model comes stock with 15-44 gearing, so it works fine.

The S model comes stock with 15-44 gearing, so it works fine.

Not in the dirt if you need to go slow or do hills, though. You will be slipping the clutch constantly. Minimum I like is 14/44, and in this situation, likely 13/44 would be best.

Divide one by the other, and you'll see equivelent combinations -

13/44 ~ 14/47

14/44 ~ 15/47

13/47~14/51 etc.

obviously a lower gear ratio will work better off road, but when your swapping out 17" street rubber to 21 and 18" knobbies and want to make the swap time as low as possible, you have to make some compromises.

Another point of the equation is how much do you want to sacrifice....IE: from riding to one trail head to the other trail head does it involve highway speeds on road....... because with a 13-47 or lower ratio you will be winding out the motor (WOT) to reach speeds in the 60's my perfect set up has 15-43 SM/ 15-47Dirt. dirt wheel max speed 79 mph

Agreed on saving time. I guess my point is why bother having dirt wheels, swapping, etc if you don't end up having an optimal off road setup? If you're just riding dirt roads, you could do that on the SM wheels, right?

For me 15/44 was way too fast for picking through big rocks on a steep ascent, for instance. It is likely also a function of rider weight. The heavier you are, the more you'll need the lower gearing offroad. At 200lbs with gear, it was not *enjoyable* for me.

I agree with you bob that the 15/44 is a little tall for tight single track....which is why i went with a new combo and new chain (112link).....

I run 15/41 with my SM set up and 14/44 or 13/44 for dirt, all on the same 110 link chain. Swapping the front sprocket is no hassle for me, just part of the process. I use blue loctite with good results on the front spocket and nut.

BTW-I keep my chain like I keep my women-dirty, kinky, and well abused. :lame: ...just for the record.... :p:bonk:

I live in the city..... so i dont see any trails close to my house at all.... I bought the dirt rims for when i go camping (IE sand dunes, desert) which means the bike will be in the back of my truck. Im a big guy 6 foot, 240 lbs... so ill need the lower gearing. Im going to order a 13 front sprocket and 44 rear... and use the same chain (hopefully) and ill keep my 15/41 set up for my supermoto tires. i know its more time changing the front sprocket... but id rather do that than break the chain apart each time!!!! :thumbsup:

I run 15/41 with my SM set up and 14/44 or 13/44 for dirt, all on the same 110 link chain. Swapping the front sprocket is no hassle for me, just part of the process. I use blue loctite with good results on the front spocket and nut.

BTW-I keep my chain like I keep my women-dirty, kinky, and well abused. :eek: ...just for the record.... :bonk::mad:

NICE!!!!! hahahahaha thats great :thumbsup::lame::p:bonk: