Sign in to follow this  

04-05 Cr250??

Just wondering does a Boysen Rad Valve help the lower end of the CR250 at all??? I am pretty sure I want the YZ250, but I want the CR for the handling. But I have raced against many other newer CR250's on my 250F and kicked their ass, it is a tight track and they just didn't keep the RPM's up which those bikes have no lower end power. Just wondering if there are any cheap upgrades to make these bikes with more lower end without spending that much money.

chances are they werent going through the corners as fast as you..

if you're using to riding a 125/250F you may like the 04-05 cr250, the powerbands are similar as far as delivery goes..the 250 just makes alot more power:) ride one before you buy one and see what you like and dont like

chances are they werent going through the corners as fast as you..

if you're using to riding a 125/250F you may like the 04-05 cr250, the powerbands are similar as far as delivery goes..the 250 just makes alot more power:) ride one before you buy one and see what you like and dont like

Yeah I would definately like to try them out first, but I don't know anybody that has them. And I don't want to just go up to some guy I don't even know at the track and ask him if I could try his bike out, just seems like the guy would laugh in face and say no. So I am just going by what everybody says.

To be honest if you're beating those guys on the track, it's the rider not the bike. I've seen a guy run the "Pro" class on a stock CR125 (bikes not known for power) go out a compete with the front runners on 250f's on a tight track.

IMHO, since I'm not a pro, when I raced my CR250 I was glad that was the bike I had because it didn't have a violent hit down low like a YZ or RM. That way, when I got a little "whiskey throttle", it didn't throw me all of a sudden, there was a little bit of give there. And if you're good enough not to worry about being safe, then you should be able to keep it in the power and be at NO disadvantage. :thumbsup:

True, I agree with that 100% that it has to do with the rider. But there is one certain part of the track I ride that I don't think that a stock 04 CR250 could clear, since it doesn't have that much bottom end. I mean does a Rad Valve help these engines out at all?? Also would a pipe help them at all?? I still can't decide between PC or FMF. I am sort of leaning for PC just because their stuff seems to be a little nicer, and from what I hear they bolt up pretty easily. But if I were to get a PC should I get the Platinum or Platinum 2?? And I know I want the shorty silencer.

I have an '04 CR250. Last year I won an AMA D36 enduro class championship on it. They can be made to work well off the bottom, but there is some expense. Here's what I did to my '04:

Eric Gore porting (low end emphasis)

FMF Gnarly pipe

FMF Q silencer

Steahly 6 oz. flywheel weight

Boysen Rad valve

50 tooth rear sprocket (49 tooth is stock)

JD jetting kit

I also won a few class wins in Hare Scrambles as well. So it also worked well in a more frentic paced environment. My reason for selecting the CR was, as yours, its handling and build quality. I was reasonably certain I could get adequate low end punch given the right tweaking.

I have ridden an '04 YZ250, and have had three KTM 300 EXC's. Also for reference, my previous race bike was an '03 CRF450R. For comparison, my modified CR was close to the YZ, and was adequate when compared to the 300's. Most of my friends are on KTM 300's and in trail riding scenarios, I don't feel I have a lack of puch exiting turns when play racing against them.

All of this is said with one caveat. Different people riding this bike would not necessarily agree with me. Riding style and experience has a lot to do with how any bike is received by the rider.

Good luck in your search.

Put a 51T rear sprocket on it and you'll have plenty of bottom end. My CR 250 with an SST pipe, 51T sprocket, and a V-Force feels like a much better all around bike to me than a same year YZ250 I tried. Definitely ride the CR first. IMO the handling and suspension are MUCH better than the non-Al-framed YZs. Like I said though, with the right mods, the bike rips.

Look at some tests where they note the lap times. the 05-06 CRs are just as fast as the other bikes, and they haven't changed much since the 04. The YZ, on the other hand, is pretty much a whole new bike from the 05 and up.... That should tell you something about the 03-04 CR vs YZ comparison.

Just wondering does a Boysen Rad Valve help the lower end of the CR250 at all??? I am pretty sure I want the YZ250, but I want the CR for the handling. But I have raced against many other newer CR250's on my 250F and kicked their ass, it is a tight track and they just didn't keep the RPM's up which those bikes have no lower end power. Just wondering if there are any cheap upgrades to make these bikes with more lower end without spending that much money.

I have been threw this, here is my cr, 2 post from top . It's an awsome bike. But I had too spend soo much just too get it where I like it. I think a yz would be a better platform too start with (cheaper build) .

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3846813#post3846813

Yeah I was looking that earlier on ebay. Funny thing is that it is like 30 minutes away from where I live.

I have been threw this, here is my cr, 2 post from top . It's an awsome bike. But I had too spend soo much just too get it where I like it. I think a yz would be a better platform too start with (cheaper build) .

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3846813#post3846813

A lot of people never get what they're looking for from the Yamaha suspension. And a lot of people have trouble with clutches on the RM. The CR has a little bit weaker bottom end, and the jetting can take a little longer to figure out. None of these bikes are perfect. I went with the Cr because I think the handling and the super-flickable feel of the bike make up for the motor.

True, I agree with that 100% that it has to do with the rider. But there is one certain part of the track I ride that I don't think that a stock 04 CR250 could clear, since it doesn't have that much bottom end. I mean does a Rad Valve help these engines out at all?? Also would a pipe help them at all?? I still can't decide between PC or FMF. I am sort of leaning for PC just because their stuff seems to be a little nicer, and from what I hear they bolt up pretty easily. But if I were to get a PC should I get the Platinum or Platinum 2?? And I know I want the shorty silencer.

Yeah Stock mine was a little doggish, but right after I got it I added a FMF Fatty Pipe and Shorty Silencer, with V-Force III Reeds, and it really woke it up to my liking. :thumbsup:

A lot of people never get what they're looking for from the Yamaha suspension. And a lot of people have trouble with clutches on the RM. The CR has a little bit weaker bottom end, and the jetting can take a little longer to figure out. None of these bikes are perfect. I went with the Cr because I think the handling and the super-flickable feel of the bike make up for the motor.

Yamaha has been working on there suspension, they have updated there 06/07. There getting pretty good.

Well here is what I am going to do. I am going to see what Bert's Mega Mall can get me OTD on a 06 YZ250, my dad knows the owner so I will see how low he will make it for me but not enough so that I rip them off. If he doesn't give me a good price I might start looking into the CR's.

Yamaha has been working on there suspension, they have updated there 06/07. There getting pretty good.

yeah, I was talking about the pre aluminum frame YZs. Their new suspension is supposed to be right up there with the showa stuff.

yeah, I was talking about the pre aluminum frame YZs. Their new suspension is supposed to be right up there with the showa stuff.

Yeah and I am talking about the aluminum frame YZ's. But like I said, after I sell my bike I am going to go to the dealer that my dad knows the owner. See how much they want for a 06 YZ250, if it is a good price I will buy it. If not I am really considering now a 04 CR250. I figure if I get the CR I will just put like a FMF Fatty with a shorty, and a boysen rad valve right off the bat. Because I want a good handling with a good engine, but I think that might be asking for too much. But I think with those upgrades the CR would be pretty good.

Geometry is one difference, the front axle is changed 2mm towards the back end. Modular powervalve is another thing that was changed.