I wanna KTM

I just got back from the Rimrock grand pre, here in Washington st. Its a cross-country type race thats in the bottom of Rimrock lake (after they drain it for winter run-off) it was a little over 9 miles round'. and the KTM's just ruled it. KTM's just own that kind of racing. the 520 is an awsome bike. I have a CRF 450r and love it but its a moto-crosser, not a trail bike. so now I want another toy!!!!! ?

I went to one of the National Desert Race Series races last year where half the field was KTM, and the other half was split between all other brands combined. I ride a Yamaha, but both of my son's (age 10 & 16) ride KTM. KTM makes some great bikes, thats for sure.

I just got back from the Rimrock grand pre, here in Washington st. Its a cross-country type race thats in the bottom of Rimrock lake (after they drain it for winter run-off) it was a little over 9 miles round'. and the KTM's just ruled it. KTM's just own that kind of racing. the 520 is an awsome bike. I have a CRF 450r and love it but its a moto-crosser, not a trail bike. so now I want another toy!!!!! ?

your avatar is even puking orange, the pumpkin blood is inside you!

It's not that ktm is better than the competition, there just isn't any competition! The big 4 flat out can not compete with their heavy ass 4 stroke trail bikes. The only companies that even come close are the other euro brands like Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husky.

The 525 is an amazing bike! With a four speed box and an engine that is so powerfull and so full of torque that it really only needs 3rd and 4th.

It is mental fast but it handles like a bike with half it's capacity and is still capable of cornering.

Don't get me wrong you do need to respect it or it will tire you out after a few minutes but ride it properly short shifting and you will suddenly start to think that your competion is reversing towards you!

The only problem that I have found is that starting in softer conditions means that you can't put all the power down straight out of the gate unless you want to go nowhere and just dig a big hole.

Buy one you'll love it.

Everyone says how light the KTM's are but according to specs. they are just as heavy as any Yamahas.

this is like saying a 450 is only 10-15 lbs heavier than a 250 2 stroke. It's not just about what the scale says, it's how heavy a bike feels. Yamaha's are known for being top heavy, KTM's are not. KTM also offers about 10 2 stroke off road bikes, the big 4? NADA!

I want the new 2007 KTM 400 XCW. From what i have read, basically it is the same as the 06 EXC, right? The new black wheels alone are the sell for me. Well, plus a ton of other things, but the $$$$ is the only thing holding me back. Someday...

Basically the same but no spark arrestor and I believe no lights now. It's wired for them but they are not installed.

I ride 90% desert and 10% mountains (6000' and above) and the bike has been flawless for me so far. Starts up EVERY time....never used the choke yet. Never changed the jetting (other than the dealer initially setting it up) and it runs great in all conditions No complaints!!!

I've read several people that are picking up 06's for $1200-1400 off sticker right now. I looked into the black wheels and they only wanted $200 to swap them at the time of purchase. KTM also has 6 months, 0 down and 0 interest. ?

Go for it....you only live once and you aren't getting any younger!! :lame:

Thanks for the pep.

Yeah, i am going to get one for sure, it is just i have a lot of stuff going on this coming year in 2007 (job change and a move, etc).

But with this new job, extra $$$$. So for sure by next year this time, i will be at least getting the "old" 2007 KTM 400 XCW or a new 2008 version.

Either way, i am eventually getting one. I have been talking about the EXC and XCW to my father in law who is 55 or so. He wants one more than i do.

So hopefully sometime soon, two new 400 XCW's.

What else is different from the 2007 400 XCW compared to the 2006 400 EXC?

ktm is a fine bike, dont get me wrong. i dont see the hype though. more expensive then the big 4 for the initial purchase, parts are pricier when needed to repair, the suspension seems to be(from what i read, i dont have one) a weak point front and rear, so whats up?

I do not see a weight advantage when compared to say a wr. Please point out why the KTM's are so good so I can not rule one out as I always have.

Ummm, some proof of this statement, please ??? ?:lame:

look it up yourself.

ktm is alot bigger in europe than it is in the us, but not for long anyway. plus the ktm ergonomics are perfect for euro tracks, which are different than some tracks in the us.