Yet another question about streetbikes

Everytime I see a sportbike I get SUPER jealous. Even if I just hear them accelerating onto the interstate (my house is about 2 miles from an onramp) I will instantly wish I had a sportbike and I wont be able to stop thinking about it for hours. My question to all of you dirtbikers that used to have streetbikes, do you miss them? I could sell my truck (F150 Lariat), get a crappy compact truck for the rainy days, and get a sportbike.

Everytime I see one I ask myself how I can live without them. I have a couple thousand miles on the street and I know what its like. However, I can only imagine what it is like actually having power. (my streetbike was a 250). So, if you were in my situation what would you do? I like having the big truck because it is powerful, comfortable(leather), and it makes getting to the track easier. But I know I could make do with a compact if I were able to get a sportbike of some sort. Oh decisions, decisions.

I commuted exclusively on street bikes for the better part of 3 years while going to college. Always had a great parking spot on an extremely busy, crowded campus. I had tons of dirt experience before I ever thought about getting on the street. It saved my butt more times than I care to count. I worked at a bike dealership and was able to ride alot of different bikes (we carried 4 brands).

It was alot of fun. I owned a V65 magna at first, then got real serious. My 1990 FZR1000 was a dream ride back in the day. If you think they sound good, well....lets just say the power and pull of a liter bike on the pipe is simply ...........INTOXICATING! I ended up putting 25K miles on that bike. All kinds of great trips to the mountains from my Florida home at the time. Three Daytona bike week trips on that bike. Sometimes it sucked having no other vehicle but I never had a girl turn down a ride on the back either!

I miss it terribly. I have a family now and loads of responsibilities. It is not alot of fun to ride those bikes at the speed limit(read between the lines closely here). It is very much a personal decision. I don't know your age or experience level....those are definately factors in the equation. I just know that it was a great time in my own life. I think I am finally mature enough to consider owning one again. BTW I just turned 39.

Everytime I see a sportbike I get SUPER jealous. Even if I just hear them accelerating onto the interstate (my house is about 2 miles from an onramp) I will instantly wish I had a sportbike and I wont be able to stop thinking about it for hours. My question to all of you dirtbikers that used to have streetbikes, do you miss them? I could sell my truck (F150 Lariat), get a crappy compact truck for the rainy days, and get a sportbike.

Everytime I see one I ask myself how I can live without them. I have a couple thousand miles on the street and I know what its like. However, I can only imagine what it is like actually having power. (my streetbike was a 250). So, if you were in my situation what would you do? I like having the big truck because it is powerful, comfortable(leather), and it makes getting to the track easier. But I know I could make do with a compact if I were able to get a sportbike of some sort. Oh decisions, decisions.

You make it sound like most people do one or the other. I have both street bikes and dirt bikes and I am not about to part with any of them except the Harleys that I just sold. The current generation of sport bikes is not to be taken lightly. They are incredibly fast and powerful. I have a 2006 GSXR750 and it will do 80 in 1st gear without even trying and it only takes a few seconds, if that, to get there. It's pretty docile below 8k. Get it above 10k and you come face to face with the monster. The liter bikes are even more impressive and make more power than a mere mortal like myself can possibly handle although I have heard that the K7 gixxer 750's are now pulling on the K5 1000's. I got a 750 because it turns like a 600 and makes power more like a 1000. But don't kid yourself, if you don't respect them they will bite you, badly. And if the bike doesn't bite you the cagers will. And the potential for abuse is very high. It is difficult even for a conservative and mature rider to resist twisting that throttle and it only takes a fraction of a second to go from cruising to reckless driving, a confiscated bike and an overnight stay in the slammer.

As far as using one for a daily commuter, I wouldn't do it. Been there done that. I rode Kawasaki 2 stroke triple for years way back when in college. I even used to drive it back and forth from school on Long Island to home in upstate New York. I felt like the guy in Cannon Ball Run who drove his through a billboard. I remember one time I left Stony Brook on one fall afternoon. It was in the high seventies so I wore just a light jacket. Got up in the Catskills were it promptly dropped into the 30's. I spent half the night hanging out in a rest area on 17 outside of Roscoe trying to keep from freezing to death. That was my last long trip on the bike. And then there is the rain. Rather unpleasant to say the least unless you like the feeling of being shot at with a high powered automatic BB gun while simultaneously standing under a waterfall.

