Sign in to follow this  

Suspension set up for off road racing?

I'm not sure I understand the proper set up for hare scrambles and other cross country events. I'm getting an 06 YZ 250 and want to set it up for cross country racing. I'm 205 llbs without gear. Do I need heavier springs, heavier shock, ect? I know the YZ 250 is set up for motor cross, but how is the set up different for cross country racing? Thanks for your help!

You will probably be fine with the stock springs! I am 225lbs and run the stock springs in my 06 yz250!

However the stock valving is set up for motocross, ie busting doubles and big jumps. It is good for mx in stock form but will be too stiff for pure cross country racing!

First step to soften the forks out would be to lower the oil level in the lower chamber! Stock is about 330cc, I am currently running 300cc.

I have also changed the valving to make the initial 2-3 inches of travel very supple.

I suggest you get the bike, and break the suspension in properly, then take it a step at a time!

You could try these stacks that i use right now and think is much better for

woods riding than the stock stacks.

I posted it all in this thread

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412562&parentpage=6

These stacks where first posted by celler in this thread ,Big thanks :thumbsup::lame::bonk:

wouldnt it be nice if more people started to share what they discover...i wish..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391713&parentpage=7

i have changed one of the springs in the forks so right now i have a .46 in the left leg and a stock .44 in the right.

it got a bit better in the woods but also on the border of getting to soft for agresive MX riding...im still working on it ,and sharing ! :p

/Jerry

Here are my stacks, remember this is for soft, predominantly muddy, ground, lots of tree roots, not many rocks! Also my 06 yz250 is used for enduros only no mx and no jumps, so may be too soft for most!

32x0.1 x4 removed 13

18x0.1 added this

30x0.1

28x0.1

26x0.1

24x0.1

22x0.1

20x0.1

18x0.1

16x0.1

14x0.1 added

12x0.25 changed from 14od to 12

20x1.6 x2

11x0.25

Mid

20x0.1 removed 2

18x0.1

16x0.1

14x0.1

11x0.3 x2

17x0.3 x2

Stock springs, 300ml 5 wt oil in outer chamber, 3.5wt oil in inner chamber, clicker settings at comp. 12out & rebound 8/9out.

Hope this helps.

By the initial post, I get the feeling that this guy needs more basic information and isn't ready to do his own revalves yet.

My advise would be to go much softer on the compression clickers and set the sag correctly. Beyond that you can reduce the oil height a bit.

The only way to really get them good for the woods though is a revalve. That will cost money or allot of time and effort.

By the initial post, I get the feeling that this guy needs more basic information and isn't ready to do his own revalves yet.

My advise would be to go much softer on the compression clickers and set the sag correctly. Beyond that you can reduce the oil height a bit.

The only way to really get them good for the woods though is a revalve. That will cost money or allot of time and effort.

On that note I believe I'm in the same boat. I ride an 05 yz250 and have just started doing some HS out here in nevada. My biggest problem is 4 hrs of racing on that bike really beats me up. Before next season I would like that to be different. I am mechanically inclined and would like to learn more (much more) about revalving, whether or not I do it myself will be decided later but I would still like to have a good explanation as to what is going on in there. What are some good resources? Also, what are some good resources for general suspension tuning? I want to know WHY, not just, if A do B.

Spending allot of time doing searches on this forum will help.

Also, while Race Tech has some dated, dubious recomendations, their kit is a good place to start learning, and there two videos do a pretty good job of explaining the basic mechanics of taking suspension apart and putting it back together.