Best Bike For Speed Demon

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a new bike. My current 200 is fun but it doesn't cut it when I open up the throttle. I'm after a bike 2 stroke or 4 stroke (preferably 4) that will scare the bajesus outta me when I go WOT ? . I don't ride MX, most of my riding will be done either on trails or in rural towns (decent top speed plays a part here). So I'm after a bike with good power but don't want the high maintenance of an MX bike. Anyone have any ideas? And could you give past experiences with (x) bike?

Cheers

Get a CR500. If you like to go half as fast as you say you do, then this bike should push enough for you. But you will also find that any bike with a decent amount of hp will require a certain amount of maintenance.

Not to be an ass, but your post is far too typical of the average 16 year old clueless rider that doesn't give crap for details on what they truly need. Because of this, I wouldn't expect very many informative answers.

• Like 2

I'm guessing you want flat out speed, like 100+ mph (160+ km/hr). A CR 500 will do that, but would have to be geared such that it couldn't go slow. The tranny gears are too close to each other. A XR650R should work for you. It will go that speed, but still be able to ride difficult single track.

The XR650R will go a long way before fixing. Several times as far as the MX style 4 strokes.

A XR650L will also do, but the top speed is lower, and it's heavier than a XR650R. The L truly lasts a long time. They have been known to last over 100,000 kms.

Any KTM 525 or greater will work too. They are just a lot more expensive.

An older XR600 like I have would also do. Again not quite as fast, but a lot less expensive. With a fresh engine, I've measured mine at 90mph (147 km/hr). It also lasts almost forever. I believe that they were pretty popular down under, so you should be able to find one.

Thanks cleonard, I just had a look on bikesales.com.au and can pick up a decent looking 01-04 XR650R from about $5500AUD-$8000AUD. I don't quite think I'll need that top speed but it would be nice to know that if I felt like it I could take it there ?. Looks like I should start saving.

Yeah, a CR500, 525, or 650 outta do. I imagine those aprilia v-twins will have crazy top speed, they said the aprilia 550 has a redline of 13500 or something crazy like that I cant remember but I heard theyre scary fast and can be whipped around with ease and have gobs of horsepower. The 450 has 55hp supposedly. I dont know though, one dude on here said his friend had a kx500 with 93 hp, tell me that thing wont fly to mars.

Get a CR500. If you like to go half as fast as you say you do, then this bike should push enough for you. But you will also find that any bike with a decent amount of hp will require a certain amount of maintenance.

Not to be an ass, but your post is far too typical of the average 16 year old clueless rider that doesn't give crap for details on what they truly need. Because of this, I wouldn't expect very many informative answers.

I gave the details on what I need, a fast bike. I'm not fussed about anything else other than price and to a degree, manouverability/reasonable weight. Forgive me for wanting a quick bike, i'm sure when you were 16 (good guess on age though ? ) hooning around flat stick was on your agenda as well. Am I wrong? By the way I do have cert. II in Automotive Engineering. I'm not just a dopey fool with a vocabulary of fast and big. I do have experience in Automotive (although I am reasonably new to bikes). Btw, how would you know what I "truly need"?

The KX500 sounds good, I've never ridden one but I've heard that it has a habit of needing frequent rebuilds, whether this is just poor work by the rider or the bike itself I don't know.Rebuilds are the main things that put me off 2 strokes but a $70 rebuild sounds good to me ? As for insurance....I have never really injured myself on a dirtbike, i'm not the type to hop on and go balls to the wall with that throttle. But a 500 probably would be a bit of overkill, I think even a 300exc would do, unfortuneately I don't have the moolah to fork out for a KTM. I'll see how much power I can get out of my 200 before I get really bored and need to hop up a bit. As for the 700 ATK 2 stroke mentioned earlier, I don't even think these are available here in Aus, I've never heard of them :lame: Sounds like it would put anyone on their arse (yes we spell it with an r) at the drop of a hat.

The KX500 sounds good, I've never ridden one but I've heard that it has a habit of needing frequent rebuilds, whether this is just poor work by the rider or the bike itself I don't know.Rebuilds are the main things that put me off 2 strokes but a $70 rebuild sounds good to me ? As for insurance....I have never really injured myself on a dirtbike, i'm not the type to hop on and go balls to the wall with that throttle. But a 500 probably would be a bit of overkill, I think even a 300exc would do, unfortuneately I don't have the moolah to fork out for a KTM. I'll see how much power I can get out of my 200 before I get really bored and need to hop up a bit. As for the 700 ATK 2 stroke mentioned earlier, I don't even think these are available here in Aus, I've never heard of them :lame: Sounds like it would put anyone on their arse (yes we spell it with an r) at the drop of a hat.

I had a 2000 KX500. It did 105mph on GPS with sprocket change.

It had a ton of hours on it and never needed rebuilding. 500's are low reving motors, so are a lot easier on top ends than 125's and 250's.

The maintenance needs on a 500 are WAY less than any modern 4-stroker.