Also a former sportbike owner here...

I sold my '03 FZ1 about a year after I bought it because I realized I wasn't as mature as I thought I was.

After I got it jetted and threw a nice CF Muzzy on it, it was the exact bike I was looking for. However, after the newness wore out of it, I got to where everytime i got on it I drove worse, and worse (faster and faster) to the point that once a week or so I would leave the house and drive straight to the back roads a few miles from the house and ride like i was friggin valentino rossi or something...

The day I took it up to 150mph and it wanted more, I talked myself into selling it.

I got away with riding like a maniac for about a year with no tickets or accidents and I'm pretty proud of that.

My 6 year old kid and the new house I was building were what convinced me to sell. There are just too many things in life worth not killing yourself for a few thrills.

I sold the streetbike that I loved more than just about anything else in my life at that time and bought a garage full of dirtbikes so we could ride as a family.

I havge never, will I ever, gotten over that bike and I still drool over them everytime i see them and promise myself that "someday" I will have another. Honestly with the way my personality is I don't really think I'll ever be able to allow myself to have another. By the time I can afford to risk it I'll be too old to have the reflexes to ride it the way I'm going to anyway.

Now on the other hand, if the doctor told me today I had 6 months to live I'd have a brand new R1 LE in the driveway tomorrow. I'd rather go out on my terms... :thumbsup:

But don't kid yourself, if you don't respect them they will bite you, badly. And if the bike doesn't bite you the cagers will.

Yeah I know what you mean. I have been cut off so many times while riding my little 250.

Really and truly and truly though I wouldnt get anything bigger than a 600/650. I also wouldnt be getting anything new either. I mean cmon a first gen R6 still has like 120hp. My dad wouldnt let me get a 1000 anyways. And for those of you wondering I am 16 (yeah I know, a very immature age) and have been riding for about 2 years.

keep the truck , be patient and save for a bike , pick something like a suzuki sv 650 v twin [ more fun at real world speeds ] and be f@#ing careful.....

I have thought a lot about the SV650/SV650S. That is probably the only thing that my dad will let me get anyways.

I dont plan to ride slow. I mean, I cant even make myself go slow for very long. Even on my 250 I found myself doing double the speed limit often.

I know that it is taking a risk but I am not looking for lectures about how dangerous it is, I am just asking people what they would do.

You are 16. No matter how mature you are for your age, in my opinion, you aren't even close to being ready for a 600cc streetbike.

You already admit to issues with a 250cc bike on the street. It is hard to explain how much quicker things happen on a fast sportbike. You are talking about bikes that can hit triple digit speeds in mere seconds. They are very cool but no toy.

Keep the truck, enjoy your dirtbikes, build experience and then think about buying a street bike in your early to mid twenties.

The life you save may be your own.

At your age IMO no way. Not saying you can't handle it because I'm sure you'd be able. But I've ridden with younger guys and that young/high on life/no worries is what will get you. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not your father and not looking to lecture. not only have i been there, done that but seen it more time than I'd. Insurance is high for a 16 yr old for a sport bike also. so the money you get from the sale of your truck will quickly go to you agent LOL!

Well enough on that, as for what bike I'm going to go with everyone else and get the smaller cc. i started out on a Yamaha seca 2 and now have a cbr900 & a vtx 1800, the 900 as not been out once this year since i got my cruiser but that could be that I'm getting.....naaa I'm not even going to say it, :thumbsup:

Keep the truck, enjoy your dirtbikes, build experience and then think about buying a street bike in your early to mid twenties.

That is just the problem. I am really considering going the lawyer route right now. If I do that I wont be out of debt till im in my 40's and I really dont think that I can wait that long for a sportbike.

I have thought a lot about the SV650/SV650S. That is probably the only thing that my dad will let me get anyways.

I dont plan to ride slow. I mean, I cant even make myself go slow for very long. Even on my 250 I found myself doing double the speed limit often.

