Sign in to follow this  

Dakar Husky Pics

Did some testing at the Death Valley Rally last weekend.

Some of the pics came out nice. After 9 months of development--here is what the Dakar bound Husqvarna TE510 looks like, in action.

Go Husky!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/DVRallyandDakarHusky2006034.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/DVRallyandDakarHusky2006023.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/DVRallyandDakarHusky2006013.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/DVRallyandDakarHusky2006035.jpg

With or without 10 gallons of fuel!

Havent weighed it. I would guess about 285 empty, and 340 fully fueled.

Its REALLY different to ride it fully fueled....but with only 5-6 gallons its just like riding our baja desert sled. The fuel is down low, and so its got a very planted feel.

Cant say it would be much use in the woods, but out in the desert its surprisingly nimble. GPS clocked the 06 TE at 103mph!

Great looking bike. You've obviously put a lot of work into getting the bike in shape. Good luck in the race.

R

You've obviously put a lot of work into getting the bike in shape.

Our Dakar bound Huskys are unique. There is well over 150 hours of fabricating in the many parts. Many systems on the bike were done over after race testing in baja. Extensive dakar related aftermarket stuff is available for BMW, KTM, Honda and others, but in the end we abandoned attempts to fit that stuff, and largely created our own platform. We are really excited about the team's program and the performance of the bike. Thanks for the kind words. :thumbsup:

I am now really looking forward to the coverage on the box,how about a detailed run down on the engineering,it must be interesting in the soft sand.

Many systems on the bike were done over after race testing in baja.

Sweet bike. But that begs the question - would you want to run that configuration in Baja?

Our bikes and truck will be on a boat heading to Lisbon during this years baja 1000-so we wont get to find out.

Testing various modifications in baja and mainland Mexico we ended up re-working suspension, electrical, fuel tanks, engine cooling, and more. After another failure this weekend....We are working on 'the clutch slave thing' and will probably carry a complete slave, stator, and a few other choice parts on the rally bikes.

The 6 gallon tanks on the bike are made by Acerbis for a French company. They keep the fuel WAY down low. Its a really nice feeling on the bike.

I would race the baja 1000--and the Vegas to Reno--with those tanks. But for other races they stick out to much. Plus the skid plate, exhaust and other parts have to be used. Kick stand, kick starter, etc. etc. are all re-worked to use the dual front tanks. Bit of work to get it all set up. We also lowered the oversize radiators and added a fan....it goes on and on.

But yeah to anwer your question--running fuel lower and using a fuel pump is a nice way to go.

Sweet bike. But that begs the question - would you want to run that configuration in Baja?

So you have electric fuel pumps pumping into a small tank higher up to gravity feed the carb? Or am I missing something?

I kinda meant the whole set up - fairings, big skid plate, windshield, HUGE fuel capacity and only stop every other pit stop to save time... Really don't know much about the 1000.

wow that is thee greatest Husky story. TE-510 what a machine!

Mike,

Did you figure out why your Bike Died at Vegas to Reno? Any word on the other Husky (510 I think) that Dnf'd?

:thumbsup::lame: Awesome looking bike, can't wait to watch the Dakar route get ripped up by the Huskies :p Best of luck,,, you know you're gonna have a whole lotta people rooting for you,

:eek::bonk: wishing you the best of luck from an envious Kanuck

Mike,

Did you figure out why your Bike Died at Vegas to Reno? Any word on the other Husky (510 I think) that Dnf'd?

First--Thanks again for the kind words Husky bro's! It really is nice to read words of support from all the guys who love our brand. Husky solidarity.

As for our 'issue' at Vegas to Reno--it was the crank bearing. Its the second time we have that problem. However--we think we have solved a mystery that plagued our '06 race bike.

Our ignorance! 9 months ago we cut the gear position indicator wire aka the 'black wire' -- we just assumed it was a nuetral light indicator on the TE510. Its a lot more than that! The bikes ignition is mapped for each gear. Our race bikes ignition was 'stuck in 2nd' for over 1000 race miles. No wonder it overheated....!

Anyway--we have re-attached the black wire and the bikes arent overheating anymore.

The 'detonition' issue that has lead to 4-5 crank bearing failures might be caused by the same thing. Not sure.

What we have learned is there are three things that can go out on the bike.

1) stator - build up of debris causing a short

2) crank bearing - caused by detonation

3) clutch slave - failure of the clip or the piston

We will have spares for two of the three. Nothing we can do if a crank bearing fails. We will change motors on day 8 (January 12th) just to minimize any risk of failure.

SO thats kind of our outline of how we are approaching spares, and what we will be looking out for in terms of the motor.

After a couple years of racing and lots of testing miles, we think we have it ironed out. Fingers crossed. The Husky is one of the most durable bikes made, so we have a good chance to finish, knock on wood.

The bike looks great. What sort of training have you been doing?

Yoga. Cardio (stationary bike). Long rides--more or less every weekend is now booked up with a long ride! Plus some good old hard physical labor with my construction crew. Nothing beats carrying bags of cement upstairs.

With a 9 month old in the house i am getting real good at the sleep deprivation thing.

I try to do 2-3 hours a day of some exercise.

Diet restrictions on alcohol, sugar, dairy, fastfood, fried food, etc. Just sensible healthy eating. I've been doing lots of Acai lately. Good stuff. :thumbsup: