Workout Energy...

4-5 days/week I cross train, doing both cardio and weight training. My engery level is pretty good, but sometimes I could use a boost for the last 15 or so minutes of my workout. Essentially, I'd like to keep a high-level of intensity throughout my entire workout. Any suggestions in terms before workout foods? Supplements? I eat right, lots of small meals every 3 hours and I hydrate pretty well. My workouts are pretty good, but I'd like to take it up a few notches intensity-wise...

Hi Bryan, Max Muscle makes a product call Full blown. It has Creatine, Nitric Oxide, and Glutamine along with Infused Dextrose and a Glycogen promoter. I use it for weight training and it also works great for riding. Great pump and you can ride for a long time. ?:lame: Check it out I'm sure you'll like it.

Make sure you are cycling your work-outs. i.e. changing up your work outs about every 12 weeks. I will usually change from high rep high intensity to lower reps higher weights every 10-12 weeks. I change when I notice I can't add any more weight or don't get as tired toward the end of my workouts. It doesn't matter what you change to just need to change it up to break through the muscle memory. That should help you with the energy levels too.

Also add some complex carbs to your pre-workout meal. They should burn slower and help keep you going.

Good question. The way you are eating is the way to do it.....5 to 6 meals per day. Make sure your macro nutrients are in the correct ratios. 50, 30 ,20. 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. the majority of your carbs should be complex carbs. You can go down to 15% fat but not less then that. fat is essential. Vitamens A,D,E,and,K are fat soluble. Too low fat and you are vitamine shortage.

Fat is also a good sourse of energy for endurance. My guess is that if you had more fat in The blood for energy use in the cardo portion of your woorkout you would have more glucose left for your weight lifting. L-Carnitine is the amino acid responsible for releasing fat into the blood stream. Taking 500 mg before a workout will give you more energy during your workout.

One thing you may consider is to seperate your cardio from your weight lifting. The reason is that you can not store protein in your body but in your blood stream. Once the protein is used from your blood stream you go into a catabolic state. Catabolism is a state where your body will brake down muscle tissue to free up protein for the working muscles. Basicly you are cannibalising your own body. The last thing you want in to do is disable the muscle you have worked so hard to build.

The other thing is to just get gross.

Kevin

BB, you didn't supply enough info. What are you trying to do? Build muscle, loose fat, increase strength, or increase endurance? 1 out of 4 is hard to do...2 out 4 is a very difficult...3 of the 4 is next to impossible even on the best drugs in the world and to have it all,,,well, only on an infomercial!