I know that it is taking a risk but I am not looking for lectures about how dangerous it is, I am just asking people what they would do.

believe me , the suzy would be plenty fast enough if the need for speed should overcome the , and i don,t intend to lecture on safety, but being an old guy who has been where you are now and more importantly , knowing what i know now , i think the sv 650 would a great bike for you to learn the ropes of sport road bike riding on. A great bike for honing cornering skills while still being fun at less than stupid speeds for licence survival. its not all about the straights....its about the turns :thumbsup:......I just had a better idea......super motard.....and hey , what are all you guys doing up at this hour ????????
That is just the problem. I am really considering going the lawyer route right now. If I do that I wont be out of debt till im in my 40's and I really dont think that I can wait that long for a sportbike.

All the more reason to get focused on that endeavor and live long enough to actually complete school.

You did the right thing by coming here and asking these questions....sorry you aren't liking the answers from people who have been there done that and BARELY lived to tell the tales.

What do your parents think about this proposition? Do you think you can hide it from them? Is your truck even in your name? If not, how do you propose selling it?

I have a much better idea for you. How close do you live to Barber motorsports complex or little Talladega? Those are a couple of road race facilities that have track days in your area of the country. Get a relatively cheap used SV650. Go burn some laps in a controlled enviroment with the proper instruction and required saftey gear. Having medics and track workers on hand for the likely mishap is a great thing too. If nothing else, go spend a day cruising through the pits there talking with some of the riders on track day and get their opinions.

I think that would be a great way for you to build time in a controlled enviroment with supervision. After a year or so of that, then if you still want to venture out on the street...go for it.

:thumbsup::lame:

You are 16. No matter how mature you are for your age, in my opinion, you aren't even close to being ready for a 600cc streetbike.

You already admit to issues with a 250cc bike on the street. It is hard to explain how much quicker things happen on a fast sportbike. You are talking about bikes that can hit triple digit speeds in mere seconds. They are very cool but no toy.

I argue with people about this all the time. I ride street and dirt. I first had a 2001 GSXR 600 and then turned it into a road race bike. I then bought a 2005 GSXR 1000 and turned it into a road race bike. I love street bikes but I don't enjoy riding on the street. But about your age. Bullshit that you can't handle it. I road race with a 14yo that races an R6 and does just fine. It has EVERYTHING to do with the individual and NOTHING to do with the bike. But yes respect is a must. Bone stock my 1000 did a 10.41 @ 141mph quarter mile spinning BADLY in second gear, and are our road race course will do 185mph.

CL2.jpg

I had a sportbike for 3 years. As mentioned above, the longer I owned it, the further I got from riding in a legal and sane manner. I decided to switch over to dirt where I could actually ride as close to the bikes potential as my ability would allow w/o worrying about cops and inattentive cage drivers. I could afford another sportbike right now if I wanted, but I see no joy in riding a bike at 20-30% of its ability. Even now when I get to ride my buddy's Aprilia Mille R, after about 10 minutes, I get bored or stupid and neither option is worth the $$$. Eventually I will get another street bike, but it will be something like a KTM950 Adventure or a Harley where you're not automatically tempted to wick it up and see what it can do as soon as you get on it.

I argue with people about this all the time. I ride street and dirt. I first had a 2001 GSXR 600 and then turned it into a road race bike. I then bought a 2005 GSXR 1000 and turned it into a road race bike. I love street bikes but I don't enjoy riding on the street. But about your age. Bullshit that you can't handle it. I road race with a 14yo that races an R6 and does just fine. It has EVERYTHING to do with the individual and NOTHING to do with the bike. But yes respect is a must. Bone stock my 1000 did a 10.41 @ 141mph quarter mile spinning BADLY in second gear, and are our road race course will do 185mph.

CL2.jpg

I agree. My first motorcycle was a 2003 600rr, never rode dirt before that. 1 year later I had a 1000rr because the 600rr turned into a lemon and I fought honda to buy it back. I was in my later 20's by that point and I have no issues with controlling myself. Yeah, if I found wide open straight road with no cars I would put it up to 160 for a few seconds but that was all I ever did. My plan was to do track days. I've since had to sell my street bike due to injury (not from motorcycles) and plan to replace it as soon as I can financially. Just don't be an idiot and everything will be fine. You have to accept that a stupid move by a car could end it for ya, but that is the chance we have to take.

