Sign in to follow this  

Husaberg: The art of living dangerously?

i used the 1/8 turn method , try using a porsche tool for ease of adjustment .

lets make sure that berg motor stays on tdc .

OK, I'll bite: What's the Porsche tool?

Porsche tool , makes adjusting the valves easy on the mighty bergs

go to a Porsche car service centre and ask for a look at the valve adj tool .

also when you adj your valves no need to remove the radiator , just cover the radiator with cardboard .

you all probably know this already , but i will pass on the info anyway. :devil:

I heard the pencil in the hole method is awesome. :thumbsdn:

Just ask 'bigbob'. :devil:

We were seriously thinking of adding a pencil to the tool kit for 2007 :devil:

Seriously a TDC finder that you screw into the plug hole would be a good idea.

I have advanced beyond the pencil method thanks to MotoXotica's mechanic showing me how to use the kick starter to push it into the position(s) neccessary to check each set of valves separately.

It would be nice if the Berg almighty would at least give valve clearance checking and adjustment directions, and provide a mark for TDC finding, all in the owners manual with pictures.........but then who am I but another pencil pushing engineer. :devil::thumbsdn:

TDC can be found by looking at the mark on the stator through the inspection window.

TDC can be found by looking at the mark on the stator through the inspection window.

man and I thought that was for air circulation..... :thumbsdn:

I don't use any tools other than the basics...I rarely adjust them so....

Funny, everytime I pick up a pencil in my garage I start laughing...poor Bob... poor bugger will never live that one down.... :devil:

my point is: The Husaberg owners manual does not say that or provide graphics of said mark or provide any HOW TO guidanace at all about the valves other then they give the clearance tolerances.

maybe the 2007 manual says something? my 2006 manual was silent on Valve clearance check method and adjustment procedures except noting is to be done every 15/30 hours or so in the maintenance schedule

man and I thought that was for air circulation..... :thumbsdn:

I don't use any tools other than the basics...I rarely adjust them so....

Funny, everytime I pick up a pencil in my garage I start laughing...poor Bob... poor bugger will never live that one down.... :devil:

Another inner joke involves a claw hammer. I always carry a claw hammer in my truck when I go riding now.

my point is: The Husaberg owners manual does not say that or provide graphics of said mark or provide any HOW TO guidanace at all about the valves other then they give the clearance tolerances.

maybe the 2007 manual says something? my 2006 manual was silent on Valve clearance check method and adjustment procedures except noting is to be done every 15/30 hours or so in the maintenance schedule

I don't have a manual, I got it as is and what I did was ask a s---load of questions and download any manuals and videos I could get hold of, especially the ones in the download section at husaberg.org.

One of the videos show how to find TDC by using this method. But even then the first time I adjusted the valves I was at the wrong TDC (50% chance of getting it wrong) and if it is obvious for the mechanically inclined, it was not for me, as I am a computer guy.

Now people ask me computer-related questions which I find obvious, but it's not for them.

You can't always get it right at the first try, you need to go through trials and errors but you can reduce your margin of error by informing yourself.

To get the piston up on tdc there is a bolt in the front of the motor that is removed. There is a special tool (a bolt with a point on the end) that fits into a hole in the crank when the piston is at the top of the cylinder. You will have to look at camshat orientation to determine if it is at TDC compression.

This is on the 04 and up bikes.

Thanks for this thread guys. I just bought an FE550 with a motard kit and im keen to get some info on maintainence as well. I ride on the road mainly but will be swapping the wheels over every now and then. Sometimes I will ride it on the highway for an hour trip each way. Is this too much? What should I do to keep in in good shape?