Sign in to follow this  

How to ride with MX boots? Help!

I had the same problem with my first ever pair of MX boots. Lifting your left leg to upshift is not condusive to controlled riding!

I found that if I loosened the ankle buckles a little it gave me enough flex to make shifting easier. It also became easier to shift as the boots broke in and loosened up a little. I also mastered hooking the front part of the sole (the part that extends out from the front of the boot) under the shifter and using that to upshift, instead of the top of the boot.

I hesitate to ask this question due to its simplicity...How do you shift and brake with MX boots on? I have owned a couple different pairs of MX boots over the years and have never gotten use to them. I have always revert back to work boots after a couple rides. Both pair of MX boots seem to be way too stiff in the ankles. It feels like I am riding in downhill ski boots. I can't flex at the ankle to shift or brake. I end up taking my entire foot up off the pegs and tapping on the shifter/brake with my toe. Are they too tight? Are they too cheap (Fox)? Is it a matter of breaking them in more? This is a simple concept and I am missing something. :devil:
I hesitate to ask this question due to its simplicity...How do you see and stay cool with MX helmet on? I have owned a couple different MX helmets over the years and have never gotten use to them. I have always reverted back to no helmet after a couple rides. Both pair of MX helmets seem to be way too restrictive. It feels like I am riding in a tunnel. I can't see all around me without turning my head or feel the cool breeze run through my silky blonde hair. I end up sweating excessively and crashing into oncoming riders. Are they too tight? Are they too cheap (Fox)? Is it a matter of breaking them in more? This is a simple concept and I am missing something. :thumbsdn:

I found all these complainingñ about boots very stupid.

I have been riding for 6 months and i have made the lousy and stupid decision of buying Thor and fox boots.

I am now on my third pair Tech 8`s that i got for $300. I was looking for some SG10`s but they weren't available.

I am truly happy with them. I have cased doubles at the track, and i have hit very big rocks in a not so nice way at the trails. Where the ****ing cheap Fox boots wouldn't have protected me and i would have been injured.

While trail riding i have had to get off the bike and push, i have crossed water crossings, and big poodles. My bike broke down the other day and i had to walk a considerable distance, and guess what it ain't as bad as some whiners say it is to walk with MX boots.

Every time i use them i remember about the posts and the whining and it gets o my nerves.

Id rather be uncomfortable than injured.

But the thing is that they aren't uncomfortable at all.

Now having someone whining about fox boots which are made with the thinest pieces of cardboard they could find is unforgivable.

I found all these complainingñ about boots very stupid.

I have been riding for 6 months and i have made the lousy and stupid decision of buying Thor and fox boots.

I am now on my third pair Tech 8`s that i got for $300. I was looking for some SG10`s but they weren't available.

I am truly happy with them. I have cased doubles at the track, and i have hit very big rocks in a not so nice way at the trails. Where the ****ing cheap Fox boots wouldn't have protected me and i would have been injured.

While trail riding i have had to get off the bike and push, i have crossed water crossings, and big poodles. My bike broke down the other day and i had to walk a considerable distance, and guess what it ain't as bad as some whiners say it is to walk with MX boots.

Every time i use them i remember about the posts and the whining and it gets o my nerves.

Id rather be uncomfortable than injured.

But the thing is that they aren't uncomfortable at all.

Now having someone whining about fox boots which are made with the thinest pieces of cardboard they could find is unforgivable.

You've been riding for 6 months and have gone through 3 pairs of Tech 8's? That does it, I'm getting SIDI's.

By the way, were they french poodles? Did they try to bite you?

I have had the same problem as LM8946 with my 2nd hand tech 8's. It was the first time i hade ridden in MX boots and found it very limiting and difficult at first to change gears and brake properly because you cannot feel much through them compared to work boots, which is what i used to wear.