I've had a bunch. I got rid of my Vmax about 2 years ago and miss riding that bike daily. Sport bikes are pain in the ass IMO around town. The gearing is way too tall and it's like a bull in a china closet.

I still have a CBR900RR that I rarely ride. I ride my XR650R to work most of the time because it's damned fun and plenty of entertainment. I just need some supermoto wheels for it and the CBR might get sold for something like a Valkyrie or VTX1800.

One of the most fun street bikes I've ever had (bought 2 of them) was an RZ350. The fun factor was off the scale and the sound was awesome as well.

I did watch my roommate die right in front of me when he went off the road at 140mph +. After that, I slowed down a lot.

Don't be a weenie....sell the gas pig truck and get a bike...

I was 16 when I got my license and two months after I had my license I had a 1986 Ninja 900 just like the one in the movie Top Gun.

Ninja 900 crazy big bike for someone with zero street experience at that time. sure was but I rode it just fine. Heck I took my test with that bike and never went down. After a year and some saving I bought a brand new 1990 FZR600, it handled better and went way faster. I was down after about 2 seasons on that bike, just pushing too hard into a corner, all was good.

Some things to remember.

You can only go as fast as the moron twisting the throttle.

Their are two types of motorcycle riders, those that have been down and those that will go down. expect to go down at some point.

Everyone on the road is a potential threat to your life, they are riding around in cages and could care less if they get into a fender bender.

You will die they will not, remember that every time you get on the bike.

Bikes are like JEEPS they are not the most practical vehicles for all scenarios but if you plan properly and know what you are giving up getting from point A to B couldn't be anymore fun.

I'm in the process of getting a Triumph Speed Triple for commuting reasons only. IMO it's the only way to get in and out of the city with some sanity.

Cheap on gas, free parking, no monthly T-pass, yada yada yada, I end up saving money for 6 months out of the year even when I work in a bike payment. I just can't justify financing a bike, I like to pay cash for this type of stuff.

All the more reason to get focused on that endeavor and live long enough to actually complete school.

You did the right thing by coming here and asking these questions....sorry you aren't liking the answers from people who have been there done that and BARELY lived to tell the tales.

What do your parents think about this proposition? Do you think you can hide it from them? Is your truck even in your name? If not, how do you propose selling it?

I have a much better idea for you. How close do you live to Barber motorsports complex or little Talladega? Those are a couple of road race facilities that have track days in your area of the country. Get a relatively cheap used SV650. Go burn some laps in a controlled enviroment with the proper instruction and required saftey gear.

I am about 30 minutes away from Barber and about 1 hour from Talledega Superspeedway. The thing is, I dont want another bike that I have to tow somewhere before I can ride.

My parents dont think much of this idea. My mom absolutely hates it. (but she doesnt have any input when it comes to motorcycles) My dad is an injury lawyer so he gets to see pictures of fatal motorcycle accidents weekly. He is not completely against the streetbike thing, he just wants me to meet a few requirements.

I dunno I guess.

I have the motard for my commuting.. so I can do a little bit off off-road stuff, and I also have my zx6r for the racetrack. It's numberplated, and I can do races, but mostly just for trackdays.

the SM lets me be all hooligan with the low end grunt and do off-pavement stuff, while the sportbike lets me wring it's neck with crazy revs.

pure dirtbike is next 4 me.

yo man 16 is to young to ride a sport bike or any bike like that on the street. trust me, i know. im 16 as well. and i have a truck like you. i can sell the truck, get a shitty ranger and a nice gixxer 750 or crb 600rr. but why? so i can kill myself by the time i turn 17. first off you dont have enough experience behind a street vehicle. my dad used to race street bikes and he doesn't even want me on one till i am 18. i think u should wait till ur 18 as well. and save the money till then. so maybe u can keep ur truck, and have the bike at the same time. i guaruntee if u get a street bike like that at your age, YOU WILL CRASH, and YOU WILL GET HURT. no matter how much offroad experience u have.