89 KX500 Glamis (0-500ft elevation) setup? help...

Ive been trail riding a kx500 here in pheonix. Have a paddle on but wondering if I can get a few pointers for jets/airscrew/needle and gearing. Its geared high now stock, but I never left 3rd with a paddle...traction was so hard to find in the sand here that I cant justify putting the bigger sprocket I have on. Torquey motors are great. By the housemate has a banshee with a 380 kit which he has WAY too much money into. If I could give him a run with "my junker" itd be worth gold.." much apreciated....Oh yeah Glamis is the dunes in CA, lots of hills and dragging in sand

I've found in the sand. If you run a 165 main jet normally, need to go up to a 170-172. If you plan to run it really hard for long periods of time. Otherwise they tend to ping and run hot. Wouldn't worry about the pilot too much. You won't be that low in the rpm range enough.

What paddle are you running? If you are haveing traction problems, get more/bigger scoops.

I have 15/48 gearing and a 12 paddle Skat Trak Viper, The one with the big paddles.

Mine will lift the front through 5th.

8 scoops 2 1/2 deep +/-, maybe thats the problem. It chews them up in about 3 rides (days). Reason they come off when not at glamis....shit gets expensive lol...It doesnt seem to have the topend I thought it would, lots of bottom and low. Any chance the power valve gets stuck or something? Its the only thing I havent checked.

Any chance the power valve gets stuck or something? Its the only thing I havent checked.

HAs it had a lot of castor oil run through it? the valves can get stuck on those and not rotate. IF you pull of the linkage cover you should be able to take of the C-clip on the actuating arm and cycle the gear rack rod deal in and out. If it doesn't want to move, time to tear down the top end and clean.

I put a v-force reed cage and a fmf fatty on my stock 03' kx500, all i did was bump up the main 2 sizes to a 170 and ran it at 32.1 with a ten paddle at glamis, think it was a little overkill, but on a good start i didnt lose a race up olds. so i know this is "safe" jetting for the kx5 if it helps you.