But after jumping on my mates CRF 450, it was very much easier to change gears and i put this down to the gear lever being in a different position (namely being longer thus not having to 'wedge' my foot under it like on the DRZ to change up gears). So i am going to change the position of my lever up wards and see if this works. If not im going to consider getting a longer one or working something out that way. I suggest you should try this too LM8946 :devil:

Boots are supposed to be stiff they protect you r feet shins and keep you from getting burned. Comfort is good take the boots off put on some flip flops and stay at camp or worse yet buy a quad then you don't have to wear boots at all or even a helmet with all that hard to see problem. All mx boots are better than none, buck up break them in and deal with the pain baby. My seven year old can shift just fine and let me tell you with out his FOX boots he would have been hurt a thousand times over and he never complains yells and screams but never complains. I moved my shifter up a tooth I have big feet and I use the metal toe to shift.

wr 250 mine

ttr125 moms

ttr125 girls

ttr90 boys

I hesitate to ask this question due to its simplicity...How do you shift and brake with MX boots on? I have owned a couple different pairs of MX boots over the years and have never gotten use to them. I have always revert back to work boots after a couple rides. Both pair of MX boots seem to be way too stiff in the ankles. It feels like I am riding in downhill ski boots. I can't flex at the ankle to shift or brake. I end up taking my entire foot up off the pegs and tapping on the shifter/brake with my toe. Are they too tight? Are they too cheap (Fox)? Is it a matter of breaking them in more? This is a simple concept and I am missing something. :devil:

Seriously, You should try the Alpinestar Tech 4 boots. They are much more flexible than cheap Fox boot. I have heard good things about Thor Quadrant boots but haven't tried them. The Tech 4 is what I use. I tried higher grade boots than this but couldn't shift or brake as I was used to. You should make sure your brake petal is level with the foot petal and the shifter is about one notch higher than the shifter.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Oxtar TCX PRO! Killer boots. Due to their design they have very little break in period. I have only worn them on 2 rides so far but have had no trouble shifting or braking. I could walk miles in them.

Yeah I had to adjust my shifter a little but also you got to wear them a little bit to break them in before you ride also if you want a really comfortable durable and flexable pair of mx boots get the Thor Quadtrant boots I have had a pair of those for over 2 yrs now and they are great. they never hurt my feet and they are very flexable your able to run in them right off the bat and very durable.

Answer mode's here, took a couple rides to break in but are a lot better than work boots for protection, never used boots before these, but feel naked without them now

I can't take credit for the following, it was posted by Dragonrider1 on the East Tennessee Riders forum. Interesting technique for breaking in MX boots:

Many decades ago I bought the top of the line Answer boots. "Great feel" they said. "Flexible yet firm!" they said. BS!! I thought as I was wearing what felt like a pair of steel traps. When I was about to throw them away after a motocross race one of the Honda factory team guys explained what I needed to do. "Get a nice thick towel that's soaked in hot water, and I mean hot enough to nearly burn your hands. Put it over the toes and let it sit for a few moments to get the heat and moisture into the leather... then find a nice big hammer and beat the hell out of it through the towel. don't hit the boot directly, but use the towel. When it's still moist, just work the toe area up and down for a while. Best to do this while just sitting there watching a TV show as it takes a while. You may have to re-heat that towel a few times." I did so. They were right, AWESOME boots!!

No one ever explains the fast break in procedures when you buy them, but it's nice to run into the teams that use them and find out how they get them to work right.

That procedure has now worked equally well on 4 pairs of MX boots. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

I just bought a pair of THOR Quadrants. I have the same problems with shifting and braking, no feedback feel when braking, not flexible, toe is too large.

They are plastic. How does taking a shower, wet towel, or any other methods make a plastic boot flexible?

I need a boot that is more fexible, lower toe area, to control the bikes functions better that is not a high dollar boot, I realize I will compromise some protection.

I have read thru the entire post, are there any other helpful suggestions or boots?

I think enough has been said on this subject. Let's move on to more productive chit chat.

Cher'o,

Dwight