Installing Graphics

I am about to install new graphics on my bike. I went with FLU www.fludesigns.com. They look hot. Cant wait to get them on. Anyway does anyone have any tips on putting them on well. When ever I have done it in the past I have done a crap job and ended up with bubbles. I know that when car window tint is done they use a soapy solution so they can squeeze out the bubbles and I was wondering if the same prinicple can be used here? Maybe its a different type of adhesive? If anyone can shed some light or has some tips and tricks Id love to hear them.

Cheers

fill a squirt bottle with water and add a little liquid soap to it.....make sure the bike is clean and dry....you need a few credit cards or other stiff peices of plastic. As you start to apply your graphic, only remove as much of the backing as you need to as you lay the graphic down. use the CC to push out the solution/air as you work the graphics onto the bike. Once it is on the bike, the solution allows you to move the graphics around to fine tune thier place...once you have it on the bike, going from the center out, squish the solution out w/ the CC's, then let it sit overnight before you move the bike again. The solution will dry leaving a really nice placed graphics.

How does one get the stock graphics off the metal gas tank?

I think they are clear coated in......and the consensus opinion in the past is to just put the new graphics over the top.

Top info Maxx. Any idea about getting the old one of (plastic tank) or will she peel off no worries?

graphic installations can be a real bitch. i always seem to get bubbles or have some issues. i just have an experienced local guy do mine so they look good.

metal tanks are clear coated. you'd have to thrash the tank via chemicals or sanding to get the graphics off.

To remove the old graphics, start from the sharpest edge of the graphic and work it off in a straight line. Say the surface that you are pulling the old graphic off of is flat, 180 degrees. Pull up on the graphic no more than 45 degrees off of being perpendicular from the surface with a steady and even pressure. Don’t try to rush it. Use your other hand under the graphic to gently work it loose in one piece using your fingers. If it tears, start from the opposite side. As you work a large piece off, fold the sticky backside to it self so in the event you let go of it, you will not have to start over. To clean up any sticky residue left behind, use Goo Gone or an adhesive removal (make sure its for plastic use) solution from a parts store and clean with a mild soap or rubbing alcohol. This has worked for me in the past, just takes some time. You want the surface to be free of any thing left behind, or you will see it through your new graphic. Good luck and post some pics of it when you get done.

EDIT:

You can employ the use of a hair dryer or a heat gun to loosen the graphics to come off easier.

Use any soapy solution...I used Windex.

Then get yourself a "squeegie...or a flat piece of plastic that you can rub the bubbles out with.

I used a hairdryer to help the new graphics set better...worked like a charm.

and PS....TAKE YOUR TIME!!

fill a squirt bottle with water and add a little liquid soap to it.....make sure the bike is clean and dry....you need a few credit cards or other stiff peices of plastic. As you start to apply your graphic, only remove as much of the backing as you need to as you lay the graphic down. use the CC to push out the solution/air as you work the graphics onto the bike. Once it is on the bike, the solution allows you to move the graphics around to fine tune thier place...once you have it on the bike, going from the center out, squish the solution out w/ the CC's, then let it sit overnight before you move the bike again. The solution will dry leaving a really nice placed graphics.

Perfect.

Do what MaxxTraxx said.

I am about to install new graphics on my bike. I went with FLU www.fludesigns.com. They look hot. Cant wait to get them on. Anyway does anyone have any tips on putting them on well. When ever I have done it in the past I have done a crap job and ended up with bubbles. I know that when car window tint is done they use a soapy solution so they can squeeze out the bubbles and I was wondering if the same prinicple can be used here? Maybe its a different type of adhesive? If anyone can shed some light or has some tips and tricks Id love to hear them.

Cheers

I put the Flu graphics on my E and yes they looked good on the website. Once I put them on they looked 10 times better. Here's a some pictures. I have since redone the seat cover to get rid of the wrinkles, installed ASV levers on it (red ones to match the graphics), and I installed the RM front fender to give it a different look. I have to snap some current photos with those additions and post them.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/Kurl76/Numbers5.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/Kurl76/Numbers4.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/Kurl76/Numbers2.jpg

Be cafefull with a heat gun around your plastics, plastics melt under high heat; a hairdyer works great.